Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost receipt

Options
  • 21-07-2014 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I purchased a Packard Bell Easy Note TE11HC last September. I also purchased insurance whilst in shop.

At first my keyboard started acting up most of the upper keys will not work. The I got the Blue screen of death, and I have tried everything to try and get it back working. When I did eventually get some life into it, I made a recovery disk on to my hard drive, while having to details all my files on it first.

It worked ok until I tried to update stuff on the windows, and now its the same again.

Unfortunately I have lost this receipt with the insurance on it.

I bought it out of PC/Curry.

I am just wondering if I can still bring this laptop back? Will the insurance show up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

They will most likely have a record of it. However a card statement will suffice. The fact that Packard Bell is their own brand would also suffice however if there are other sources of Packard Bell then this one would get problematic.

The insurance is for, I assume, accidental damage etc. Your consumer rights protect you for up to 6 years without paying for insurance. Third party insurance for things like laptops is almost always cheaper than purchasing in the shop. That said, that's not what you asked.

Take it back in with the serial number, they'll be only too happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Currys/PC world capture your details at point of sale. If you go back in and give them the surname it was bought under and the rough date they will be able to find you. Also if it was bought by card your statement is as good as a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I take photos of important receipts with my phone. Some thermal ones fade over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Thanks everyone for the replies, going to bring back tomorrow and see what they say. I bought two other items also so hopefully this will make it easier to find me.

I'll bring ID just in case.

@Rub I will be doing this in future thanks for the idea :)

Well they wouldn't take it back. Apparently the sale is not even on their system, which basically the laptop never existed. Raging isn't the word!

The fella told me to bring in the WD harddrive I purchased with the laptop and the model of the printer I bought with the laptop and see if he can do anything for me.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS KEEP RECEIPT

• Advertisement

Well they wouldn't take it back. Apparently the sale is not even on their system, which basically the laptop never existed. Raging isn't the word!

The fella told me to bring in the WD harddrive I purchased with the laptop and the model of the printer I bought with the laptop and see if he can do anything for me.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS KEEP RECEIPT

Did you pay by card? The date of transaction on the card is all you'll need. If they won;t do anything at that point get on to the financial ombudsman about the insurance and small claims court for the laptop.

Dont buy anything, especially their rip off cover plan, from that shower again is the best advice you can be given OP. Amazon is where I buy everything these days, the service is amazing, receipts are all stored electronically and they actually seem to understand Irish consumer rights. Not to mention it's a damn sight cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A credit card or bank card statement will suffice in lieu of a receipt.

Hey guys,

I went back into them, as one of the tech guys said that if I brought the hard drive I also bought with the laptop that he may be able to find me then. So went back in and another fella was on, he asked the usual same questions, when I bought it etc, he found my recepit and insurance in literally a minute, apparently it was because Pc World turned into PC/Currys and I bought it while it was still PC world.

Anyway that was grand, the tech guy said that he could fix my keyboard, but if they find any sofware problems it will cost me 65 euro. He said they will ring anyway and confirm.

So I got a call Friday morning from a guy from know how to say that it was my hard drive that was causing the problems. Since the laptop is under a year old am I wrong to think I shouldn't have to pay?

I emailed Knowhow, but still no reply.

As long as the laptop is under six years you have a stateable claim for repair. Under a year most certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey guys,

I went back into them, as one of the tech guys said that if I brought the hard drive I also bought with the laptop that he may be able to find me then. So went back in and another fella was on, he asked the usual same questions, when I bought it etc, he found my recepit and insurance in literally a minute, apparently it was because Pc World turned into PC/Currys and I bought it while it was still PC world.

Anyway that was grand, the tech guy said that he could fix my keyboard, but if they find any sofware problems it will cost me 65 euro. He said they will ring anyway and confirm.

So I got a call Friday morning from a guy from know how to say that it was my hard drive that was causing the problems. Since the laptop is under a year old am I wrong to think I shouldn't have to pay?

I emailed Knowhow, but still no reply.

Had this same issue with pc world with a new pc only a couple of weeks old. Pc kept crashing they told me it was a software issue and they were only responsible for hardware and I'd need to pay. It took going down to store and arguing politely but sternly for them to give in and sort it. In my experience pc/currys can be an awkward company to deal they almost always make it difficult to get anywhere with them and the older the issue the harder to sort. Could understand if a lot of 3rd party software has been installed over time but in my case the pc was as bought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement