Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amendment Q's

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just wondering I'm wanting to rebarrel my 220 swift to 243 and while it's being done get a match barrel aswell

So do apply for the amendment first and then get the work done or go to the gunsmith first then apply

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Get the license first.

If you are refused then you are not out the money for the re-barrel, plus when it's done the dealer cannot legally hand you out your "new rifle" unless you're licensed for it.

Fill out an FCA1, use the sub option, stick in the details of the rifle as they are, in the new section the rifle as it will be (caliber wise), then attach a letter of explanation that you are keeping the action/stock, but wish to re-barrel to a different caliber hence the serial number remaining the same.

You will have to "babysit" them through the process as not a lot of FO's are experienced in dealing with anything that is not straight forward.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

Cheers Cass

Just from what I've been told about the availability of swift ammo I think it's time to change to something with similar performance but with a much greater availability of ammo

Cheers Cass

Just from what I've been told about the availability of swift ammo I think it's time to change to something with similar performance but with a much greater availability of ammo

Just filling out the amendment form now and wat do I put down for exact type under the firearm details?

In the "Current rifle" section you put down your current rifles details. Bolt action, .220 caliber, etc. In the "New gun" section you also put down the current rifle details, but change the caliber to .243.

This is why an additional sheet of information is needed. You need to explain that you are re-barreling the rifle to another caliber, and the action/serial number and the rifle's design will remain the same.

A question i meant to ask above. Are you keeping the .220 swift barrel too? If so a sub won't work as you'll have no license for the .220 swift. If you want to keep the barrel then you must make a new application. That or go through with the sub, and store the .220 barrel in a dealers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cheers again Cass nah don't think it's worth while hanging onto the barrel although it is in excellent shape but might be a bit more hassle

just got off the phone with the firearms officer and i swear to god it just gets worse i have been told over the phone that the amendment form i filled out is not for the public and is only for garda use,

and also that the amendment form will only allow you to change barrels of the same caliber so .22 to .22 (so im guessing we can change from 223 to 22-250 was basically they way it was put to me) i said i wouldnt need to apply if i was changing a barrel as its the same 220 swift with a new barrel a gunsmith would just do the work, so i asked what about other people who have changed to different calibers (220 swift to 243 and so on) using the amendment form have they done it illegally to which i was told yes

and was told that i need to apply for a new license so i said ok what caliber do i put down as im not changing the gun he said 243 (so im lying) so i asked ok so your gonna license a 220 siwft as a 243 so what happens if get stopped with it as i cannot have the work done by a gunsmith until i have a license for 243

honestly i just dont know anymore it just seems everything with this local station is a nightmare for me, my brother got a 223 with mod approved in 1 week it takes me 4 months to get a 220 swift licensed and a further year to get a mod approved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Will you not have trouble with bolt heads going to 243 from a 22 swift?

Jonty wrote: »
    Will you not have trouble with bolt heads going to 243 from a 22 swift?

nah there the same bolt head checked it a couple times to make sure

You used the FCA1?

• Advertisement

used the fca2 form as it says for amendments/cancellation on the licensing section on here

didnt seem to be a problem when i sent it in as they wanted additional information on who was rebarreling it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

can you not do it as a sub on the fca1. they don't have a clue anyway:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I would ring the fpu by the way you can contact them on 01-6661911

used the fca2 form as it says for amendments/cancellation on the licensing section on here
    Yer both wrong, i'm afraid.

You should have used the FCA1 as i outlined above. The FCA2 is to amend mistakes or errors on a license not to change guns. He is wrong in that the forms (either FCA! or FCA2) are official Garda ONLY forms.
    didnt seem to be a problem when i sent it in as they wanted additional information on who was rebarreling it
    It shouldn't be a problem, but use the FCA1 and follow the instructions in post #2.

Cass wrote: »
    Yer both wrong, i'm afraid.

You should have used the FCA1 as i outlined above. The FCA2 is to amend mistakes or errors on a license not to change guns. He is wrong in that the forms (either FCA! or FCA2) are official Garda ONLY forms.

It shouldn't be a problem, but use the FCA1 and follow the instructions in post #2.

cheers cass just seen amendment form and taught that had to be it

No lad.

The FCA2 is used to amend (as in correct) any errors in name, address, serial number, etc. or to cancel a license if it's not needed anymore.

Here is the full way to do a substitution:

Use an FCA1 form.
    • Section 1 - Tick substitution, and "I have not held a cert............".
    • Section 2 - All of it.
    • Section 2.4 - All of it.
    • Section 3.1 - Input the details of new gun here.
    • Section 3.3 - Input dealers details.
    • Section 3.4 - Input your current firearm details here.
    • Section 3.5 - All of it.
    • Section 4.1 - All of it.
    • Section 4.2 - All of it.
    • Section 4.3 - If a member of a club/range.
    • Section 5.1 - Tick box.
    • Sign and date it.

It's also an idea to put in referees/photo, etc. Even though some details are not needed i've noticed a trend of Supers refusing applications for not having all the details even though they are not required for a sub. However ask yourself which is easier:
    1. Fight your point and refuse to give the details and end up waiting.
    2. Just give it to them and get the application done.

Cass wrote: »
    No lad.

The FCA2 is used to amend (as in correct) any errors in name, address, serial number, etc. or to cancel a license if it's not needed anymore.

Here is the full way to do a substitution:

Use an FCA1 form.
    • Section 1 - Tick substitution, and "I have not held a cert............".
    • Section 2 - All of it.
    • Section 2.4 - All of it.
    • Section 3.1 - Input the details of new gun here.
    • Section 3.3 - Input dealers details.
    • Section 3.4 - Input your current firearm details here.
    • Section 3.5 - All of it.
    • Section 4.1 - All of it.
    • Section 4.2 - All of it.
    • Section 4.3 - If a member of a club/range.
    • Section 5.1 - Tick box.
    • Sign and date it.

It's also an idea to put in referees/photo, etc. Even though some details are not needed i've noticed a trend of Supers refusing applications for not having all the details even though they are not required for a sub. However ask yourself which is easier:
    1. Fight your point and refuse to give the details and end up waiting.
    2. Just give it to them and get the application done.

grand ill get on it so

just the way the phone called panned out it put me in an awful mood phone call was a private number said hello and there was just a sheer reluctance to engage in talking and then i had to basically inform him why he was calling me and then i just got an abrupt no with no reason or explaining what was wrong and when i questioned him about anything there was just silence and no willing to answer my questions and then to completely go off topic asking where i got the form and so on

end of rant:o

Rant away lad. You made a mistake, but he seems to have jumped on it.

He is way off on the use of the FCA1 and FCA2 forms though. However use the FCA1, and just get on with it. Put his attitude behind ya until you get sorted.

Advertisement