Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Have to laugh at people saying it wont do Limerick any good. When you win by that much in a quarter final it means you are in a good place heading into an all ireland semi final.Limerick knew if they won yesterday it was a semi final against the cats and they know how tough it will be. a close or big win is irrelevant.

If the game was anyway close then you could understand any mention of Wexford being tired but there was 24 points between them for a finish.

No way can can that be excused when the gap is that wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Put simply, Limerick are not as bad as you thought/hoped they were.

I will reserve my judgement until the next game. Then I will know who good Limerick really are. This will be the test. KK are the benchmark. We will see if Limerick are really up to it. Time will tell.

washman3 wrote: »
    Tipp will have learned less from their win over Dublin. Will that affect their performance V Cork in the semi.? Not in the slightest.
    If Wexford were tired, what excuse would you offer for Dublin's display.?
    They were tired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Amprodude wrote: »
    I will reserve my judgement until the next game. Then I will know who good Limerick really are. This will be the test. KK are the benchmark. We will see if Limerick are really up to it. Time will tell.

You've said this,or something similar,before every game..

You said tipp would destroy limerick, didn't happen.
    You then said cork would destroy limerick, yes they won but far from a massive win..

Then you said Wexford would have a handy enough win and Limerick obliterated them..
    Face it, this Limerick team are a lot better than you've given them any credit for..

Kk will be a stern test, but If limerick show up, fix the accuracy and bring the same physicality and speed they had on Sunday, they'll have a right good chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

As we will with Cork. Time will tell and those other similar prophetic cliches.....blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Any chance you'd reply to the rest of that post? Like the part when you said Wexford WILL win, not should or could win but WILL.

If you would admit you got it wrong I'd be able to take you seriously, otherwise I have to seriously question your motivations here, you've done nothing to change my view that you just hate Limerick and are dying for them to be defeated.

Kilkenny are favourites for a reason, they should win that game. Likewise they probably should win the All-Ireland.

However even if Kilkenny won by just a point you'd just say "Told you so, Limerick not up to it", they only way you would swallow your pride and admit you are wrong about this team is if they go and win the All-Ireland. Such an over simplistic way of seeing things, plenty of good teams don't win the All-Ireland.

Also, if Limerick did manage to defeat Kilkenny, you'd most likely only come back and say "I'll reserve my judgement on Limerick until after the final".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Don't forget only this time last year Wexford struggled to beat Carlow (two point margin) in a home qualifier. So they were on a major upward curve this year. It could be argued that they actually punched above their weight this year. They should take a lot of encouragement from their performances and it will be very interesting to see if they can push on next season. As stated here previously promotion in the league will be a major priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

robbiezero wrote: »
    How did Liam Dunne not make changes in his defence until late in the second half? Surely a switch of corner backs at the very least should have been tried. Liam Ryan was getting an awful roasting off Mulcahy and Rossiter wasn't faring much better against Downes and Breen. Shore had a nightmare game on the wing also.

IMO the problem wasn't in defence but out the field. WX were winning SFA out the field. No defence can cope with constant ball delivery like that.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    You've said this,or something similar,before every game..

You said tipp would destroy limerick, didn't happen.
    You then said cork would destroy limerick, yes they won but far from a massive win..

Then you said Wexford would have a handy enough win and Limerick obliterated them..
    Face it, this Limerick team are a lot better than you've given them any credit for..

Kk will be a stern test, but If limerick show up, fix the accuracy and bring the same physicality and speed they had on Sunday, they'll have a right good chance!

Never said Tipp would destroy Limerick at all.

Yes I was hoping Cork would beat Limerick off the park because of the fans giving out about moving the venue away from PUH eventhough Limerick had a home and away agreement with Cork and couldn't hardly relish it when Limerick got to a Munster final. In my books a 6 point victory is a convincing victory and Cork only tore Limerick apart from 54 min onwards and Cork should have won by 8-9 points. Cadogan had two easy misses, he destroyed his marker and his final attempts were wides and by his standards he should have got those two. Harnedy missed an easy one at the end but got 3-4 yards away from his marker. Limerick never looked like scoring a goal and to say Limerick were in game from 54th min onwards is the biggest disillusion I have ever seen on here. Cork were the better team in that game and get over it.

