Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ordered clothes from Carters?

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I was sorely tempted when I was pregnant with my little boy. They're stuff is FAB and so reasonably priced and the quality is great too (american girl in the bed next to me in the maternity let me have a look at some of hers :o ) The postage is fairly steep though and increases with every extra item you add. Now that baby no 2 is on the way, I'm tempted again. I reckon if I just place a huge bulk order for both children then it'll justify the postage costs and I'll have enough clothes to last ages..... Or so I'm trying to convince myself :D Have any of ye ordered stuff from them and do ye reckon it's worth it Also, would the clothes be subject to customs charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was sorely tempted when I was pregnant with my little boy. They're stuff is FAB and so reasonably priced and the quality is great too (american girl in the bed next to me in the maternity let me have a look at some of hers :o ) The postage is fairly steep though and increases with every extra item you add. Now that baby no 2 is on the way, I'm tempted again. I reckon if I just place a huge bulk order for both children then it'll justify the postage costs and I'll have enough clothes to last ages..... Or so I'm trying to convince myself :D Have any of ye ordered stuff from them and do ye reckon it's worth it Also, would the clothes be subject to customs charges?

Why don't you save yourself the hassle and just go to tk maxx? My baby got a good few carter outfits as pressies when he was born and they were all bought in tk maxx.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We bought a load of Carters while on hols in Florida. Not worth the hassle imho. M&S stuff is alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have a lot of Carters clothes for my kids and i don't think they're significantly better quality than Dunnes/M&S/Next... But i do prefer the fit of some of the American stuff. Especially the "onsies" ie. vests to you & me, the Gerber brand. They are long, narrow and stretchy, they hold there shape really really well. I've got vests here from Dunnes, Tesco, M&S, Next, Penneys and they all fall off the shoulders and are pulled half way down the childs' chest cos they're not long enough and are too wide. The "onsies" fit perfect.

And i like the baby-gro/sleep suits from Carters or The Children's Place, again it's the fit, they are long, narrow and a bit stretchy, they fit my 2 kids so much more snuggly than our baby-gros, especially for Winter time, they are snug in them. But i have long babies so i think that's half the problem.

I would try TK Maxx though, kids go through clothes so fast and all babies are different in how they grow, it's hard to predict what you'll need. I have 2 boys but they are chalk & cheese, things my oldest barely got 2wks out of, my 2nd has gotten 9mths out of. My 2nd is in clothes at 21mths that first had grown out of by 12mths etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks guys would you believe it never even occurred to me to go to TK MAXX for baby clothes :rolleyes: Having said that, my local shop is like hell on earth between getting shoved and elbowed out of the way and then spending 20 minutes in a queue while the 5 zombie checkout staff serve the 3 people in front of you..... Still less hassle and cheaper than trying to order online though I suppose :)

Thanks guys would you believe it never even occurred to me to go to TK MAXX for baby clothes :rolleyes: Having said that, my local shop is like hell on earth between getting shoved and elbowed out of the way and then spending 20 minutes in a queue while the 5 zombie checkout staff serve the 3 people in front of you..... Still less hassle and cheaper than trying to order online though I suppose :)

Just to mention about sizing.........eg if it is labelled 18months it is 12-18months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Millem wrote: »
    Just to mention about sizing.........eg if it is labelled 18months it is 12-18months!

Oh jeepers I have a few babygros upstairs I must check out the sizing!

I would agree with the above - relatives sent us some carters clothes and while they're really cute they don't wash particularly well - I would think m&s and mothercare would be better quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Im american and I love carters stuff- I think the wash and wear is as good as tesco stuff but the designs are just so cute and good value moneywise. I bought a load when I was over and I would even look on amazon.co.uk for carters as well as I think you can get it there too. About the sizing, like millem said if its says 12 or 18 it means UP TO that size. I made that mistake with some gorgeous pajamas and he only got one or two wears out of them then :(

Rachineire wrote: »
    Im american and I love carters stuff- I think the wash and wear is as good as tesco stuff but the designs are just so cute and good value moneywise I bought a load when I was over and I would even look on amazon.co.uk for carters as well as I think you can get it there too. About the sizing, like millem said if its says 12 or 18 it means UP TO that size. I made that mistake with some gorgeous pajamas and he only got one or two wears out of them then :(

This is why I'm so tempted! I know the quality would be similar to m&s, next etc but carters are more reasonably priced and IMO there's a much better selection of cute designs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

My Dad brought me back lots of Carter clothes from holiday in America. I loved the designs, very different and it was that good quality, thick fabric. Not the flimsy fabric you find with some clothes here. They're definitely some of the cutest clothes I've seen for babies. I'd second about the other poster said about the sizing. I put my babies clothes away according to size here 6-9 months etc. The Carter clothes had size 9 months on it but she fitted into them at about 6 months and she is a very small baby.

