Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton Square/Living in Maynooth

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy in Maynooth and am considering an apartment in Carton Square. What is the area like? Would it be quiet/loud part of Maynooth? Would many students be renting in the estate?

Also if anyone has any feedback about living in Maynooth, the good and the bad, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy in Maynooth and am considering an apartment in Carton Square. What is the area like? Would it be quiet/loud part of Maynooth? Would many students be renting in the estate?

Also if anyone has any feedback about living in Maynooth, the good and the bad, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

It's a quiet, well managed estate, with the advantage of being centrally located.

While most of the properties have been sold, there is one main landlord who doesn't accept students. Main target tenants are teachers & Intel.

The bad part of Maynooth are the students midweek down the town and on route home after a night out. Traffic at peak time is brutal if you don't know how to navigate it.

Good. Location, transport, amenities & facilities, atmosphere etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Moved to maynooth 4 months ago... It has been a very positive experience. Its a very vibrant town and there is always people around. Seems to be very open and accepting place too. I' guessing that's having the uni there. Plenty of restaurants and places to get a drink. every supermarket you can think of. Big Playground for the kids and lots of nice places to walk the dogs. I never really hit the traffic but it looks brutal.

All in all I find it to be a lovely place to live. Ok you do get the odd broken bottle and rubbish but I don't know of anywhere you don't get this unfortunately. Great bus and rail links to the city too if your a city center worker.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I know some people who lived in Carton Square and had a bit of different experience of it.

Lot's of the houses are rented and although they are young professionals renting, there does tend to be a bit of noise on Saturday nights.

Have heard of cars being vandalised in the estate too.

They could have just had a bad experience there though.

I love living in Maynooth, the town is lovely to walk around, lots of restaurants, enough pubs to be able to have a variety, beautiful walks around Carton House and excellent public transport links to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I'm Not in carton square to be clear... Parklands for me.:) Its lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I lived literally just off Carton Square on Dillon's Row for a few months and found it great. Granted, that was during the summer so it was probably a bit quieter, but it was an ideal location to the main street.

In terms of Maynooth in general- I was never a massive fan of the place until I lived here, and now it just keeps growing on me year in year out. It's a lovely, unique, vibrant town with tonnes going on and everything you could possibly want on your doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are living in Maynooth nearly 5 years now and love it. It is a great place to live with nearly everything you need on your doorstep and within walking distance.
    My own experience on Carton Square is that there is a Montessori school there that my kids went to and it looks like a lovely quite estate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

One of the nicest estates in the town imo.Might change if they build a **** load of apartments across the road from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Derby1

One year on how is everyone feeling about Carton Square? It seems like a very nice estate and the feedback above is encouraging but one year on how was your experience?

I have opportunity of buying a 3 bed appartment on Carton Square and am having difficulty establishing the going rate as i do not see any recent sales or current properties available.

The trafic is certainly brutal based on the weekend i was there. I can only imagine what it is like during the week when the students are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Derby1 wrote: »
    One year on how is everyone feeling about Carton Square? It seems like a very nice estate and the feedback above is encouraging but one year on how was your experience?

I have opportunity of buying a 3 bed appartment on Carton Square and am having difficulty establishing the going rate as i do not see any recent sales or current properties available.

The trafic is certainly brutal based on the weekend i was there. I can only imagine what it is like during the week when the students are about.

Prices would be a little higher than straffon wood if you can find a sale there. Traffic is dependant on where you are going. If it's Intel/ dublin, you can just take the backroad. Heading into the town/schools is a nightmare.

I think apartments are a selling pretty near asking prices, houses are different matter altogether.

No real change that I know of. Main landlord is/was reducing his stock in a rising market from what i can tell. Has no problem renting or selling. Has tended to sell a property as leases end, though not seen any up in a while.

The builds are solid.

Peak time traffic is a long term problem but is offset by ability to stroll down town.

• Advertisement

Builds certainly seem solid. When were they built?

Does 280k seem about right for a three bed. Figures add up yield wise at about 6% but when you start taking out expenses you quite rapidly start dropping nearer to 4%. I can see quite a few sales agreed but no completions so no sales prices to go on.

Is it one of the duplexes? Seems a bit high to me. I'd say closer to 250? Have you had any valuations done?

I almost sold my apartment in Maynooth to a friend of a friend last year, got 3 valuations done. Average was 180. We told them this is what we wanted to sell to them for. They ended up messing us around so we went with an agent and sold for closer to 190.

Have you checked the property register online or even sold in myhome? Def there over the years. As i said, they're selling into a rising market. So it will be higher than 12months ago or whatever. Its only worth what you are willing to pay.

A place like that would definitly sell easily on the open market at the right price. Particularly as its a 3 bed.
    Rental income I'd say could make 1400. A 6% gross yield isn't great for investment. So at that price most investors wouldn't buy. I can't see many people buying to live in either as 'starter homes' don't really exist anymore due to the uncertainty of not actually being able to trade up in future.

I'd say price is too high

Advertisement