Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager from hell

Options
  • 21-07-2014 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭

Long story short, Im working for a fast food company the last 3 and a half years as a part time driver.

The last few months my manager (owns 2 other of the same franchise stores elsewhere) has been very abusive and demanding to us employees.

His wallet with a large sum of money went missing and that prompted him to get cameras as he was convinced it was someone in the shop that took it (none of us actually did, we've all known each other a long long time but I can understand his point).

There's 4 female staff members and 2 male (myself included) and anytime the girls are out the back he does be feeling them up, ahem, squeezing bums ,holding them by the hips etc etc.

The girls have literally told him to "Fook off away from me" but he continually does this.

Tonight, we are meant to finish at midnight, we got out about 10 past 12, he rang my GF (also works in store) complaining that a section of the food was not covered up for tomorrow (he works in another one of the stores - he must've popped in to check everything on the way home or something ) and he was shouting to her on the phone saying if she didn't go to the store immediately and cover the food and clean the fridge (not her duties, another girl was meant to do it tonight) that she wouldn't get her pay from during the week and he will cut all her hours. This was at 1.20am!!!

The other girl who was meant to do the job got off a few minutes early to catch her mates in a nightclub so can't be contacted.

Cue me getting out of bed, dropping the GF down and he was waiting outside shouting 5e streets down! I'm still waiting outside the shop 40 minutes later!

I don't know what to do, he will easily cut our hours he has no regard to the law, even since the wallet missing incedint he has refused to sign my job benefit slips so I'm down 500 Euro per month, he's such a mean person and only thinks of himself, anything out of line and he will make us pay, eg a mistaken order in the shops comes out of wages etc... I'm afraid to leave, this day and age with recession it's hard to get a secure job.

Any advice on what to do is appreciated. Sorry for spelling - Auto correct I'm on my phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

All the law is on your and especially the abused women's side
    He has to sign your slips
    If he won't the. Fill them in yourself and tell the social that you are
    I'd video the fool and record all calls and I advise you do the same
    Small spy cameras and recorded are cheap now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks for the advice.

My GF just quit there ran out crying, he was making her do extra jobs on top of what he said on the phone, extras that could've been done tomorrow before she started. She's going to go in and get her pay on Tuesday when it's due. He better not refuse otherwise I'll take it out of the til for her. She's distraught here shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Never make a decision when angry, op. (And, conversely, try not to promise when hsppy).
    Dont rob from the till. The law is on both yer sides on this. So, (if this is what youre doing), follow due course and take you boss for what he owes ye. Stealing from the till will seriously harm you in that.

Never make a decision when angry, op. (And, conversely, try not to promise when hsppy).
    Dont rob from the till. The law is on both yer sides on this. So, (if this is what youre doing), follow due course and take you boss for what he owes ye. Stealing from the till will seriously harm you in that.

Yeah, sorry, just very angry at the moment!! Doesn't help I'm up before 6am.

I'll hopefully have a more clear head about it tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If this is a franchise you need to go over his head to the higher ups. Once they see a nice sexual harassment lawsuit coming their way he won't last much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

rizzee wrote: »
    There's 4 female staff members and 2 male (myself included) and anytime the girls are out the back he does be feeling them up, ahem, squeezing bums ,holding them by the hips etc etc.

The girls have literally told him to "Fook off away from me" but he continually does this.

Whatever about the rest of the stuff, this kind of behaviour in the environment we live in (after Savile, Rolf Harris, etc) is just viewed in society as totally unacceptable. It was always illegal, but let's face it 20 or 30 years ago females generally didn't bother complaining of groping incidents by a male in a position of relative power in the past because they didn't think complaints would be taken seriously.

Tbh if one of your female colleagues can substantiate this behaviour, the guy is fecked, we are talking criminal sex assaults here under the law, potentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Thanks for the advice.

My GF just quit there ran out crying, he was making her do extra jobs on top of what he said on the phone, extras that could've been done tomorrow before she started. She's going to go in and get her pay on Tuesday when it's due. He better not refuse otherwise I'll take it out of the til for her. She's distraught here shaking.

On reading this, I agree with what Renegade Mechanic said, would advise strongly against taking any money out of till as it gives him case against you, regardless of he valid grievances you or other employees might have.

Apparently he's gone around rang all staff today saying he FIRED her last night, when she was the one who left. Idiot.

Anyway, I think I'll ring head office and get details of someone high up to send a letter.

I got a call off another employee from the other store saying the manager plans to fire me within the next week because of my attitude towards him about my girlfriends dismissal! He can't do that can he?

Also, rang up head office today and asked for their address. Will be sending a formal letter soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Apparently he's gone around rang all staff today saying he FIRED her last night, when she was the one who left. Idiot.

Anyway, I think I'll ring head office and get details of someone high up to send a letter.

I'd say go along with that, she can sign on immediately after being fired but not if she quit, also she can look into wrongful dismissal which is easier to chase than constructive dismissal.

Document everything.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'd say go along with that, she can sign on immediately after being fired but not if she quit, also she can look into wrongful dismissal which is easier to chase than constructive dismissal.

Document everything.

I don't think she can sign on as she's only finished school? ( she's 18 and put in a managerial role without training, also no h&s, manual handling training, the main manager has done nothing to train people in)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't think she can sign on as she's only finished school? ( she's 18 and put in a managerial role without training, also no h&s, manual handling training, the main manager has done nothing to train people in)

She can apply for Job Seekers Allowance

Multiple phone calls and emails sent today from different people regarding the manager and his behavior. He's holding a staff meeting tonight which I haven't been informed about. I reckon he's going to shout at everyone and see who's talking about him behind his back/why he's getting complaints from head office. He's a bully.

Advertisement