Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Run through

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok, with the best will in the world, I'm going to miss some of these out. But hopefully I'll get the majority.

Tennant extras:

2005 children in need special AKA Born again- should have watched this after the first series. Sorry! Suprisingly deep characterisation for a CIN special.

TIme Crash- written by Moffat- watch this between end of series 3 and Christmas special. This is a lot of fun if you've any pre 2005 Doctor Who knowledge.

Music of the Spheres- watch any time, a throw away special for the proms. Fun :)

The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith parts 1 and 2- watch after season 4. I think.

Smith Era Specials:

Space/ Time:

Two specials, not one name. Watch after series 5.

Night and the Doctor:

If you want exact times to watch these minisodes, you'll need to look up the tardis wiki, but I watched them all happily at the end of Season 6.

Death is the only answer: The Doctor meets Einstein, watch after the Big Bang.

Good as gold: An Olymics tie in, technically comes after the Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe.

The Death of Sarah Jane Smith: Watch after A Good Man goes to war

The great Detective: Prequel to the Snowmen

The Night of the Doctor: Probably the most special short on this entire list. comes before The Day of the Doctor (50th anniversary special).

There's also 2 animated specials with Tennant if you're REALLY completionist.

Told you I'd miss some...

Rain gods: Before The Doctor Wife...

Inforarium- before series 7

Clara and the Tardis- end of series 7

I will no doubt be back when I remember more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Great, thanks for that Doom! Will have to do a bit of catching up now between Torchwood & the specials

OOOOOOH the Pond life shorts!!! Before season 7!!!

This is insane, how many shorts do they have? I haven't even mentioned the out of continuity ones.

EDIT: PS is another one, after the season break in season 7...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd go so far and say just watch Sarah Jane Adventures through as you are going to do with Torchwood, among the farting Slitheen and the odd bit of gunge there's actually some pretty decent stories there. In my opinion 'Whatever Happened To Sarah Jane' is as fine a piece of drama that even it's parent show came up with, that's probably why it's baddie had influences over both Doctor Who and Torchwood stories. Series 1 can be watched after DW Series 3 and Series 2 opens with a tie in to a DW Series 4 story.
    Series 4 had that magical moment when the 11th Doctor not only came face to face with Sarah Jane but also her predecessor all those years ago Jo Jones (nee Grant).

I'm just under half way through Season 1 of Torchwood....and dare I say it.....I'm not finding it too bad :o Granted I went in with extremely low expectations...but yeah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cannot warm to Amy at all, really like Rory though

She comes across as a complete B*tch!

Also not really mad on Moffet, preferred the previous writing.

Smith onwards, the storylines really do get a bit all over the place with nonsensical plots

Finished Doctor Who season 3, & am half way through Season 2 of Torchwood. Utterly enjoying both I have to say :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Am I to take it you ran through series 1 of Torchwood, then?

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Am I to take it you ran through series 1 of Torchwood, then?

Yep I'm current now in so far as I've watched everything from the start. Really enjoying Torchwood :o (and Doctor Who obviously!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Started slowly watching the first season with Matt smith just watched the two parter with the Angels

Didn't anyone ever tell you, there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart? If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... Me.

Quality line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Halfway through season 5 in the re-watch.

I have to say Martha was the worst companion, the character is supposed to be a medical student but is written like a whingy younger version of Rose. Much like Clara when she first appeared the writers don't seem to know how to write her, but Freema doesn't have the charisma of Jenna to cover the gaps.

Tennant was an excellent doctor, but all the "snarly running face" acting just looks ridiculous. The gulf in production values and cinematography between season 4 and 5 is shocking. Season 5 looks like prime time TV, season 4 looks like a cbbc series.

Smith is a fantastic doctor straight off the bat. The Beast Below feels like a S3 episode in naffness and production quality.

Halfway through season 5 in the re-watch.

I have to say Martha was the worst companion, the character is supposed to be a medical student but is written like a whingy younger version of Rose. Much like Clara when she first appeared the writers don't seem to know how to write her, but Freema doesn't have the charisma of Jenna to cover the gaps.

Tennant was an excellent doctor, but all the "snarly running face" acting just looks ridiculous. The gulf in production values and cinematography between season 4 and 5 is shocking. Season 5 looks like prime time TV, season 4 looks like a cbbc series.

Smith is a fantastic doctor straight off the bat. The Beast Below feels like a S3 episode in naffness and production quality.

