Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heaters - recommendations, please...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

2011 wrote: »
    I would think that the single most important item is the cost of heating a home by using storage heaters.

Yes, that is quite correct.
    My relation will not allow gas in the house, doesn't want an oil tank in the back and certainly will not entertain solid fuel so choices are limited. One can consider direct (full cost) electric heating by all the different devices, oil filled rads, convection heaters, "fan" heaters, panel heaters etc and also ground or air sourced Heat Pump.
    In theory a storage heater is attractive but one of their biggest problems is not being able to retain their heat when not needed, the Quantum seem to have tried to address this by spending a lot of money on insulation, AkaMrSmith says 70%, they and other manufacturers also use smart controls to only charge the heater with the amount that one uses for the following period(s), I presume this is because the heating material doesn't have to be heated to the very high temperatures required for a full charge, this in turn means less heat leakage and easier room temperature control, all leading to cheaper running costs.
    At the end of the day, I would only suggest that it is worth considering, once one has all the "facts", as far as I am concerned I would need to know what the leakage rate actually is, it obviously will not be linear but Dimplex must certainly know the rate, so could we have it please?.

Has anyone got any more information on these ?

I work shift and don't want to keep the whole house warm when not needed when I'm home off of shift and would rather heat the sitting room throughout the day if possible and I'm keen to know how good their heat retention is, also for when I am not home all day.

I already have a night meter and 6.4 cent per Kwh is actually very appealing, I drive an EV which benefits tremendously having the night meter.

I do have oil heating too but don't want to use oil to heat the whole house when not needed. I can use the very efficient oil stove when needed in the kitchen.

My daily average consumption is around 15.5 Kwh including the EV.

Advertisement