Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead pixel

Options
  • 21-07-2014 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I noticed today on my 24'' BenQ Monitor which I bought from Argos had a very small dead pixel inside the screen.

The monitor was purchased about 5 months ago.

Can I return it or should I just suck it up and try and live with it? (I am quite OCD when it comes to these things)

I am just worried in case it starts to develop more dead pixels as time goes on, as I only noticed it today.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Bring it back and exchange it. Simple as.

Its pretty tiny though. Can i still exchange it? I honestly am worried it will become worse or more will appear if I just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It will depend on the level of quality.

Some manufacturers say that it is not a defect unless there are 4-6 contiguous dead pixels.

Also, some pixels come to life after they warm up. This can take a few days though. But, some are just dead dead.

Go back to Argos and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Most many manufacturers have a 4-6 pixel threshold before the panel is deemed defective. 1 pixel out of over 2 million is annoying, but it's still fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. That said there's no harm in asking

GUIGuy wrote: »
    Most many manufacturers have a 4-6 pixel threshold before the panel is deemed defective. 1 pixel out of over 2 million is annoying, but it's still fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. That said there's no harm in asking

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that once you notice things like this it's hard to stop looking at it! :D I will bring it in anyway and make my case, not the end of the world if they can't do anything for me as it's just the one dead pixel (as far as I can see) but worth asking as you said. I will update the thread when I come back from there at the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Two options.
    1, try and fix it. It may just be stuck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eQhhMvi-U
    2, Just bring it back. I doubt argos will check it then and there. You just say it has dead pixels.

Two options.
    1, try and fix it. It may just be stuck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eQhhMvi-U
    2, Just bring it back. I doubt argos will check it then and there. You just say it has dead pixels.

Thanks, will try the video method!

Yeah, I was thinking the same R.E them not checking it, but do you think because its around 4 months old that they would check it?

I've dealt with a scummy manager in a different argos store where he basically laughed in my face when there were three small dead pixels on a Samsung tablet I had bought. It actually happens quite a bit.

Right, just checked the stock on Argos' site and they do not have any stock of the monitor I have in any of the Cork stores. Can I ask for a refund in this instance, to my card which I paid by? Heading in with the monitor tomorrow afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

They're not obliged to make a decision there and then. They'll probably hold onto it for a bit before making a decision.

They're not obliged to make a decision there and then. They'll probably hold onto it for a bit before making a decision.

how long do you think?

• Advertisement

Depends on their internal policies really. If they entertain the compaint (and they might not for 1 pixel) they might insist that it be sent away to be assessed. Only thing to do is bring it in and find out.

Depends on their internal policies really. If they entertain the compaint (and they might not for 1 pixel) they might insist that it be sent away to be assessed. Only thing to do is bring it in and find out.

I would then be without a monitor. would they really do that?

I don't see why not. It's not like they have a tech team in each store, how else would they assess a technical problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Have you tried gently massaging the dead pixel.

http://lifehacker.com/152062/fix-your-lcds-dead-pixels

old_aussie wrote: »
    Have you tried gently massaging the dead pixel.

http://lifehacker.com/152062/fix-your-lcds-dead-pixels

No, does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sam Mac wrote: »
    No, does it work?

There can be a number of ways to revive a dead pixel - massage, heat treatment, etc. Try and see.

But, for a single dead pixel, after they test it for 1-2 weeks, they may return it to you stating that it is working within expected tolerances. Is it worth that hassle to you? Also, if they do replace it, there is no guarantee that the replacement one won't also have one or more dead pixels.

How often do you sit close enough to the screen to notice the dead pixel? From normal viewing distance you probably wouldn't even notice.

Paulw wrote: »
    There can be a number of ways to revive a dead pixel - massage, heat treatment, etc. Try and see.

But, for a single dead pixel, after they test it for 1-2 weeks, they may return it to you stating that it is working within expected tolerances. Is it worth that hassle to you? Also, if they do replace it, there is no guarantee that the replacement one won't also have one or more dead pixels.

How often do you sit close enough to the screen to notice the dead pixel? From normal viewing distance you probably wouldn't even notice.

In fairness I can't actually see it unless I look for it, it's in the bottom left corner of the screen. I think I will leave it for now & just stick with it, unless of course more develop over time.

Advertisement