Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montreal?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'll be spending a few days in Montreal in late September/early October. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

feargale wrote: »
    Hi, I'll be spending a few days in Montreal in late September/early October. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks,

If you can't already do so, learn to speak French.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I thought this place was very cool

http://www.exporail.org/en/welcome-to-exporail/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The Biosphere is good, though I see it might be closed.

Parc Jean Drapeau is worth going to as well - you can cycle/drive/walk the F1 track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Long Gone wrote: »
    If you can't already do so, learn to speak French.

I would have thought that Quebec's language issues wouldn't impinge on an outsider, just as a Polish or Swiss Catholic had little to fear in the bad old days in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I would have thought that Quebec's language issues wouldn't impinge on an outsider, just as a Polish or Swiss Catholic had little to fear in the bad old days in Northern Ireland.

hmmm....depends on where you go I guess, most places will be okay but there are plenty of people in Quebec who will flat out refuse to speak Hanglish, you speak to them in Hanglish and they will reply in Quebeqois and **** you if you don't understand it. Sadly this isn't even limited to the older generations either.

OP, depending on how much time you have there could be worth taking a day trip to the Laurentians (Les Laurentides) it's about an hour ish drive, lovely area with nothing but hills and lakes (if you're the outdoors type that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Take a walk up mount royal, lovely views of the city and its a fairly easy walk from downtown. The Oratory is very impressive, and has amazing views. Eat some poutine - La Banquise is probably the most famous. Jean-Talon market on a fri or saturday evening is very nice and in the Italian area of the city so there is some great Italian food around. Visit the Old Port, really beautiful part of the city and has some history and culture to it unlike other cities in Canada. Quebec city is also really pretty if you have time to go there, Le Chic Shack is a really good food place in Quebec City.

You will need zero french if your are going to be doing tourist things in and near the downtown area, anyone who tells you any different clearly doesn't live here.

ician wrote: »
    Take a walk up mount royal, lovely views of the city and its a fairly easy walk from downtown. The Oratory is very impressive, and has amazing views. Eat some poutine - La Banquise is probably the most famous. Jean-Talon market on a fri or saturday evening is very nice and in the Italian area of the city so there is some great Italian food around. Visit the Old Port, really beautiful part of the city and has some history and culture to it unlike other cities in Canada. Quebec city is also really pretty if you have time to go there, Le Chic Shack is a really good food place in Quebec City.

You will need zero french if your are going to be doing tourist things in and near the downtown area, anyone who tells you any different clearly doesn't live here.

Thanks. Yes, I intend to visit Quebec City. Years ago I read in Canadian Geographic, I think, the only copy of it that I ever bought, a story about a restaurant in Quebec City owned and managed by an Irish lady and her ( Italian? ) husband. I thought that if I ever went to Quebec City I would go there. Maybe it desn't exist anymore,

Believe me you would have thought wrong...... :) If you go thinking that you will soon have a very rude awakening ! Quebec must have among the highest per capita number of language fascists anywhere in the world ! .:(

What you are actually saying is that you will need zero French is you are having no interaction whatsoever with French speaking locals - I would have though that was self evident.... Remember that French is the only official language in Quebec - That has been the situation for over 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Quebec is nothing like Long Gone tries to portray it as on here. I have lived here for 4 years with limited French and I live and work in French areas. I would actually have a hard time thinking of another Anglo I know here. People have been more than happy to accommodate me whenever possible, and always switch to english when my awful french fails. Long Gone is just repeating a misconception about Quebec, and something that people who don't live in Quebec but have a strong anti-Quebec bias seem to like to repeat on internet forums.

You won't have any problems, to work in McDonalds here you need to be bilingual and you will be greeted with "Bonjour/hi" everywhere you go. Stop focusing on what a few political leaders have tried and failed to do here and realise real people here have no time for that nonsense.

I GUARANTEE Long Gone doesn't live in Quebec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Quebec is nothing like Long Gone tries to portray it as on here. I have lived here for 4 years with limited French and I live and work in French areas. I would actually have a hard time thinking of another Anglo I know here. People have been more than happy to accommodate me whenever possible, and always switch to english when my awful french fails. Long Gone is just repeating a misconception about Quebec, and something that people who don't live in Quebec but have a strong anti-Quebec bias seem to like to repeat on internet forums.

You won't have any problems, to work in McDonalds here you need to be bilingual and you will be greeted with "Bonjour/hi" everywhere you go. Stop focusing on what a few political leaders have tried and failed to do here and realise real people here have no time for that nonsense.

Yeah, Long Gone is a bit of a know it all. He talks an awful lot of rubbish in the Canadian forums.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Yeah, Long Gone is a bit of a know it all. He talks an awful lot of rubbish in the Canadian forums.

Firstly I have NEVER said that I live in Quebec - I live in Edmonton, but I have spent plenty of time working in Quebec.

What I have posted regarding the attitude of native French speakers in Quebec to communicating with people in English is not rubbish - In fact it's public knowledge in Canada that many of them resent having to do so - Fact.
    He talks an awful lot of rubbish in the Canadian forums.

Well that's a bit rich coming from you ! - You might try to debate the point in question instead of just constantly being abusive. This is meant to be a Discussion forum.

Oh well done Sherlock ! - I have NEVER said that I live in Quebec. I have however spent plenty of time working there.

What is your point exactly ? - You say yourself that even to work in McDonalds you need to be bilingual !:rolleyes:

I've been to Montreal a few times and found the people very friendly. Unless I didn't pick up on it, but I didn't perceive them in anyway to be put off by the fact that I spoke English to them...

