Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog food alternatives?

• 20-07-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a small terrier cross dog aged approx 6. I want to start giving her better food, currently a usual day consists of half a tub of dog food , some dry nuts and two treats. what human foods are good for dogs that I could start introducing? shes started getting tinned sardines once a week also

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

You could try feeding her a raw diet or fresh meat and bone. If you look up raw diets you will get a better idea. Fwiw I used to feed my boxer a mix of chciken legs and thighs, minced meat, lamb, sheep liver and whatever type of fish wad the cheapest. I would also throw in pork and sausages although these are not so good for dogs she liked them I would just mix it all together. I think it was about 2-4% of body weight in meat so for my dog that was 450g per day. It would cost me about 30€ to feed her for 26days so it was comparable to expensive dog food and cheaper than the tinned food.

There is a company but I don't know the name of it, that sells 10kg boxes of offal, ducks necks and that kind of thing for pretty cheap. They also sell prepared raw diet I think. They are based in Newtown,co.wicklow but deliver,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

You could try feeding her a raw diet or fresh meat and bone. If you look up raw diets you will get a better idea. Fwiw I used to feed my boxer a mix of chciken legs and thighs, minced meat, lamb, sheep liver and whatever type of fish wad the cheapest. I would also throw in pork and sausages although these are not so good for dogs she liked them I would just mix it all together. I think it was about 2-4% of body weight in meat so for my dog that was 450g per day. It would cost me about 30€ to feed her for 26days so it was comparable to expensive dog food and cheaper than the tinned food.

There is a company but I don't know the name of it, that sells 10kg boxes of offal, ducks necks and that kind of thing for pretty cheap. They also sell prepared raw diet I think. They are based in Newtown,co.wicklow but deliver,.
    Great thank you so much for that. So is cooked meat not recommended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

You can feed her cooked food(without bones!) if you like but raw is better as it retains all the nutrients etc and you can give them bones without worrying if they are going to splinter and do internal damage. It's also a lot less hassle! We went on holidays for 1 week to the uk and it was so simple to continue her raw diet without changes as opposed to having to swap food if we had been cooking her food.

Maybe others can weigh in on the cooked diet as I don't really know anything about it.

If your worried about the dog getting a taste for blood or whatever, don't be! It's a complete myth. My mother trotted out that line for months when we switched to raw but had to take it all back as the only change in my dog was a huge improvement in her coat and her not so smelly breath which she gave you every opportunity to smell ad she loved *kisses*

This has a lot of good info in it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056750085

Advertisement