Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doctor Who Run through

• 21-07-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

There's a Star Trek run through thread and a Stargate run through thread but none for Doctor who I believe. ( I could be wrong) so I thought it would be good to set one up.

With Less than 5 weeks to go I decided to rewatch Doctor who from the 9th Doctor Chris Eccleston.

The first episode was Rose.

It was weird seeing Mickey having little to no screen time seen as he became a big part of the show later on.

Billie Piper looked hot! I like my curvy girls and she defo does it for me!

There's a scene where he looks in the mirror and he checks out his features almost like he is a brand new and just regenerated. I wonder if the War Doctor did regenerate to the 9th Doctor does it pick up straight away and he meets Rose?

The second episode was the end of the world.

Chris Eccleston is quite good as the Doctor, He's a little dark. he's quite Angry about something we just don't know about yet. (time war from what we know) Is it possible he believes he has just destroyed Galifrey?

Also at the end of the episode he brings the last human Casandra back on board and just lets her die...almost as revenge for killing people. Rose even asked the Doctor to help her and he just said no, everyone has a time to go

I've only seen the 9th Doctors season once when I first got into Doctor who so it was quite some time ago when I watched them all.

After the first two episodes I'm quite looking forward to seeing them all again knowing the future/past/wibbly wobbly timey wimey :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

100 odd episodes (including specials) since Eccleston.

In 5 weeks, that makes, 3ish episodes per day. This is do-able.

I'll start tonight. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Ron DMC wrote: »

Ouch, I'm already behind! I'm only 2 episodes in and I didn't get to watch anything last night! better up the game :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You could do well and skip the farting aliens and cut a good chunk out.

Episode 3 the quiet undead, I thought the episode was going to be a bit meh, but there was a few interesting points.

What I did like was Rose at the start of the episode, How 3 episodes in, she's still in a bit of shock that she can go back in time. I find with other companions its just like I'm the Doctor I'm a time traveler off we go and thats it.

Also The Doctor tells Rose to get changed before going outside, that certainly doesn't happen anymore!

The actress "Gwenyth" who worked in the funeral home is "Gwen Cooper" from Torchwood

Theres the First mention of Big Bad Wolf

Also the first mention of "The Time War" and an interesting reaction from The Doctor when the alien mentions it, he certainly sits up and pays attention and almost changes his attitude and wants to help even more.

Aliens of London now.

good episode, although at the start rose has been missing for a year, why not after realising the mistake go back a year so that Roses mum doesn't go through the anguish of a missing daughter!

Special effects were a bit naff towards the end, its also a two parter so i'll watch the second half tomorrow

• Advertisement

Watched the second part of aliens invasion, it was an OK episode.

Next episode was Dalek
    Great episode Chris Eccleston was fantastic in it, he had such anger toward the Dalek.

There was a lot of talk about the time war, how The Doctor had destroyed them all both time lords and Daleks.

I'm really enjoying this season, I had forgotten how good Chris was playing the Doctor

Dalek is next on my list.

I've enjoyed the rewatch so far. Rose is a lot less annoying than I remember, and I'm already empathising with Mickey over her choosing the Doctor over him.

Dalek is next on my list.

I've enjoyed the rewatch so far. Rose is a lot less annoying than I remember, and I'm already empathising with Mickey over her choosing the Doctor over him.

great episode.

I'm on episode 7, bit of a fluff episode. Simon Pegg was good in it though

onto Fathers day, It was a good episode no special details about it. still a good story line though. The one thing I would say is Rose changed the past, this made the time line weak and these "aliens/demons" were able to breach into this world and it was only by Roses dad getting killed that everything was OK, but The Doctor changes stuff all the time so why did we not see the same thing happen again and again?

I was going to skip the empty child as I thought the whole "mummy bit" was quite annoying but then when I saw the introduction to Cap'n Jack Harkness I thought I'd better stick with it.

Cap'n Jack comes across as quite the player at first, Flirting with Rose quite a lot. I thought Jack was gay? or perhaps he is just using his charm to get what he wants?

