Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway v. Tipperary, SFC Q R4A, 26th July@7pm, Tullamore

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Furious umpire mustache man is furious !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Good goal. Pity about them black shorts he's wearing. Looks awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Nice goal, especially because he should be on the sideline :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Score? Time left?

4-12 Galway 1-10 Tipp 50 minutes

4-13 Galway 1-11 Tipp 58 minutes

Match gone flat the last few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Galway for Sam

*(If Donegal don't win it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oh Shít

Game just drifting along to its conclusion.

The 4 goals in such a short period of time was a knife to the heart of this game.

Tipp Goal

Galway 4-14 Tipp 2-12 64 minutes

Lapin wrote: »
    Oh Shít

Pull the other one.

• Advertisement

Cracking save.

But how the hell did Galway find themselves in that position.

Oh my Jesus.

Another Tipp Goal !!!

Galway 4-15 Tipp 3-12 67 minutes

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Pull the other one.

Eh ?

Eh ?

Was mocking you getting nervous with your 9 point lead

Lovely point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Bad period either side of ht for Tipp. Best of luck Galway but I don't think they'll go much further

Goal-mania

Penalty for Tipp for foot block

Galway 4-17 Tipp 4-12 70 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Ref being a tad sympathetic with that penalty.

All over

Galway advance to play Kerry in a week's time.

Points win matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

An enjoyable match, some nice football played by both teams.

Tipp were very frustrating and one of things that really annoyed me about them was whenever they got a score back they never seemed to win the next kickout which is absolutely crucial. Tipp made some very juvenile mistakes at times but they look to have a talented group of players so they should push on in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

If Tipperary a side that have been playing out of div 4 are able to score 24 points today how much will Kerry score against that Galway defence next weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

If Tipperary a side that have been playing out of div 4 are able to score 24 points today how much will Kerry score against that Galway defence next weekend?
    16-48?

• Advertisement

Canavan - "Galway play well in Croke Park".

:confused: We haven't won a game there for 13 years.

Nah - Kerry will surprise everyone by playing a super-strength ultra-duvet blanket defence and will end up keeping Galway scoreless but only score 3 points, which will result in Pat Spillane spontaneously combusting in the studio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Ye but the last time we won there we brought Sam down the N4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wish they'd give it a rest with the Neymar and Messi shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bad week ahead for the Galway footballers

no Galway races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Mokuba wrote: »
    Some serious underestimation of Tipperary in this thread.

Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

But they do. The sports council is taxpayer funded and gives the GAA significantly more than any other sport. Good to see Tipp has put that to could use in the fitness department!

My point was that no-one in Ireland pays taxes in dollars.

But to debate the substance of your point, Gaelic football and hurling are the most popular sports in the country, it is perfectly logical that they would accordingly receive the most funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Mokuba wrote: »
    Some serious underestimation of Tipperary in this thread.

fairly justified as it transpired!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    which will result in Pat Spillane spontaneously combusting in the studio

We can but hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

A well needed win, Galway showing steady, but slow, progress over the past few years. First QF since 2008 and if we put up a good showing I hope Mulholland gets another couple of years at the helm.

Wouldn't be too concerned with the big late concession as the game was essentially over. Really looking forward to the Kerry game, don't think we'll disappoint (not that I think we'll win, which is still shows where Galway are:().

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

THFC wrote: »
    A well needed win, Galway showing steady, but slow, progress over the past few years. First QF since 2008 and if we put up a good showing I hope Mulholland gets another couple of years at the helm.

Wouldn't be too concerned with the big late concession as the game was essentially over. Really looking forward to the Kerry game, don't think we'll disappoint (not that I think we'll win, which is still shows where Galway are:().

I'd worry for yous in Croke Park next time out. Still though, good progress as you said. Some brilliant footballers there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

THFC wrote: »
    ......Wouldn't be too concerned with the big late concession as the game was essentially over. Really looking forward to the Kerry game, don't think we'll disappoint (not that I think we'll win, which is still shows where Galway are:().

Well done to Galway today, entertaining game and a good advertisement for those looking at it on Sky for the 1st time, good movement and football skills from both sides. I like what I see from Tipp, they played slightly "green" today possibly under a weight of expectation but hopefully they'll learn and improve.....

but anyways it's beginning to strike me as a trite remark this whole "foot off the throat", easing down argument as a mitigator for conceding a raft of scores late in the game .. same point was made during Meath/Kildare. There's bigger aspects of the defensive game here than just lads not been tuned on -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I watched this game in the pub, really enjoyed it. End to end stuff and some great skills/scoring on show. Much better than some of the horrible stuff often served up by northern teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

But how many championship games have Galway lost there since 2001?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd worry for yous in Croke Park next time out. Still though, good progress as you said. Some brilliant footballers there.
    I think we'll lose by less than 7 in a free-flowing attacking game that we never really threatened to win.
    Red Pepper wrote: »

And more importantly, how many of those games were we favourites? Long time since Galway played poorly in Croke Park, at any level, and most of these players would have won an underage AI there. There'll be no fear at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On my count 4 and one draw
    '02 QF v Kerry
    '05 QF v Cork
    '08 QF v Kerry
    '13 Rnd 4 v Cork.

The draw was '03 v Donegal, lost the replay in Castlebar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Massive respect to the Tipp fans who left before their first goal. A load of youngsters were behind the goals giving Shane Walsh abuse in the warm-ups and celebrating the career of Gonzalo Higuain.

Great to win but Galway were shocking for the last 10 minutes. You could put that down to the raft of changes and laziness at the back. They took off the best forwards and they took their eye off when they had a ridiculous lead. That said though there was a lot to be happy about.

Walsh was fantastic and just seems to have ridiculous technique and focus. He'll get a lot of credit in the papers. Conroy was heavily linked with the better Galway periods and helped settle the lads a lot when things went badly. Cummins and Martin recovered from nervy starts and was delighted to see Danny **** one into the roof of the net. Lundy was my MOTM. Nonstop work and when he gets the ball he's too fast to stop. Bradshaw had his best defensive game in a long time before the united sleep at the back. Varley was outstanding too. There was a period where the HB's would make 70 yard runs. Healy's KO's were a lot better but conceding 4 goals won't put him above benching. Kavanagh and Varley were constantly making runs for him and the midfield was a bit better although they lost a lot of breaking ball again.

Mul has bought himself another year IMO. Kerry will probably be too much more than likely but Galway finally seem to be in the top 10 counties again for the first time in a very long time and Mulholland has been heavily involved. When the match was won he was still bringing in the likes of Comer and Adrian Varley when Eddie Hoare was an option.

The Galway football depression of Late '08-mid '13 is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

On my count 4 and one draw
    '02 QF v Kerry
    '05 QF v Cork
    '08 QF v Kerry
    '13 Rnd 4 v Cork.

The draw was '03 v Donegal, lost the replay in Castlebar

Tyrone beat us easily in 2004 but Galway were coming to the end of an era at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Massive respect to the Tipp fans who left before their first goal. A load of youngsters were behind the goals giving Shane Walsh abuse in the warm-ups and celebrating the career of Gonzalo Higuain.

Crowd of clowns. Underage drink id say
    Walsh was fantastic and just seems to have ridiculous technique and focus. He'll get a lot of credit in the papers. Conroy was heavily linked with the better Galway periods and helped settle the lads a lot when things went badly. Cummins and Martin recovered from nervy starts and was delighted to see Danny **** one into the roof of the net. Lundy was my MOTM. Nonstop work and when he gets the ball he's too fast to stop. Bradshaw had his best defensive game in a long time before the united sleep at the back. Varley was outstanding too. There was a period where the HB's would make 70 yard runs. Healy's KO's were a lot better but conceding 4 goals won't put him above benching. Kavanagh and Varley were constantly making runs for him and the midfield was a bit better although they lost a lot of breaking ball again.

Agree with all of this really, especially Lundy and Varley. Those along with Hanley in the first half were the standouts for me. I think we seem to look a lot more potent when Conroy's in a FF rather than around the middle. Delighted for Danny and I thought Martin played a key playmaking role, involved in a lot of scores without scoring. Army wont get the start in a week of training but seems a very good option from the bench. Same again provided O'Donnell gets over his concussion (Kavangh owes him a pint or 12)
    [/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Daithí Burke was excellent before Galway gave up on defending I thought. That said I felt that the halfbacks were excellent while Galway were focused. Bradshaw was better than he was against Mayo, Varley was so involved in everything and GO'D never really got going because he had a neck injury pre-game that was worked on fairly heavily during the warmups.

Just saw that Walsh point. Thought it bounced off the ref during the game. He also had one hop that I've never seen fool a player so badly before. Delighted he recovered from his penalty miss against Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That said I felt that the halfbacks were excellent while Galway were focused. Bradshaw was better than he was against Mayo, Varley was so involved in everything and GO'D never really got going because he had a neck injury pre-game that was worked on fairly heavily during the warmups.

Varley was good going forward. However, in the first half before Galway got the goals, the half back line were struggling badly. Just like against Mayo, they were unable to win any breaks from the kick-outs. If they dont start winning breaks, then Kerry will punish them far more than Tipp did.
    Delighted for Danny and I thought Martin played a key playmaking role, involved in a lot of scores without scoring.

One of Martin's biggest weaknesses is that he can be too selfish at times. He shoots from very tough angles. However, yesterday, he was quite the opposite, playing in team-mates at every opportunity. He played pivotal passes in Galways two opening goals and had a decent match. Still cant figure out why Mulholland dropped him after the Sligo match when he didnt play badly.

CUmmins did reasonably well but as some people on here said before, he can be frustrating with some handy wides.
    Mul has bought himself another year IMO. Kerry will probably be too much more than likely but Galway finally seem to be in the top 10 counties again for the first time in a very long time and Mulholland has been heavily involved. When the match was won he was still bringing in the likes of Comer and Adrian Varley when Eddie Hoare was an option.

The Galway football depression of Late '08-mid '13 is over!

Yeah, he should probably get 1 more year as he has got a limited bunch of players to an AI Q/F. However, it should be remembered that Galway only had to beat London, Sligo & Tipp to get there. Even in Galways current poor state, they should be beating those teams. I suspect if the draw was less kind and Galway had come up against Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan, Kildare, Meath etc. then we may not be in an AI QF. I wouldnt be too optimistic just yet.It may all come crashing down next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Daithí Burke was excellent before Galway gave up on defending I thought. That said I felt that the halfbacks were excellent while Galway were focused. Bradshaw was better than he was against Mayo, Varley was so involved in everything and GO'D never really got going because he had a neck injury pre-game that was worked on fairly heavily during the warmups.

Just saw that Walsh point. Thought it bounced off the ref during the game. He also had one hop that I've never seen fool a player so badly before. Delighted he recovered from his penalty miss against Mayo.

Burke was good and effective on the ball when he first came on, he passed it simply and early but he is a ridiculously bad defender and tackler. Take a look at his attempted tackles leading up to some of the Tipp goals. Yikes.

Having said that Centre back is a very tough position to play these days.

Advertisement