My Dad brought me back lots of Carter clothes from holiday in America. I loved the designs, very different and it was that good quality, thick fabric. Not the flimsy fabric you find with some clothes here. They're definitely some of the cutest clothes I've seen for babies. I'd second about the other poster said about the sizing. I put my babies clothes away according to size here 6-9 months etc. The Carter clothes had size 9 months on it but she fitted into them at about 6 months and she is a very small baby.

I find their sizes tiny too but I thought it was just because he was a big baby! He is 6 months and growing out of carters 18 months (12-18 months !) his other clothes are all 9-12 months but vests are 12-18 months. Tbh they are nice but I just don't think you can bear next for 0-18months old and they are more generous on sizing than carters. OP if you want baby clothes that no one will have here you should check out George at asda. They deliver for £5 and are generous fittings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Had never heard of Carters but when dressing my fella this morning I noticed that a lot of the stuff i picked up in TK Maxx for him is Carters and it's really lovely, washes well and a nice fit - he's already a size up in all his clothes and these were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We got some as a gift but I agree the sizes are tiny!
    I recently bought some clothes for my children from Boden. It was sale/clearance stuff and the quality is brilliant. Really sturdy fabric and I bought sizes for the age they'll be in six months/a year. For the price it is good value.

I find Marks and Spencers by far and away the best value. I buy mainly full price because I never seem to hit the sale but for example my daughter has four or five dresses that have fitted her since December and is only now growing out of, and they'll be good enough to pass onto someone else. The boys tops and babygros are the same, still perfect.

lazygal wrote: »
    I find Marks and Spencers by far and away the best value. I buy mainly full price because I never seem to hit the sale but for example my daughter has four or five dresses that have fitted her since December and is only now growing out of, and they'll be good enough to pass onto someone else. The boys tops and babygros are the same, still perfect.

I agree about m&s, had a delivery of sleepsuits from them this morning and the quality is superb :) I've never been lucky enough to see anything I really like in the Boden sale. Their stuff is lovely but at full price it's extortionate :o

I agree about m&s, had a delivery of sleepsuits from them this morning and the quality is superb :) I've never been lucky enough to see anything I really like in the Boden sale. Their stuff is lovely but at full price it's extortionate :o

I never heard of Boden! I love m and s too :) all his babygrows are from there as they fit sooooo well. He is still wearing some 6-9 months there too :) Their sales are amazing . They regularly do 20% off (like the other day) and you can use coupons online too! I think they are worth full price though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Carter stuff we have does not come close to the M&S quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

As far as I know Carters delivery charge is a standard €15 if you spend over €75, they used to have a banner on the top of the page saying that it was a limited time offer, but I'm nearly sure it's still available.
    As you add your items the delivery charge goes up, but once you hit €75 it stays at €15.

Must've been a limited offer cos I filled a basket out of curiosity to see how much shipping would cost and with every added item, the shipping total increases. An order of 10 items costing €140 would be just under €21 to ship. Any order over €150 also incurs taxes on top of shipping (an order of €154 was giving a tax cost of €20).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

I think Carters just seems super cute when you can't get it. I'm in Canada so easy access to carters, they have had the same patterns on their baby clothes the past 2 years, they never seem to change. The clothes and patterns I bought when my daughter was a newborn 2 years ago, are still the same patterns available now in the newborn section.

We get stuff from M and S and Next posted over to us, and we find they wash a lot better than the carters stuff. Carters stuff is a great fit if you have a long and skinny baby. Carters make clothes under a few names:
    Carter's®
    OshKosh B'gosh®
    Child of Mine®
    Just One You®
    Genuine Kids®
    Precious Firsts®

Tk maxx generally has a lot of the child of mine ones.

They do free international shipping every now and again so keep an eye on it, but if it gets stopped you will have to pay customs aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Are baby clothes not exempt from VAT charges??

SarB89 wrote: »
    Are baby clothes not exempt from VAT charges??

Customs and VAT are 2 separate taxes. But yes baby clothes are VAT exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

Yes lots of times. Usually spend just over the €100 and pay about 15 quid shipping & customs. Vests are great quality & last. They are long & narrow so better suited to skinnier babies & toddlers. My son is very slight so find them way better than dunnes etc and never lose shape, in fact he's still wearing the same ones a yr later & they're perfect. I'll be keeping them for no 2! Love their tight pjs & again he's got 2 winters out of them. Got hoodies they were fine but not amazing & you can mix & match on OSH kosh too & got lovely tracksuit bottoms there. Keep an eye out for sales & special offers. Often get long sleeve tops which are grand quality but only worth it if reduced. Usually get 5 pack of vests for about €14 & pjs are often on offer.

Advertisement