Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB - not registered

Options
  • 20-07-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all, just found out the other day that the house we've been renting for almost a year is not registered with the PRTB. Our landlord is usually never one to get back to us about repairs etc. for example our dishwasher had been broken for weeks now and we're paying enough rent to live here that she should have replied by now. Can anyone fill me in on what this means and is it a disadvantage? The person from PRTB told us that she needs to have the property registered. Does this mean she's dodging tax get still charging a lot for rent? Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It means that your landlord is breaking the law which requires them to register. It in no way reduces your rights as tenants and is between the landlord and the PRTB, no concern of yours tbh.

A dishwasher is not legally required in a rental property however it is normal that if a property is rented with certain appliances that all are functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dildo S. Trap

athtrasna wrote: »
    It means that your landlord is breaking the law which requires them to register. It in no way reduces your rights as tenants and is between the landlord and the PRTB, no concern of yours tbh.

A dishwasher is not legally required in a rental property however it is normal that if a property is rented with certain appliances that all are functioning.

Thank you, that's great news. However, if anything happened such as my partner lost his job does this mean we wouldn't be able to apply for rent allowance I we ever have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thank you, that's great news. However, if anything happened such as my partner lost his job does this mean we wouldn't be able to apply for rent allowance I we ever have to?

The PRTB and the social welfare have nothing to do with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dildo S. Trap

The PRTB and the social welfare have nothing to do with each other.

I know but what I mean is the landlord would have to supply some info about the property on a rent allowance form and would presumably be reluctant to do that seeing at the property isn't registered? We prob won't need to apply anyways, but it's good to know these things as the partners job is only on contract for the minute. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The issue may be that your landlord will refuse to accept rent allowance but again that's nothing to do with the PRTB

• Advertisement

Registered or not, most landlords are refusing rent allowance these days. The registration is a landlord obligation, it is not for you to worry about as you can still avail of the services provided by the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I know but what I mean is the landlord would have to supply some info about the property on a rent allowance form and would presumably be reluctant to do that seeing at the property isn't registered? We prob won't need to apply anyways, but it's good to know these things as the partners job is only on contract for the minute. Thanks :)

He doesn't have to fill out the form but if he doesn't being regd with PRTB isn't relevant. Also rent allowance isn't a sure fire if you're renting the HSE will inspect the house and if they feel like it's not suitable they won't give you RA. and are you sure your rent isn't above the local limit for your area? A couple without children generally have quite low limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    He doesn't have to fill out the form but if he doesn't being regd with PRTB isn't relevant

Not true, I had to show the CWO it was registered with the PRTB when I went for rent allowance 3/4 years ago. They also asked for a letter stating the LL owned it. Drumcondra area. Different areas ask for different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

athtrasna wrote: »

Actually, at the risk of going OT, I think a washing machine is required since 2013.

Actually, at the risk of going OT, I think a washing machine is required since 2013.

No

• Advertisement

No

Actually, yes.

With effect from 1 February 2013, all rental units must have a washing machine within the unit or access to a communal washing machine within the building.

Guys I hate to point out the bleeding obvious here, but the OP mentioned a dishwasher, not a washing machine.

Guys I hate to point out the bleeding obvious here, but the OP mentioned a dishwasher, not a washing machine.

Oops! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Actually, yes.

With effect from 1 February 2013, all rental units must have a washing machine within the unit or access to a communal washing machine within the building.

Sweet f-ing baby Jesus.

Zulu, watch your language there please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Apologies

Actually, yes.

A washing machine is a lot different from a dishwasher.

A washing machine is a lot different from a dishwasher.

You will note that The Morrigan pointed out my mistake, and I acknowledged it as I misread the post. But thank you for putting me in my place.

You will note that The Morrigan pointed out my mistake, and I acknowledged it as I misread the post. But thank you for putting me in my place.

I noticed after replying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- move on........

• Advertisement
Advertisement