The episode was actually a lot better than I remember TBH and good thing I didn't skip it it is a two parter!

I'm finding the two parters always end like the ol classic 60's batman, Batman in peril however will he escape tune in next week same bat time same bat channel and then when you watch the show they just miraculously escape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Jack was an equal opportunities philanderer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, it was established at some point that the century Jack came from (the 51st or something like that) was a lot more sexually liberal.

60's batman point proven, they got out of the situation by the doctor telling everyone to go to their room :rolleyes:

The whole "are you my mummy" is really annoying me now. This was why I wanted to skip this episode.

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, it was established at some point that the century Jack came from (the 51st or something like that) was a lot more sexually liberal.

Yep pretty much spot on!

final episode before the final two parter and we say goodbye to the 9th Doctor.

Boom town, the female Slivean? Slivene? is back and is up to her old tricks.

Bad wolf was mentioned again, they finally seem to take notice of it but then laugh it off.

I like the banter between The Doctor Rose and Cap'n Jack.

And onto Bad wolf I go.

Really good episode, The whole big brother, weakest link bit was a bit naff.
    But overall a great episode. I really like the anger of The Doctor when he thought Rose was dead.

Great reveal of the Daleks and how they had been running human history for hundreds of years.

If The new Doctor is going to be dark and angry like Chris then I think the new series will be brilliant!

Final episode of the season and a good bye to Chris.

Within the first couple of minutes he says "and now for my next trick" which was featured in the 50th anniversary :D:D:D:D

There's a scene where you can see The Doctor visibly upset after talking with the Daleks he realises that he burned all of the time lords for nothing as the Daleks are still around!

We see how the 10th and 11th still tried to cope with the issue and still reeled over it, it must of been awful for The Doctor.

Bad Wolf was finally explained, The Daleks defeated. Jack brought back to life and left immortal (well we don't know that yet) The Doctor sacrificing himself for Rose.

Overall this episode and this season has been "Fantastic" :D

Now onto Mr Tennant

Season 2 -The Tenant years
    Episode 1 was the Xmas special. so so episode, not sure why Tennants regeneration took so long in comparison to other regenerations.
    I keep forgetting how good Tennant is as The Doctor.

Episode 2 was new Earth. First time The Doctor says "oh im sorry im so so sorry"
    I'm going to county how many times he says that! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

crazyderk wrote: »
    Season 2 -The Tenant years
    Episode 1 was the Xmas special. so so episode, not sure why Tennants regeneration took so long in comparison to other regenerations.
    I keep forgetting how good Tennant is as The Doctor.

Episode 2 was new Earth. First time The Doctor says "oh im sorry im so so sorry"
    I'm going to county how many times he says that! :D:D:D

He kinda breaks the rules for his regeneration too. RTD wasn't a massive fan of continuity when it stood in the way of his big moments :)

He kinda breaks the rules for his regeneration too. RTD wasn't a massive fan of continuity when it stood in the way of his big moments :)

I'll keep an eye out for that moving forward.

episode 3 was fairly naff, I didn't pay any attention to it really except for the end. Now we know how torchwood came to be!

Up as far as season two, episode three. Decent werewolf episode but seriously, what is this show's fascination with the Victorian era?

Feeling worse for poor Mickey as the episodes go on...

• Advertisement

I would guess the BBC simply has loads of Victorian stuff lying around since they're known for their period pieces...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True though Matt Smiths recent one wasn't exactly over in a flash. :) IIRC didn't the Tom Baker to Davidson regen take ages, with Doc 5 in limbo recovering from the changeover? Maybe that's my memory playing up though.

Personally speaking I liked Ecclestones rendition. I was surprised to see he took the role in the first place(though him and RTD are/were mates). Heavy duty actor type. He wasn't great at the frivolity bits, but I think that helped the portrayal. Made him more "alien". For me he's by far the "darkest" of the new who guys, the most "adult man" vibe to him. If he had done a second season I doubt they'd have pursued the Doc/Rose romance thing as much as they did with Tennant. Would have been a bit too uncomfortable I reckon. Again IMH he was far more believable as dangerous bastid under the smiles. Put it another way if you were out of a night and each one of them picked a fight who would you think of running away from first? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

onto the next two episodes. Mickey is now officially part of the crew.
    nothing special otherwise but enjoyable episodes
    next is the cybermen!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Just watched all the Ecclestone episodes, started on Tennant's now. I love the little running joke with Harriet Jones. "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" "Yes, we know who you are."

watched the 2 part cybermen episode
    2 good episodes
    Mickeys frustration is turning to anger and action now so its been good to see his character grow, shame he has decided to stay in the parallel world

2 more sorry's from Tennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I would guess the BBC simply has loads of Victorian stuff lying around since they're known for their period pieces...

It was a point of contention in the interviews for the DVD release of Ghost Light. I can't recall if it were McCoy or Aldred who brought it up, but took the mick out of the fact that the BBC can go anywhere from 100-300 years into the past and have the most elaborate, fact-checked set-up imaginable, but go even five years in the future and it all falls apart in seconds....then, of course, cuts to a clip of the infamous umbrella-hang from Dragonfire.

Flew threw the rest of season 2. the two two parters were quite good we said goodbye to Rose saw Donna for the first time and now were about to meet Martha Jones.

The rest of the standalone episodes were a bit naff though!

I've gone through 6 episodes of season 3

The first was The runaway bride were we got introduced to Donna, The first time I watched it around I didn't like Donna but this time I didn't think she was so bad after seeing her season I suppose.

out of the other episodes I liked Gridlock the most.

One thing I noticed in the two part Dalek episode was a young actor by the name of Andrew Garfield. Perhaps his character Frank is Peter Parker's great grandfather :D:D:D:D

Just watched Blink.

Quality episode!

A lot of people say they would use that episode to introduce people to Doctor Who, would you do that?

• Advertisement

finished season 3 and now onto season 4 where we meet Donna

Martha was ok as a companion the whole i love him but he doesn't even notice me gets a bit old but otherwise she was an alright companion.

Theme music changes in season 4 and the episodes in season 3 are definitely much better that season 2 less cheesy and the episodes with the master were excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Never really warmed to Catherine Tate. She always seemed to be playing one of the characters from her sketch show, a sort of cross between the rude granny and the "am I bovvered girl".
    As for the Adipose, even my kids thought they were ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I had never watched anything of Catherine Tate before she was a companion to The Doctor but knew her shows through reputation. I thought I would despise her on Doctor Who but was surprised when I warmed to her after a few episodes. Maybe not knowing her "comedy" characters helped. I still haven't watched anything else with her in it, though!

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I had never watched anything of Catherine Tate before she was a companion to The Doctor but knew her shows through reputation. I thought I would despise her on Doctor Who but was surprised when I warmed to her after a few episodes. Maybe not knowing her "comedy" characters helped. I still haven't watched anything else with her in it, though!

You've seen this though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Started this myself, first time watcher of anything Dr. Who related. I started on the reboot of sorts, with Eccelstone & Piper...well impressed with it so far. I'm up to the WW2 "are you my mummy?" episode...creepy.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Started this myself, first time watcher of anything Dr. Who related. I started on the reboot of sorts, with Eccelstone & Piper...well impressed with it so far. I'm up to the WW2 "are you my mummy?" episode...creepy.

Oh I'm Jealous of you getting to watch it for the first time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

First time watcher as well, really like Tennant as the doctor! Dreading him leaving at the end of series 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

naughtb4 wrote: »
    First time watcher as well, really like Tennant as the doctor! Dreading him leaving at the end of series 4

I only started watching Doctor Who in late 2013 myself. My girlfriend loves it, so yadda yadda, had to start :pac:

Begin watching the 2005 reboot on netflix and ended up watching a few episodes every night with her. I too dreaded Tennant's departure and to be honest, Matt Smith just doesn't have it compared to Tennant.

I only started watching Doctor Who in late 2013 myself. My girlfriend loves it, so yadda yadda, had to start :pac:

Begin watching the 2005 reboot on netflix and ended up watching a few episodes every night with her. I too dreaded Tennant's departure and to be honest, Matt Smith just doesn't have it compared to Tennant.

I was like that, but then Matt soon became my favourite, he really grows as the doctor and has some great story lines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Smith defo gets much better over time. By the end he's well nailed his stamp on the character. Just as Tennant did. And Ecclestone. Of the three I'd put Eccy ahead by a nose over the other two myself. He was the guy who made the Nu Who work. Pity he didn't do one more year. Tennant could have done that too if he had been the first. Smith could have too, once the audience had gotten over his age(though they might not have without the previous two guys). Actually that's another reason why I think Capaldi is tanking, at least so far. If he had been the first in the rejig I'd bet anything we wouldn't be here over a decade later.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

up as far as journeys end last night.

I've really enjoyed this season and David is great as the doctor and really grew into the role. There's a massive difference between now and when he first started which gives me some hope for the new Doctor.

it was all wrapped up nicely at the end with Rose and all the other side kicks, it feels like the end of a season now the build up to the end of David and the start of Matt.

• Advertisement

Just watched the end of time and said Goodbye to David Tennant.

He was indeed a great Doctor.

I had a lot of questions about the time war and did things add due to that last episode and I ended up having to read about the time war to see if it all added up.

Looks like Mr Moffat did his research and I think it all adds up unless someone cant see some errors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I started watching Doctor Who a year ago on Netflix.

I cant say much about Christopher era of Doctor Who since he only had one season, but I was hooked from very first episode of first season of NuWho.

I absolutely loved David Tennant era of Doctor Who. I thought ever single companion was great even Donna Noble during Tennant era. I was very sad when Tennant left the show and we got Matt Smith.

Matt Smith era of Doctor Who was alright not as great Tennant era. I was not fan of Amy Pond/Karen Gillen, she is least favourite Doctor Who companion and I was happy when she exited from show and we got Clara who is my second favourite companion of all-time (Rose being my #1). It was tough for Matt Smith since he had big shoes to fill when Tennant left the show, but he was ok doctor he was not terrible.

I would not rank Doctor Who as #1 favourite TV of all-time, but it is definitely in my top 10.

Just finished Season 2 of the rebooted Dr Who :( I really don't like change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just finished Season 2 of the rebooted Dr Who :( I really don't like change...

Skip ahead to Series 5 so, it gets much better.

flazio wrote: »
    Skip ahead to Series 5 so, it gets much better.

No chance :) I'm really enjoying Tennant as the Doctor actually. It took me a few eps to get used to him after Eccelstone who was also brilliant. Loving the show so far though

No chance :) I'm really enjoying Tennant as the Doctor actually. It took me a few eps to get used to him after Eccelstone who was also brilliant. Loving the show so far though

Series 2 was a bit naff but there was a couple of good episodes
    Series 3 and 4 get much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Doing a watch through with my GF as she's never seen the older (you know what I mean) stuff. Just watched Blink. She was freaking out. Brilliant episode.

I'm about mid way through season 3 now, & am still really enjoying the show. I've really gotten used to Tennant now & think he's brilliant (though he reminds me of Richard Hammond for some reason!). Slowly getting used to Agyeman as the new companion (still miss Rose though :().

I'm about mid way through season 3 now, & am still really enjoying the show. I've really gotten used to Tennant now & think he's brilliant (though he reminds me of Richard Hammond for some reason!). Slowly getting used to Agyeman as the new companion (still miss Rose though :().

TBH Rose only seems like a good companion til the Donna era :)

TBH Rose only seems like a good companion til the Donna era :)

I look forward to it :)

On another note, at what point should I start to watch Torchwood? I presume it runs concurrently alongside Doctor Who, ala Stargate SG1/Stargate Atlantis?

• Advertisement
Advertisement