Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Run through

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

For me Tennant was approaching self parody at the end. The whole "I AM A GOD" thing got really old but at the same time the pay off for it felt kinda forced... I don't know. That said, I've loved Who for a long time now and without doubt he's been part of some of my favourite moments in it.

I was a big fan of how Moffat gently parodied this 'Lonely Angel/Epic Speech' trope throughout Smith's run. Sure, there's the more overt bits where he scripted Tennant to hit overreact when confronted with the bunny in the 50th special, the 'oncoming storm' bit (he'd done simlar with Smith in the Lodger) but there's few more tidbits. Like, whenever 11 pulls out the veiled 'I am a god' shtick, it invariably was either useless or hubris. Stonehenge or The Battle of Demon's Run. Hell, even the Akhaten one saw The Doctor relatively ill-equipped.

I know it's been a matter of much debate as to Moffat's inclination to compicate arcs, but he has truly pulled the odd genius one. The retcon of 10's final line "I don't want to go" from overwrought feels-bait to setting up the Trenzalore stuff was pretty brilliant, and more brilliant was it was still the last words 10 said.

I recall Moffat referenced this intention when interview by Doctor Who magazine before the relaunch, the "The Doctor's at his best when he's the one in the corner say 'no, I'm not letting this happen'."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    [...]

I know it's been a matter of much debate as to Moffat's inclination to compicate arcs, but he has truly pulled the odd genius one. The retcon of 10's final line "I don't want to go" from overwrought feels-bait to setting up the Trenzalore stuff was pretty brilliant, and more brilliant was it was still the last words 10 said.

Ha, I remember the line in the 50th special, but I never made the connection that it might have been a re-working of 10's last lines. I just thought it was a poignant callback to the regeneration scene, but now that you mention it, it does cast those otherwise melodramatic lines in a new light :)

I think Moffat had no choice in parodying the 'lonely god' angle because by the time he took over, that arc had been escalated to near ludicrous levels both emotionally and as a plot device. The doctor had been literally turned into a Messianic figure and if it wasn't Moffat in charge, whoever else it was would have taken the same path. As #11 himself remarked at the end of season 6, he had become 'too noisy' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Angels Take Manhattan -
    Farewell Pond :( I really liked Amelia, & it was such a surprise/emotional ending for her & Rory.
    I've paused at this point now in Season 7, in order to go back & watch the final season of Torchwood.

I've the final episode of Miracle Day to watch tonight, & that's it, Torchwood done. I have to say, this season in particular but the rest too I've really, really enjoyed. Fantastic stuff. I see Barrowman said in Jan or something there's more radio shows of Torchwood coming?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Myrddin wrote: »
    I've the final episode of Miracle Day to watch tonight, & that's it, Torchwood done. I have to say, this season in particular but the rest too I've really, really enjoyed. Fantastic stuff. I see Barrowman said in Jan or something there's more radio shows of Torchwood coming?

I'm not sure about the TW radio shows- but I'm really surprised you enjoyed the first series, whatever about the rest (2 and 3 are v good IMO) I thought that stank to high heaven :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the TW radio shows- but I'm really surprised you enjoyed the first series, whatever about the rest (2 and 3 are v good IMO) I thought that stank to high heaven :D

I think based on what you folks had said about it, I went into season 1 with really, really low expectations. As a result, I found myself thinking it wasn't all that bad (despite it being admittedly ropey in places). Though, I always tend to be somewhat forgiving of first seasons in any show too, so many great shows have had really awful starts!

If Miracle Day's length was cut by maybe 3-4 episodes, I feel it'd be right up beside Children of Earth in terms of quality. It felt like Gwen spent the last 5 episodes jumping back and forth each scene between the US and Wales.

Well, I'm done now with Torchwood :( I know what you mean about the length of Miracle Day, it could have been condensed and focused a little more, but on the whole I'm not complaining too much given it's the end of the shows run :( I thoroughly enjoyed Miracle Day, as I did Children of Earth & Season 2.

I'll get back on track now with Who, resuming with Season 8's Xmas Special - The Snowmen...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, I'm done now with Torchwood :( I know what you mean about the length of Miracle Day, it could have been condensed and focused a little more, but on the whole I'm not complaining too much given it's the end of the shows run :( I thoroughly enjoyed Miracle Day, as I did Children of Earth & Season 2.

I'll get back on track now with Who, resuming with Season 8's Xmas Special - The Snowmen...
    If you can, check out The Sarah Jane Adventures, most fans dismissed it as kiddies fluff but it actually came out with some really mature stories that stand up to anything that Doctor Who was churning out at the time. Examples being "Whatever happened to Sarah Jane " and pretty much anything written by Joseph Lidster.

The 10 and 11 Doctors also turn up in a couple of sweet episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures. If anything, SJA is a sweet call-back to Older Who. It doesn't rely on CGI nearly as much as the main show and Torchwood, so it's got an endearing DIY feel to it. Note: 'DIY' does not equal extra rubber and wobbly walls.