I've been to Montreal a few times and found the people very friendly. Unless I didn't pick up on it, but I didn't perceive them in anyway to be put off by the fact that I spoke English to them...

Day trips ? If people know that you're a short term visitor from outside the region they'll tolerate it, but beyond that the Francophones tend to resent use of English. There is no point in pretending that language is not a major issue in Quebec.

http://nodogsoranglophones.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/quebecs-biggest-language-issueclimate.html

I was there twice, for a week on each occasion. Never had a problem.
    OP, you will be fine. He's exaggerating.
    Enjoy your trip.

I was there twice, for a week on each occasion. Never had a problem.
    OP, you will be fine. He's exaggerating.
    Enjoy your trip.

Where exactly am I exaggerating ? - I clearly stated that as a short term visitor you are unlikely to encounter the resentment of use of English that longer term residents will encounter.

But of course you've visited twice, for a whole week each time........:rolleyes:

Where exactly am I exaggerating ? - I clearly stated that as a short term visitor you are unlikely to encounter the resentment of use of English that longer term residents will encounter.

But of course you've visited twice, for a whole week each time........:rolleyes:

Did you hit your head or something.. What you said is :

"What I have posted regarding the attitude of native French speakers in Quebec to communicating with people in English is not rubbish - In fact it's public knowledge in Canada that many of them resent having to do so - Fact."

Fact according to who? You? Ah ok then

Ok folks, I get it. If I meet any of Long Gone's acquaintances in Quebec I'm to put up in French or shut up. If I meet the people the rest of you know I can relax.
    Actually I have a bit of French, so has my OH, so I reckon we'll survive. I hesitate to prolong this controversy by enquiring about differences between Quebecois and Francais parisien.
    Can we move on to other things, e.g. personal security, must-sees etc.?

Fact according to who? You? Ah ok then

Oh of course ! How silly of me to even suggest that there was any language issue whatsoever in Quebec. It's all just in people's minds - It's just nonsense that Francophone residents of Quebec are very defensive about their French language. They're actually totally chilled out and cool about the use of English.... Yeah, course they are .... You can live there long term and integrate completely and be completely accepted without ever needing to know or use a single word of French - People will be totally cool with that. In fact nowadays the Francophone natives are practically PROMOTING the use of English, signage in English, children's education in English etc wherever possible....:rolleyes:

http://nodogsoranglophones.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/quebecs-biggest-language-issueclimate.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Oh of course ! How silly of me to even suggest that there was any language issue whatsoever in Quebec. It's all just in people's minds - It's just nonsense that Francophone residents of Quebec are very defensive about their French language. They're actually totally chilled out and cool about the use of English.... Yeah, course they are .... You can live there long term and integrate completely and be completely accepted without ever needing to know or use a single word of French - People will be totally cool with that. In fact nowadays the Francophone natives are practically PROMOTING the use of English, signage in English, children's education in English etc wherever possible....:rolleyes:

This guy could start an argument in an empty room.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

This guy could start an argument in an empty room.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black ! Yet another completely lazy, pointless post from you which adds precisely nothing to the thread - You just mindlessly personally attack the poster yet again, with absolutely no basis whatsoever for doing so....

This is a discussion forum. You could try actually discussing topics sometimes. When you grow up you might even realise that adults can discuss and debate topics on which they may hold different views without constantly resorting to personal attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I was only there a few days and found loads of people very resentful to speak english. Very rude city in general.

Thanks. I've got the message about the language. You're all going around in circles at this stage. Could we move on to other things. If I wanted to start a thread about Quebec's language politics I would have gone to the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Late September/early October is fall, so you could check out Jean Talon market and see some of the biggest pumpkins you'll ever see.

Skip Schwartz's for smoked meat, and go to Main Deli Steak House across the street. Every local recommends Main Deli over Schwartz's.

If you speak French, here's a website that tells you about what's going on today in any given neighbourhood: http://www.quoifaireaujourdhui.com/events/

And to reiterate, nobody gives a damn if you don't speak French. It's an untrue and paranoid stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

adamski8 wrote: »
    I was only there a few days and found loads of people very resentful to speak english. Very rude city in general.

I had a friend from Montreal who I met in Ireland. When I was living in Toronto I visited Montreal twice and was hanging around with French Canadians the whole time I was up there. They are really nice people. Even when I was alone and had to ask directions or something I found them very polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I had a friend from Montreal who I met in Ireland. When I was living in Toronto I visited Montreal twice and was hanging around with French Canadians the whole time I was up there. They are really nice people. Even when I was alone and had to ask directions or something I found them very polite.
    I do too, im planning on visiting him hopefully next year too. Im only stating my experience but ive heard a good few other people say the same thing, ive also heard a few others saying they didnt encounter any rudeness. Its something that always comes up in discussions about the region though so people aren't making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

adamski8 wrote: »
    I do too, im planning on visiting him hopefully next year too. Im only stating my experience but ive heard a good few other people say the same thing, ive also heard a few others saying they didnt encounter any rudeness. Its something that always comes up in discussions about the region though so people aren't making it up.

Quebec is 22 times the size of Ireland, and a lot of the villages are small and isolated. A lot of tourism places outside of the urban centers get very little business from the rest of Canada or from abroad, so they have little incentive to learn English to a high level. You wouldn't go to Spain, and then get annoyed that they don't speak English, so why you expect Quebecers to is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you spoke back to them in French, and still found them rude, then that's a different story. It's like a French person going to Dingle and giving out that nobody spoke French and they were rude.

• Advertisement

alexjk wrote: »
    Quebec is 22 times the size of Ireland.

Not in terms of population (which is what counts) it isn't.......

Advertisement