Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrogen peroxide

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Has it been removed from all pharmacies? I went in to pick some up today to put on my son's cut and was told it's no longer available as folks were using it to bleach their teeth with it. First of all what do they care what the product is used for. Surely it's up to the individual using it to decide whether they want to mess up their teeth or not. Same as buying cigarettes. If they know it's not good to take it orally and are aware of consequences, then that's that's their prerogative to use it whatever way they want. It really was my goto for a lot of things.. Disinfectant... Tomato and wine stain remover.. Even curing my poor dogs foot of fungus when everything else failed incl antibiotics. Do the dentists really have that much pull in this country as to remove a product that could impact on their profits?

Mods feel free to move to correct forum if not in appropriate one.

Thanks,

GG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

It's an EU wide law that came into force a few years back. Hydrogen peroxide with a concentration higher than 0.1% can only be administered by a dentist, or under their supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

It was a European directive rather than an Irish law, so nothing to do with the pull Irish dentists do or don't have.

Also, a pharmacist can't sell you something and just let you take your chances if there's a risk you could hurt yourself, as is very possible with hydrogen peroxide. There's a reason it's so good at removing stains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They won't let you buy 2 packs of paracetamol as people where ODing on it as they though it was safe since it was available without prescription or other checks, yet you can buy one pack of 24 paracetamol but not 2 12 packs!!

Unfortunately the vast majority of people think that if you can buy it in a supermarket or chemist without prescription it's harmless when most products are actually very dangerous. So in order to protect them from harm they have to remove it or make it harder to access.

BTW it's not dentists who pull things but the Irish medical board and health inspectors. And yes we do need to protect people from themselves as a paracetamol OD or swallowing a load of hydrogen peroxide are both not nice things to happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And a good thing, too.

Do you really want products that might be harmful on unrestricted sale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

And a good thing, too.

Where will that end up though ?

Y8zOXhD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Usual nanny state at work.

Completely agree!
    Also, a pharmacist can't sell you something and just let you take your chances if there's a risk you could hurt yourself
    BTW it's not dentists who pull things but the Irish medical board and health inspectors. And yes we do need to protect people from themselves as a paracetamol OD or swallowing a load of hydrogen peroxide are both not nice things to happen to anyone.

The pharmacist could point out the risks of non-intended use in detail before allowing the sale .. shouldn't that solve the problem ?

Unfortunately not as the country protects those who refuse to read, listen and have a lack of common sense too well. Wont be long before pub owners are being sued left right and center for getting people drunk (as already has happened in the USA).

You can do alot of damage to yourself far easier with a million other "harmful" products that are unristricted, lets see ...
    • Knives
    • Razors
    • Bleach
    • Drain Cleaner
    • Hair dye
    • Alcohol
    • Cars
    • Rope

Honestly I feel sometimes that stupidity should be rewarded sometimes by the hospital treatment or death that follows. Why should millions of people have to run around in circles due to the one or two people who don't have any cop-on.

That might sound harsh, but genuinely how I feel a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

People want light touch regulation until something goes wrong. Then they cry "how was this allowed to happen?" Then the lawyers get involved.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/us-jury-awards-smokers-widow-236bn-30445037.html

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

was.deevey wrote: »
    Completely agree!

The pharmacist could point out the risks of non-intended use in detail before allowing the sale .. shouldn't that solve the problem ?

Unfortunately not as the country protects those who refuse to read, listen and have a lack of common sense too well. Wont be long before pub owners are being sued left right and center for getting people drunk (as already has happened in the USA).

You can do alot of damage to yourself far easier with a million other "harmful" products that are unristricted, lets see ...
    • Knives
    • Razors
    • Bleach
    • Drain Cleaner
    • Hair dye
    • Alcohol
    • Cars
    • Rope

Honestly I feel sometimes that stupidity should be rewarded sometimes by the hospital treatment or death that follows. Why should millions of people have to run around in circles due to the one or two people who don't have any cop-on.

That might sound harsh, but genuinely how I feel a lot of the time.

