Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new kitten

• 20-07-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi

It seems we have literally become parents to a new kitten. When we were walking down our road, a tiny, tiny kitten ran after us, between our legs and when the front door opened, she ran in.

Problem is, we already have a cat and a dog. The dog is not a worry, its the cat. How do I introduce them in the hope they get on?

I have put an ad on our local area facebook page in the hope somebody is missing her. Ill put an ad in the local shop tomorrow. If not,im sure she will be an unexpected welcome to our animal family.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Monday morning so to lazy to type :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, I also had a cat in residence (and 2 dogs but there was no prob with them), the kitten was soooooo bloody cuuuute and friendly that even my cat hissing and growling at him didn't phase him and after a couple of days resident cat was absolutely fine with him, I didn't leave them alone think that was the key.

I did eventually rehomed him to a lovely lady with 3 kids (with the help of the local spca) which was exactly what he needed, kids to play with, beds to lie on etc, not me & the husband, two boring old farts that didn't want cat hairs on our bed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We've introduced 3 cats, 1 of which was a foster kitten, to our cat. With the female and the kitten the introductions worked best when done slowly and after having kept them confined to a seperate room, only allowing them to see each other through the door after a week and letting the newbie sniff around the house when the others were elsewhere.

With the adult cat, we didn't confine him as he was coming and going as a stray and things between our eldest cat and him aren't as good as with thee others. I'd definitely say to do the slow introductions and keep the kitten seperate for a while to allow your own cat and dog to get used to it's scent. The dog and cat will probably be fine with the kitten, but kittens generally seem to have no sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Perfect thread for me! Just adopted a 2 year old black cat yesterday. She's currently in the spare bedroom. Our other cat Pepper doesn't seem too fussed she's sniffing at the door a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Good news folks.

The kitten has been reunited with her family, who were delighted.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement