Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

DezoLord wrote: »
    "We are unable to verify the address you entered." That's the error I get. I've entered all the details correctly. I'm thinking it could be because of the Post Code which my town doesn't have...

Strange one. Tried 0000000 or Eire or your Eircode?

Parcel Motel if it doesn't work or set up a camelcamelcamel alert for Amazon when they get more in stock maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Thanks guys, will try this Parcel Motel thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Guy in work ordered one of these but ended up with two as he cancelled an order with the first supplier over prolonged delivery but it arrived anyway so instead of returning it he is looking to sell it for what he paid for it, 200 euro including delivery.

He bought it direct from Nvidia and it is unopened and includes warrantee etc

He is living in Ratoath area or can be collected from around Dublin 15.

If anyone interested PM me and I will pass on his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Guy in work ordered one of these but ended up with two as he cancelled an order with the first supplier over prolonged delivery but it arrived anyway so instead of returning it he is looking to sell it for what he paid for it, 200 euro including delivery.

sent ye a pm there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

He ended up returning it to the store as he was concerned he'd miss out on the return policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Looking forward to your review Hitchens :) from the point of view of someone just looking for a fast tablet at a decent price

Here we go then Moonboy,

10 days since the Shield arrived from Amazon via An Post.

Nicely packaged outer cover and sturdy box inside.

The on/switch not a problem really as the cover that I bought for €10 guides my finger directly to the switch without looking.

Charging cable and plug not a problem as I have a Kindle Paperwhite.

Nice enough chassis and I really like the front speakers.

No bloatware to speak of.

The screen is very responsive and clarity is top class.

I installed a 3D Pool app and it works great.

Video working great too.

I got a new update this evening so nVidia are on the ball.

I added a 32GB Micro SD card and it was recognised instantly and gives great extra storage. I didn't integrate it with the internal storage was because I might want to use it in another device at a later stage.

I'm very pleased with the Shield K1 so far, and I prefer it to my iPad Mini 2.

Great to hear you like it Hitchens. They are fast with updates. Just updating myself now. Doze mode implementation will help with standby drain I'm sure, although with WiFi off I barely get any

Installed the new system update just now!

Hitchens wrote: »
    Installed the new system update just now!

Really impressed with Nvidia with their timely updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My Shield LTE is getting 6.0.1

Think it's behind others but then the LTE version Alway was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The total lack of these tablets for sale anywhere, along with the below article have people speculating Nvidia has a version 3 on the way.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/12/new-nvidia-shield-tablet-pops-up-at-the-fcc/

Venom wrote: »
    The total lack of these tablets for sale anywhere, along with the below article have people speculating Nvidia has a version 3 on the way.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/12/new-nvidia-shield-tablet-pops-up-at-the-fcc/

Mine is after slowing down from the last update. Was only thinking about looking at it's replacement... Or maybe Nvidia made it slow just for that reason.

god's toy wrote: »
    Mine is after slowing down from the last update. Was only thinking about looking at it's replacement... Or maybe Nvidia made it slow just for that reason.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it still worth buying, see it in stock from Kompett for 199

Is it still worth buying, see it in stock from Kompett for 199

It's not in stock there. Availability:customstock.gif New stock expected in 4 day(s) has shown there for the last few days now. Even the bigger e-tailers like Amazon and Overclockers have none in stock which has led to people on Reddit and the official forums speculating a new model is on the way.

cheers, I was just about to pull the trigger had it in the basket and all, might be best hold off then if a new one around the corner. Mrs was just pushing me to get a tablet for the kids* today. They'll have to wait another while.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on it?

Nope but that's next on my list.

Nope but that's next on my list.

Apart from security patches, I always do a factory reset when the OS gets an update as it saves hassle in the long run.

Just bought one from the BT shop they weren't in stock yesterday, worked out at €176.07 in total Including the €3.50 to address pal.

Just bought one from the BT shop they weren't in stock yesterday, worked out at €176.07 in total Including the €3.50 to address pal.

Was that a brick and mortar store as there online store shows em out of stock.