• Advertisement

Where does SJA fit in with the rebooted Who timeline folks?

Begins just after series 2 of Tennant's and runs through 'til just after series 5 of Smith's first season.

Cheers for that. Is that Season 2 of Tennants run meaning Season 3 overall? Is there much crossover, or can they be kinda watched at any stage (barring cameo's)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think based on what you folks had said about it, I went into season 1 with really, really low expectations. As a result, I found myself thinking it wasn't all that bad (despite it being admittedly ropey in places). Though, I always tend to be somewhat forgiving of first seasons in any show too, so many great shows have had really awful starts!

Torchwood season 1 felt like fan-fiction, something written by an adolescent desperately trying to write 'adult' by adding sex & swearing at every available juncture. Season 2 was a huge improvement, not least because that insecurity was dispensed with, and Season 3 / Children of Earth was simply one of the best genre-TV in the last 10 years imo, and what Torchwood should have been from the start. Miracle Day I never finished, I just got very bored of things.

I'm not sure I'd want to see any more Torchwood at this stage, it feels like a partially failed experiment, and not least because the main narrative has moved on from the concept. A proper UNIT show could be brilliant mind you. The mistakes of Torchwood could be taken onboard and another stab at a more adult-oriented spin-off could be the business.

Cheers for that. Is that Season 2 of Tennants run meaning Season 3 overall? Is there much crossover, or can they be kinda watched at any stage (barring cameo's)?

Season 2 on Nu Who, so Tennant's first. I struggled to phrase that properly, sorry. The Doctor's involvement would go well beyond a cameo.

Kicked off Season 8 last night, the Smith era is over :( It was always going to be a tough act to follow Smith's, but Capaldi seems....oddly placed. Granted he's completely new to me, & no doubt he'll grow on me somewhat, but so far it's, odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think smith managed to save the weak episodes of his run because he was just so good in the role. Other doctors haven't always managed that, Tennant came closest. Capaldi is good, and I think Listen is one of the best episodes of all, but without smith's charm to carry it you'll notice the shortcuts more.

However there are fewer ridiculous complicated plot holes in this series then in the likes of s6.

I have to say, I love Strax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Shut-Up
    Girl :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kicked off Season 8 last night, the Smith era is over :( It was always going to be a tough act to follow Smith's, but Capaldi seems....oddly placed. Granted he's completely new to me, & no doubt he'll grow on me somewhat, but so far it's, odd.
    Ditto for me. Initially I wasn't pushed on Smith TBH, but he won me over after a few episodes, I want to like Capaldi(more than I ever did Smith at first), but he's not doing it for me so far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Capaldi is growing on me :) Just finished the Robin Hood episode

I loved P Cap by the end of the series, I won't lie.

So, coming up to the end of Season 8! Capaldi has really grown on me, I like him. He brings something different to the table, the once childlike awe that Smith brought has been replaced with a more prominent and complicated array of anger, pessimism, and near-complacency...wrapped up in an ambiguous and conflicting satisfaction, almost content acceptance of himself and who the doctor is. While Smith was captivating, I do wonder how much longer he could have gone on before even his masterful displays grew tiresome. I think he needed to go, & this darker twist in the doctors persona while starkly different, is refreshing.

So, Season 9. I've avoided the Season 9 thread because of spoilers (said in Rivers voice of course). Is Season 9 complete & finished, or is it only part way through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

So, Season 9. I've avoided the Season 9 thread because of spoilers (said in Rivers voice of course). Is Season 9 complete & finished, or is it only part way through?

Season 9 is filming right now and will be aired round the end of August id say

So, coming up to the end of Season 8! Capaldi has really grown on me, I like him. He brings something different to the table, the once childlike awe that Smith brought has been replaced with a more prominent and complicated array of anger, pessimism, and near-complacency...wrapped up in an ambiguous and conflicting satisfaction, almost content acceptance of himself and who the doctor is. While Smith was captivating, I do wonder how much longer he could have gone on before even his masterful displays grew tiresome. I think he needed to go, & this darker twist in the doctors persona while starkly different, is refreshing.

You should just trust the word of Doom in future :D

Annnnnnd, done. Very good finale I must say.
    I thought what happened to Danny was pretty dark & emotional, especially when he took the cyberman mask off & spoke to Clara :( I'm a bit confused as to the writing though, why did Missy/The Master endeavour to keep the Doctor & Clara together throughout the course of the season, what had that got to do with the overall plan to dominate Earth with cybermen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm hoping it's not the start of another barking mad hopelessly disorganised series long plot arc next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Started re-watching the revived series. Ecclestone really was enjoyable, onto my favourite Doctor, Tennant. Love and Monsters and Fear Her really let down Series 2 imo, I find it a bit of a struggle to re-watch them again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah, I liked Love and Monsters, up until that euch ending at least. I liked the unreliable narrator, and it being meta, and the use of ELO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah fair enough, it just didn't appeal to me at all. Doesn't help that I don't really like Peter Kay though.

Advertisement