Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming system to HTPC conversion

• 21-07-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Any help with this would be appreciated!

After 18 months of loyal service my Arctic MC001 has died. To replace it I'm considering converting my gaming system into a high spec HTPC.

Ideally I'd like to reuse all my old hardware but throw it into a case with a high WAF as it will be thrown under the tv:P!

Current hardware is:

Asus Z877-I
    Intel 2500k
    Corsair h100i cooler
    16gb Kingston Hyperx blue
    x2 3.5" HDD (3tb total storage)
    x1 250gb SSD
    MSI GTX760 Hawk edition

I've no optical drive and while not essential I'd like to be able to throw a bluray drive into whatever case is suggested.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Any help with this would be appreciated!

After 18 months of loyal service my Arctic MC001 has died. To replace it I'm considering converting my gaming system into a high spec HTPC.

Ideally I'd like to reuse all my old hardware but throw it into a case with a high WAF as it will be thrown under the tv:P!

Current hardware is:

Asus Z877-I
    Intel 2500k
    Corsair h100i cooler
    16gb Kingston Hyperx blue
    x2 3.5" HDD (3tb total storage)
    x1 250gb SSD
    MSI GTX760 Hawk edition

I've no optical drive and while not essential I'd like to be able to throw a bluray drive into whatever case is suggested.

Thanks!

Have you considered the power that thing would draw? Be better sell what you can and build something more efficient or get a HP Microserver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Power consumption is not an issue as it's an always on system at the moment regardless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You could set it up as a HTPC server, as is, and get a client box for the TV.

Would be cheaper and neater if you have somewhere to hide the existing box where the noise won't interfere and you can run a CAT5e or 6 cable from there to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Thats my current setup, the MC001 was acting as a client running openelec.

The idea behind moving this system from were it currently sits to under the TV was to cut out a client system altogether and use it for some casual gaming as well (the thought of running SteamOS had crossed my mind)

I've found a decently priced Silverstone Grandia GD05, it *should* do the job :)

Advertisement