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-940-81761-2500-500-BQ80.html?src=15

• Advertisement

Was that a brick and mortar store as there online store shows em out of stock.

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-940-81761-2500-500-BQ80.html?src=15

Yea online says more than 50 due in..the price will probably go up when stock appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Looks like it's this week that all the major e-tailers are looking to get stock in for the shield. Komplett saying less than 2 days till stock now. Dunno whether to pull the trigger or wait for the rumored next version.

Looks like it's this week that all the major e-tailers are looking to get stock in for the shield. Komplett saying less than 2 days till stock now. Dunno whether to pull the trigger or wait for the rumored next version.

In the same boat here. So many rumors ranging from production shortages due to Nintendo's new console getting all the chips to the FCC filing documents for a new model. Buying now only for a new model to drop a few weeks later would do my head in :mad:

All gone wrong:

Komplett: New stock expected in 144 day(s)

BT Shop: Product out of stock. Due date unavailable.

Now i've a K1 Controller and Tough case and no tablet : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

Rumor: NVIDIA Reportedly Cancels The SHIELD 2 Tablet
    NVIDIA has reportedly cancelled its plans for the SHIELD 2 Tablet, which would have been the successor to the popular and astoundingly affordable gaming-focused SHIELD Tablet K1 that launched in 2015. This is of course, just a rumor at this point since no official confirmation has been made available from the company, but it seems entirely likely and quite plausible given the image of the document that NVIDIA appears to have sent off to the FCC, asking that they dismiss their request for a grant on the device due to cancellation of the plans to produce the tablet.

Back to showing 20 due in 5-7 days on BT site, number looks to be dropping as people are ordering out of the initial 50 batch. It's a slight glimmer of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

I managed to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 instead at a good price so went with that with the uncertainty of the shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

In the market for a robust Android 7/8 inch tablet, can wait a few months and have narrowed between this and the new Nexus.
    Anyone know if the Nexus 2016 will be USB Type C?

My BT shop order is still processing, says stock expected Thursday.

Think lidi or Aldi have a Lenovo tablet on offer this week for about €70, might be a good inbeteen tablet. Surely worth €50 when the k1's come back in stock.

• Advertisement

Got an update to 6.0.1 today. probably just the google patch update and nothing added. (mine has LTE so probably behind others)

This update for SHIELD Tablet K1 contains important system enhancements and bug fixes, including:

Conformity with OpenGL ES 3.2

Additional optimizations to Android Doze

Fixed issue with intermittent Auto-Rotation shut downs

Fixed audio playback stutter when the display is off

Update to Android 6.0 Security Patch Level July 1, 2016

Overall stability and security improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Havent noticed any lag yet.

But even prior to the update never noticed or received many complaints about lagging and i have 5 at home.

Back in stock (September 18th) in Amazon for £140.55

Lowest price ever and with the weak £, a great deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0171BS9CG/?tag=ho01f-21

EDIT: looks like it is sold out at that price, back up to £169.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'm in the states next week and Best Buy seem to sell these, might be worth getting one for my son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Worth swapping my shield tv with remote for the K1 with cover? Seems it can do everything the tv can (bar 4k) plus it's portable. Is there a new model due soon?

sweetie wrote: »
    Worth swapping my shield tv with remote for the K1 with cover? Seems it can do everything the tv can (bar 4k) plus it's portable. Is there a new model due soon?

If it was my decision, i'd keep the TV all day.

I have both, i guess it all depends on your usage, but i find the TV a superior product, although i like having the Tablet as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Iv ordered one of these today they are back in stock on komplett now.
    Looking to replace my ageing iPad without spending 500 so looks decent way to go looking forward to getting it next week. I presume you can mirror video onto a smart tv using this without the need for chromecast etc as I can on my s6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Is this still worth a purchase? Feel like treating myself :o

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Iv ordered one of these today they are back in stock on komplett now.
    Looking to replace my ageing iPad without spending 500 so looks decent way to go looking forward to getting it next week. I presume you can mirror video onto a smart tv using this without the need for chromecast etc as I can on my s6?