In complete agreement here with you. There are a lot of extremely dangerous items readily available to the masses Why is something like H202 singled out when it actually does more good than a lot of junk out there puporting to be miracle items. My husbands grandfather initially introduced it to me and showed me the multitude of uses for it. He had been using it for over thirty years and never had any issues with it whatsoever. I believe he used it as a gargle also and the man never needed to visit the dentist ever. It is readily available in Target and Walmart in the US for pennies. Nanny state for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just go to another pharmacy, I got it a while ago no bother, 6%.

As you are using it for cleaning etc you could get the 35% stuff which is much cheaper but not food/pharmacy grade. I wanted 35% myself but was unable to get it in a chemist. It is used in hydroponic plant growing so some shops with grow lights will have it, probably not in your local garden centre though, more dodgy cannabis growing places. Hair dressing suppliers might have it too, I think 35% is used for bleaching hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

rubadub wrote: »
    Just go to another pharmacy, I got it a while ago no bother, 6%.

As you are using it for cleaning etc you could get the 35% stuff which is much cheaper but not food/pharmacy grade. I wanted 35% myself but was unable to get it in a chemist. It is used in hydroponic plant growing so some shops with grow lights will have it, probably not in your local garden centre though, more dodgy cannabis growing places. Hair dressing suppliers might have it too, I think 35% is used for bleaching hair.

Hairdressers use 30 or 40 vol but this is very very strong and would not be put on the scalp or skin as it would burn, so it wouldn't be suitable for the OP's purposes e.g. first aid etc.

Magenta wrote: »
    Hairdressers use 30 or 40 vol but this is very very strong and would not be put on the scalp or skin as it would burn, so it wouldn't be suitable for the OP's purposes e.g. first aid etc.

You just dilute it as needed, thats what I intended on doing. Just like you would with bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

30 vol = 9% and will not burn a scalp
    40 vol = 12% and can burn

30vol will make you ill, 40 vol can cause serious issues if ingested, but WTF would you drink bleach in the first place ?

Why dont the authorities not just sort out the labeling on things like Peroxide so it clearly states either the %.

I reckon more problems are probably caused due to this confusion e.g. person reads on the internet 20 vol peroxide is great for whiting teeth and orders a bottle of 20% thinking its the same thing due to the label.
    People want light touch regulation until something goes wrong. Then they cry "how was this allowed to happen?" Then the lawyers get involved.

Well stupid people must be rewarded for finding out things that the rest of the world already knows right ? - like packets of peanuts contain nuts etc.. :rolleyes:

Give it a year or two and you'll be seeing this kind of US state law.
    A dram shop case is a lawsuit against a bar, tavern, restaurant, or other establishment that sells alcoholic drinks, brought after one of the establishment's patrons got drunk and got into an accident.

If you get hit by a drunk driver and can prove that the driver got drunk in a bar, you may have a dram shop case against that bar, depending on the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Never underestimate the capacity of people to f*ck things up. Genuinely, I cannot state this enough. For every 1 person out there who can handle H2O2 safely, there are easily 1,000 people who can't. The law must protect the majority.

While I do think there are laws bordering on nanny state, there also has to be acceptance from people who feel "expert" that other people may need the protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ceciart

Hello, new here..
    I am looking for liquid Hydrogen peroxide for bleaching bones (have some old animal bones I found and like to make them whiter) if anybody has any ideas where I could find it in Dublin please?
    I tried a lot of hardwear shops, hair shops (they sell it but only in cream form), and many chemists but to no avail. I will need to dilute it with water so creams are no good for what I need.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ceciart wrote:
    Hello, new here.. I am looking for liquid Hydrogen peroxide for bleaching bones (have some old animal bones I found and like to make them whiter) if anybody has any ideas where I could find it in Dublin please? I tried a lot of hardwear shops, hair shops (they sell it but only in cream form), and many chemists but to no avail. I will need to dilute it with water so creams are no good for what I need. Thank you!

You can add water to cream peroxide to dilute it down. Put it in a bowl and mix using a tinting brush from a Hairdressing suppliers

Thank you! have you experimented that yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ceciart wrote: »
    Thank you! have you experimented that yourself?
    I used to own a few hair salons

I mentioned hydroponic grow shops, I expect they would be far cheaper than diluting down hairdressing cream.

• Advertisement

so just to follow up, I found hydrogen peroxide in some chemists but if you need more than a Lt you are better off contacting Lennox chemicals.
    Thank you everyone for the help.

Advertisement