To be fair that wasn't the production teams fault- they moved from SD to HD between seasons 4 and 5!

I think that makes some of the difference, but the lighting, shot work, set design, direction, all seemed to take a dramatic jump in quality too. I wonder what the difference in budget between the two series was, and what changed on the production end of things. Don't forger S5 had not just new lead actors, but a new show runner and also new producers.

S3/4 had small, bare sets with close-framed shots and unsubtle lighting. There was a pretty clear amount of re-use of sets too. (the "pipework-y industrial building" and "dusty quarry" sets in particular got a lot of re-use. Compare the work done in S5's Hungry Earth double parter or the Venice episode with S3's "End of the universe/Master returns". S3 looks almost like a fan movie in comparison, and that was a big end-of-season finale.

I think that makes some of the difference, but the lighting, shot work, set design, direction, all seemed to take a dramatic jump in quality too. I wonder what the difference in budget between the two series was, and what changed on the production end of things. Don't forger S5 had not just new lead actors, but a new show runner and also new producers.

S3/4 had small, bare sets with close-framed shots and unsubtle lighting. There was a pretty clear amount of re-use of sets too. (the "pipework-y industrial building" and "dusty quarry" sets in particular got a lot of re-use. Compare the work done in S5's Hungry Earth double parter or the Venice episode with S3's "End of the universe/Master returns". S3 looks almost like a fan movie in comparison, and that was a big end-of-season finale.

Not saying you're wrong, you're not, but that's because of the same thing! When you're shooting in HD instead of SD the minimum quality of the set dressing increases because all the little imperfections you used to be able to hide- effectively through artifacting or screen blur- are now painfully visible (as a kid I will never forget how shabby the bridge of the Enterprise D looked in person when they brought it to Ireland).

That's part of why the Tardis gets redone so often these days, as the set gets worn it's way more obvious in HD when it's looking ragged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The series 4 to 5 change was indeed to do with the change to HD however the change midway through Series 7 (downgrade IMO) was because they had moved studio.

Still going with this, & bloody loving it! I'm up as far as the 2009 Easter Special of Doctor Who (still season 4?), and I'm on season 3 of Torchwood (Day 4 tonight). Torchwood has really picked up, I enjoyed it previously but season 3 raises the bar for itself. I'm absolutely dreading when Tennant's end comes about, he's really, really good as the Doctor :o

I was watching series 6 and there's an episode which I never liked before about monsters in the cupboard. On re-watching it's a fantastic episode for a different reason: the posh, well spoken doctor who with his boho chic companion and her solidly middle class husband visiting the set of doctor who series 2.

Rory: "errr... we could have got a bus here" excellently conveys both "why would we come HERE?" and "euuugh, buses"

Myrddin wrote: »
    Still going with this, & bloody loving it! I'm up as far as the 2009 Easter Special of Doctor Who (still season 4?), and I'm on season 3 of Torchwood (Day 4 tonight). Torchwood has really picked up, I enjoyed it previously but season 3 raises the bar for itself. I'm absolutely dreading when Tennant's end comes about, he's really, really good as the Doctor :o

Trust me, you'll be like everyone else, be all ugh-I-don't-like-the-idea-of-a-new-doctor then you'll be all unsure about Matt Smith then suddenly Capaldi will be taking over and you'll realise he was really, REALLY good.

I was watching series 6 and there's an episode which I never liked before about monsters in the cupboard. On re-watching it's a fantastic episode for a different reason: the posh, well spoken doctor who with his boho chic companion and her solidly middle class husband visiting the set of doctor who series 2.

Rory: "errr... we could have got a bus here" excellently conveys both "why would we come HERE?" and "euuugh, buses"

I have found the Moffat era full of one liners you don't notice til 2 or 3 views in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have found the Moffat era full of one liners you don't notice til 2 or 3 views in

Matt Smith tends to trip over them a bit.

There are loads in A Christmas Carol (requested by youngling #1 last week).

I think the Moffat era is great for rewatching. I found the re-watch of Series 1-4 difficult, but once I got to 5, I was loving it.

The stand out episode for me in S6 is The God Complex. On first viewing I thought it was okay, but after rewatching 3 or 4 times I love it. In fact I'd watch it again right now. Lots of thinking in it.