Yep the device has a mini hdmi port and you can mirror the screen using it.

brevity wrote: »
    Is this still worth a purchase? Feel like treating myself :o

I think so, for the price it's still a powerful device.

• Advertisement

I got this today looks nice and solid must play around when I get home. One question is tho I got no charge cable with it but I got a plug thats like Ireland-US adaptor included.
    I have a android phone charger at home anyway I can use but can I get something to work with this plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

I got this today looks nice and solid must play around when I get home. One question is tho I got no charge cable with it but I got a plug thats like Ireland-US adaptor included.
    I have a android phone charger at home anyway I can use but can I get something to work with this plug?

Any charger will charge the tablets, i use the samsung S7 cable and charger, the nvidia charger and the cable and charger from lg smartwatch urbane the fastest charger is the nvidia and the S7 one.

I actually used my s6 fast charger last night and it did not seem to be working on it very well. Really slow charge. I put on normal charger and that worked fine must try s6 one again see is it definitely that. Must get a HDMI mini converter too for mirroring stuff.
    Good tablet tho for the money happy out with it.

I actually used my s6 fast charger last night and it did not seem to be working on it very well. Really slow charge. I put on normal charger and that worked fine must try s6 one again see is it definitely that. Must get a HDMI mini converter too for mirroring stuff.
    Good tablet tho for the money happy out with it.

It can also come down to the USB cable used. Chargers can and do change the current depending on many factors, one of which is cable resistance. You will see you change times decrease with heavier cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Anyone know of a decent keyboard-case combo for the shield. I have the Nvidia magnetic case which is fantastic but if there was a well made keyboard combo case it would be good to have the keyboard separate. I find there's no room to see what you're typing when the on screen keyboard is up. Something that was hinged so it would act like a stand too. I saw an ivso make on Amazon but if anyone has first hand experience of any would be great.

My nVidia Shield K1 tablet updated to Nougat this afternoon. Kudos to the nVidia crew!

Hitchens wrote: »
    My nVidia Shield K1 tablet updated to Nougat this afternoon. Kudos to the nVidia crew!

When you think of it, has there been another android device that's received 4 versions of android from the manufacturer? (as in 7 6 5 4)

When you think of it, has there been another android device that's received 4 versions of android from the manufacturer? (as in 7 6 5 4)

The early Nexus devices maybe?

Changes in the new update......

SHIELD Controller (2017) Support

Updates to SHIELD controller support

New Multitasking Features

Split-screen: Run two apps side by side* in Portrait or Landscape modes
    Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to quickly switch back to the last opened app

Improved Notifications

Multiple notifications from the same app are now bundled for a streamlined experience
    Reply to messages directly from within the notification
    Tap and hold on a notification to quickly silence or block notifications from the app

Improved Power Consumption

Doze on the Go: Doze is now smarter & kicks in even when the device is being carried around

Emoji

Includes all-new Unicode 9 emojis

Usability Improvements

Display & Font size can now separately adjustable to improve readability or screenspace
    Quick Settings can now be customized directly from the menu by tapping “Edit”
    The top Quick Setting tiles can now be accessed with a downward swipe from the lock screen
    Settings now includes a Navigation Menu & Suggestions to improve usability
    The “Clear all” option in Overview have been relocated to the top right

System wide improvements including

New Data Saver: when enabled, limits access to Cellular data for background apps
    New JIT compiler: improves the speed of App & System updates
    Update to Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2016

SHIELD Rewards Program

Introducing SHIELD Rewards, the exclusive loyalty program for SHIELD owners

The early Nexus devices maybe?

Sorry, excluding google's own.

Update hasn't hit mine yet but my one is the first run with stylus so tends to get updates later on.

Nice update too, have to hand it to nvidia for sticking with it when most others would have abandoned it by now.

Sorry, excluding google's own.

Update hasn't hit mine yet but my one is the first run with stylus so tends to get updates later on.

Nice update too, have to hand it to nvidia for sticking with it when most others would have abandoned it by now.

I got the update available message around 11.30 last night which was a surprise as I had done a manual check when I saw your post and everything was up to date at that point :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement