Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with shipping

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I purchased a new phone from a German website that has developed a faulty screen. I've rang the manufacturers here but they won't cover it since the phone was purchased in Germany. Also the model I purchased isn't available in the UK and Irish market yet.

The company I purchased the phone from are saying they are not liable for the cost of shipping the phone back to them.

I have tried to look the information up on line but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Surely the warranty is a European one? What manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I thought so too. I can't find any warrenty information on their website for the phone. The manufacturer is LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

G2? I see some other forum posts saying it's not covered anywhere but in the country it was sold! Seems odd though, any time I've had a warranty claim the manufacturer sent a courier to pickup (Samsung, HTC, Asus and Acer). I guess you have no option but to send it back (TO manufacturer or retailer) by courier at your expense.

Nope a G3. Guess thats a lesson learned for me then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

A manufacturer/seller's warranty doesn't guarantee free shipping unless it says so and can have whatever restrictions (within law) the manufacturer/seller wants written into it.

You bought within the EU so you have enforceable consumer rights. The fact you used a website rather than in-store does not reduce your rights. You can invoke those rights here and they're enforceable throughout the EU. One of your rights as a consumer is not to be out of pocket as a result of a product defect (and a few others). While some retailers pay for shipping up front they are also generally within their rights to get you to pay for return shipping and examination but they must refund you those costs if the defect was not caused by abuse/misuse.

You can contact the European Consumer Centre for advice http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/shopping-online/

• Advertisement

Great stuff thanks for all the help

Advertisement