Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montreal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Actually, that makes the point better. 8 million people spread out in that massive area. Takes my friend 15 hours to get from Montreal to his home village. That should give you an idea of how isolated Quebec villages are. Are they supposed to learn perfect English on the off chance someone might wander into town?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Doesn't Montreal have anything to see other than a language?

Montréal has the 2nd highest amount of restaurants in North America (after NYC), so you're spoiled for choice there.

My favourite cheap eat is Arepera du Plateau on the corner of de Bullion and Duluth - http://www.arepera.ca/

Everything I've eaten there has been amazing, and I've been full every time.

Parc Mont-Royal is the park with the mountain. There is a great view of downtown Montréal from the Belvedere.

Old Port is nice, but very touristy. But take a look around anyway.

Check out the Montréal subreddit for more tips: http://www.reddit.com/r/montreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

My impression is that Montreal is a mix of North American and European culture? As in, it's a modern American style city, with American style cars, but with a French cultural twist.

I've heard a band called Malajube, from Montreal. They sound like an American indie band, but sing in French, which is kind of what I imagine Montreal to be like.... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you can speak some French, have a look at Malajube interview on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sAF3Or8AqQ

Kind of reminds me of an Anglophone speaking French in place. I believe they use different words that would be considered "old" French.

Here is a video talking about the differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw5Re7k1KBA

Spoken French is very different here, in comparison to French from France. Quebecers easily understand French people, but not as easily the other way around.

It's a big mixture of 17th and 18th century French languages, then mixed with native words. It also has a massive English influence, due to the amount of English speakers who ended up francophone, so some English construction, and tons of English loan words.

What's personal security like in Quebec? Pickpockets?

Left my balcony door open for 3 days last year by accident and had no issue. That said, be wary in downtown cafés with bags under chairs and tables, especially near McGill and Concordia universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

Montreal is very safe. I've lived here for 2 years without incident.

The city is pretty much bilingual so you will have no issues there and everyone is friendly.
    Language is only an issue once you leave Montreal. People are still great but less likely to speak English.

There are tons of great restaurants. Go to the site mtlblog for lists of restaurants and tourist things to do.

If you like a drink then i recommend "Le sainte elisabeth" which has a great atmosphere. Also go to the benelux in Verdun rather than sherbrooke. Much better bar and great selection of beers. There are loads of great bars in Montreal to go to with up to 40 micro brewery beers on tap.

• Advertisement

Anybody know Quebec City or Ottawa? I'm thinking of a day trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Off there myself in a few weeks, been to Montreal once before when I lived in Toronto and had no problem, up there with Berlin as one of the best cities Ive ever visited.

Old Montreal there is a little bit more of a language barrier, but you can still get by fine and just BE F**KING COURTEOUS! They live and work in Old Montreal for a reason, as they prefer a 100% french speaking environment.

To the poster before me, don't bother with Ottawa unless you have to... really not that much to entertain, not the prettiest place, and It's kinda boring.

I've never been to Quebec City, may go there after Montreal before I go back to Toronto.

Been there, done that. I really liked Montreal. I did the day trip by train to Quebec City which was stunning. On the way I got a slight taste of the Fall, but it was too early to see it in all its glory. In Montreal the views from Parc Royal were magnificent. Eating out at night was good, mostly in the Old City. The Olympic Stadium and the nearby Botanic Gardens and insectarium were impressive. St. Patrick's Church with its associations with Darcy Magee and Emil Neligan was memorable.
    Regrets I have a few. I didn't get to the Laurentians, and I didn't get to visit a Native American village of which I understand there are a few near Montreal.
    The people couldn't have been nicer. There was never a hint of a problem over language. In fact it was hinted at just once. Buying my train ticket for Quebec, the seller waxed lyrical about that city. He was Francophone, but with English as good as mine. I concluded by saying "merci," and his response was " thanks for the merci." He was expressing appreciation of the fact that I used a word of French. Most people had good English. I met a few who had no English, and found them extremely courteous when confronted by my halting French. A previous poster counselled respect for their language - good advice, and a given in any situation of linguistic or cultural difference. It seems I wasn't meeting the same people as anyone here who experienced language fascism. Once on a long walk I stopped off at a Chinese restaurant on the edge of Chinatown to rest and quaff a beer. Not one member of staff in that restaurant spoke a word of French, and they seemed to be surviving very well.
    Thanks for all your words of advice.

Advertisement