Ugh, season 5...new intro/theme tune :( I found the ending of Tennant's incarnation pretty sad. I'm only one episode into season 5, but Smith seems like he has potential. I gather he's got a season or two is it?

Torchwood: Children of Earth = brilliant. Jack is a charismatic individual, but yet so bloody cold

You're in for a treat.

Check out the interior of the new tardis, it's utterly sumptuous and fascinating compared to the old one. Like a children's playground crossed with a quirky Aladdin's cave curio shop, which keeps the tone of Matt Smith's doctor.

You're in for a treat.

Check out the interior of the new tardis, it's utterly sumptuous and fascinating compared to the old one. Like a children's playground crossed with a quirky Aladdin's cave curio shop, which keeps the tone of Matt Smith's doctor.

You weren't lying, it's really rich & mysterious inside now. Also, Smith himself is quite strong & likeable even at the early stage I'm at in Season 5.

You weren't lying, it's really rich & mysterious inside now. Also, Smith himself is quite strong & likeable even at the early stage I'm at in Season 5.

I waaaay prefer Smith to Tennant in retrospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I just finished the wedding of river song. that was a good season to be fair.

I like it when there's massive story arc over the season.

Love the most recent episode with stormageddon!

I'm not sure I'm quite there (yet), but I can see why you feel this way. Smith, is utterly brilliant as the doctor. I don't know why, but I was dreading his incarnation for no apparent reason. He's been a true delight though, and while Tennant was cool, perhaps he was a bit too cool? Smith is so quirky, with an almost child-like fascination about things, rather than an almost arrogant omnipotence that Tennant's incarnation of the doctor seemed to devleop near his end. I'm about half way through the season, just finished the 'dream lord' episode "Amy's Choice".

By the way, speaking of, I'm liking Amelia too. There isn't a whole lot of substance to her yet, and she seems like she's just white-water rapiding along, but she's good nonetheless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure I'm quite there (yet), but I can see why you feel this way. Smith, is utterly brilliant as the doctor. I don't know why, but I was dreading his incarnation for no apparent reason. He's been a true delight though, and while Tennant was cool, perhaps he was a bit too cool? Smith is so quirky, with an almost child-like fascination about things, rather than an almost arrogant omnipotence that Tennant's incarnation of the doctor seemed to devleop near his end. I'm about half way through the season, just finished the 'dream lord' episode "Amy's Choice".

Looking at his impact, I always get the impression Smith's doctor made the biggest impression on children and the younger members of the audience, and probably for the reasons outlined above. Of the four 'new' incarnations - well, five really with Hurt's portrayal - Smith was the most overtly childlike and silly. That mixture of happy curiousity and daft chaos children seem to adore. And I adored, if I'm being honest :) It must have been a helluva gear shift for kids used to Smith's particular silliness to suddenly have this curmudgeonly crank in charge of the TARDIS

By the way, speaking of, I'm liking Amelia too. There isn't a whole lot of substance to her yet, and she seems like she's just white-water rapiding along, but she's good nonetheless.

For me Tennant was approaching self parody at the end. The whole "I AM A GOD" thing got really old but at the same time the pay off for it felt kinda forced... I don't know. That said, I've loved Who for a long time now and without doubt he's been part of some of my favourite moments in it.

I think part of me preferring Smith is that he got out just before that happened for me with him. He went from new, fresh and funny to confident in his role then he was gone.

On top of that, and I've expounded on this elsewhere, there was a baseline of awful in Tennants era that doesn't appear in Smiths (not saying Smith's didn't have bad episodes- he had some stinkers all right, just no farting aliens and the like that actually embarrassed me in front of friends who gave the show a try) and that has just made the show feel more directed, slick and enjoyable over all for me.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Looking at his impact, I always get the impression Smith's doctor made the biggest impression on children and the younger members of the audience, and probably for the reasons outlined above. Of the four 'new' incarnations - well, five really with Hurt's portrayal - Smith was the most overtly childlike and silly. That mixture of happy curiousity and daft chaos children seem to adore. And I adored, if I'm being honest :) It must have been a helluva gear shift for kids used to Smith's particular silliness to suddenly have this curmudgeonly crank in charge of the TARDIS

Seeing Smith interact with children was always magic. Tennant was great at it too, and although I think Capaldi is more than happy to also from stories I've read, I think the new Doctor's personality keeps him from it too much :(

• Advertisement

Ok, it's official now :o

Advertisement