Yes I was wrong with Wexford game but I was expecting a better challenge from them. They were on a role beating both Clare and Waterford and Limerick aren't miles ahead of those two teams. You will agree with me that this won't help Limerick if they need to iron out any major issues ahead of KK. I do think KK will be a big ask but if Limerick deliver I will hold my head up high and say I was wrong.

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    As we will with Cork. Time will tell and those other similar prophetic cliches.....blah blah blah

We are talking about Limerick in this thread not Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Yes I was hoping Cork would beat Limerick off the park because of the fans giving out about moving the venue away from PUH eventhough Limerick had a home and away agreement with Cork and couldn't hardly relish it when Limerick got to a Munster final. In my books a 6 point victory is a convincing victory and Cork only tore Limerick apsrt from 54 min on and we should have won by 8-9 points. Cadogob had two easy misses he destroyed his marker and his final attempts were wides and by his standards he should have got. Harnedy missed an easy one at the end but got 3-4 yards away from his marker. Limerick never looked like scoring a goal and to say Limerick were in game in 54th min onwards was the biggest disillusion I have ever seen on here. Cork were the better team and get over it.

Yes I was wrong with Wexford game but I was expecting a better challenge from then. You will agree with me that this won't help Limerick if they need to iron out any major issues ahead of KK. I do think KK will be a big ask but if Limerick deliver I will hold my head up high and say I was wrong.

You certainly lost a lot of credibility going with Wexford. But so called experts did too, like mullane/deignan.

I felt the knowledgeable people were correct in writing them off. They beat poor teams. Limerick beat Tipp, a top 4 team, and right now we have the 4 best teams left.

You are right about that match, it was just too easy for Limk. Learn nothing from them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Yes I was hoping Cork would beat Limerick off the park because of the fans giving out about moving the venue away from PUH eventhough Limerick had a home and away agreement with Cork and couldn't hardly relish it when Limerick got to a Munster final. In my books a 6 point victory is a convincing victory and Cork only tore Limerick apart from 54 min onwards and Cork should have won by 8-9 points. Cadogan had two easy misses, he destroyed his marker and his final attempts were wides and by his standards he should have got those two. Harnedy missed an easy one at the end but got 3-4 yards away from his marker. Limerick never looked like scoring a goal and to say Limerick were in game from 54th min onwards is the biggest disillusion I have ever seen on here. Cork were the better team in that game and get over it.

Yes I was wrong with Wexford game but I was expecting a better challenge from them. They were on a role beating both Clare and Waterford and Limerick aren't miles ahead of those two teams. You will agree with me that this won't help Limerick if they need to iron out any major issues ahead of KK. I do think KK will be a big ask but if Limerick deliver I will hold my head up high and say I was wrong.

well thats completely incorrect. Shane O Neill got an absolutely fortuitous deflection on a Shane Dowling shot in the first half that only barely went out for a 65. Looked very much like capable of scoring a goal there anyway, and I'm sure I remember some other chances, but not as clear cut as that one anyway. Limerick also hit a host of wides in the first part of the first half and should have been a lot further ahead. Cork reeled them back in, but to say they should have won by 8 or 9 points is ridiculous. Would disagree that Cadogan destroyed his marker too, he was ok, but nothing exceptional that he destroyed him.

Any chance you'd reply to the rest of that post? Like the part when you said Wexford WILL win, not should or could win but WILL.

If you would admit you got it wrong I'd be able to take you seriously, otherwise I have to seriously question your motivations here, you've done nothing to change my view that you just hate Limerick and are dying for them to be defeated.

Kilkenny are favourites for a reason, they should win that game. Likewise they probably should win the -Ireland.

However even if Kilkenny won by just a point you'd just say "Told you so, Limerick not up to it", they only way you would swallow your pride and admit you are wrong about this team is if they go and win the All-Ireland. Such an over simplistic way of seeing things, plenty of good teams don't win the All-Ireland.

Also, if Limerick did manage to defeat Kilkenny, you'd most likely only come back and say "I'll reserve my judgement on Limerick until after the final".

Yes I was wrong with Wexford but I already said I was expecting them to be better than the way they played. I judge Limerick by what I see. Yes they beat Wexford by 24 points but I fear Limerick could get stage fright when they see the black and amber in opposition. I will congrats Limerick if they beat KK, margin don't matter but if they freeze and get thrashed I'm not going to be happy and you won't want to see me on here responding to some of your posts.

The question is then will you say I was right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

bruschi wrote: »
    well thats completely incorrect. Shane O Neill got an absolutely fortuitous deflection on a Shane Dowling shot in the first half that only barely went out for a 65. Looked very much like capable of scoring a goal there anyway, and I'm sure I remember some other chances, but not as clear cut as that one anyway. Limerick also hit a host of wides in the first part of the first half and should have been a lot further ahead. Cork reeled them back in, but to say they should have won by 8 or 9 points is ridiculous. Would disagree that Cadogan destroyed his marker too, he was ok, but nothing exceptional that he destroyed him.

I think Cork are slightly ahead of Limk, but it would make for a great final in a neutral venue ;)

bruschi wrote: »

He got 3 points all the same not an outrageous score but not bad all the same and something i wouldn't be happy with if I was marking him or a manager of the opposite team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

With regard to this game, I know a lot of people are talking about Wexford's fatigue and wondering how much that did play a part.

I don't think it helped them, certainly when chasing a game, tiredness was going to be a factor. But, to be honest, they were never going to win that game. It wasn't tiredness that stopped them dominating aerially as they had in previous matches... it wasn't tiredness that stopped them delivering ball into McDonald. Limerick's performance in the 2nd part of the 1st half was superb, and they absolutely ripped them to shreds. Every battle went Limerick's way and they scored goals.

The game was dead at half-time, it was probably dead after the 1st goal... I think Wexford needed to build a lead, as they did against Clare, but once Limerick opened a gap, they were never going to lose.

Wexford are better than they showed against Limerick, that's for sure. But they're not quite at that level yet... it was said a few times during the build-up, Limerick are further ahead in their development and it showed. They were a bit more fluid and had obviously learned from their Munster final defeat. Wexford are a coming team, they're still very young, had underage success... but still need a bit more quality to challenge. Chin & Redmond have had good seasons, but Browne/Jim-Bob dominated. McGovern was marked out of the game, McDonald was living off scraps and the other forwards didn't really step up to take over the responsibility.

Limerick's work rate, particularly amongst their forwards, was much much higher and put the Wexford backs under serious pressure, causing them to deliver poor ball, make silly mistakes and then maybe their confidence got dented.

Dunne probably should have been quicker to make changes though, he didn't really react to Breen & Hannon's dominance, to Hickey's, or to the space that Mulcahy & Dowling were getting inside. The one thing he did do that worked to some degree was bring McDonald to centre-forward, and he did score a couple of points, but he's been a goal threat all year and it just didn't happen for him around the edge of the square, but the ball in was poor/non-existent.

Limerick weren't perfect. Went for goals when it wasn't on at times... hit some shocking wides. I can think of 4/5 bad wides from Downes alone, but also from Browne, Jim-Bob, Dowling, Mulcahy, Tom Ryan... that won't be good enough the next day. Dowling and Mulcahy ended up tackling each other a few times. The goal we did concede was very poor, the half-back line weren't exactly dominant either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The question is then will you say I was right?

Right about what? So far you appear to be the equivalent of an Eamon Dunphy style crusade against a player/team, keep maintaining they're rubbish knowing full well that the defeat/sub-standard performance you crave so much will eventually come.

Whether that day takes 1 game, 3 games, 5 games or 10 games or even more, you'll be there saying "I told you so", it's lazy and pointless analysis, once you set your mind against a team/player don't ever give them credit, if they do well just make excuses for the opposition.

It makes no sense to pick and choose what games you define a team by, that's deliberately excluding parts of the complete picture.

In answer to your question; there is no question, because by default you have little to no credibility when it comes to your views on Limerick as you lack objectivity when it comes to Limerick. You severely dislike them and want and hope for them to fail. Your criticisms mean nothing if you in turn refuse to also give credit where it's due, there is a lack of balance in your views.

Limerick are a good team, still a little short of All-Ireland champion standard, but a good team nonetheless. And anyone who can't bring themselves to acknowledge that much lacks credibility.

Advertisement