Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gut Killer

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's...

I need some advice on a workout routine for combatting a flabby gut.
    I used to exercise all the time for Martial Arts purposes but injury keep me out of the loop and it's been about two years since I done anything.

Needless to say; no exercise and bad diet have expanded me at the waist line. I'm currently rockin a size 36 waist and I really want to drop back down to a 32...

I'm back on the good diet and have re-joined the gym last week, So I need some advice on the workout for getting rid of the gut...

I'm assuming a $hit load of cardio is the way? Treadmill?
    Sit-up's and planking?

Long term goal would be the famous Brad Pitt Fight Club look.....

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's pointless trying to do exercises you think will target your stomach fat. You have to drop overall bodyfat - the body chooses where it comes from and in what order.

Doesn't have to be cardio. More often than not, you'll get better bang for your buck with weight training but there's nothing to say you can't combine both. Interval training (HIIT) for the cardio.

Look into a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts for weight training and get a trainer in the gym to go through the basics of technique for compound lifts like squat, deadlift and bench. They're there to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Cool. Appreciate the advice man.

Have you any links to what you're recommending?

Never really thought about weight training :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If weight training is new to you, then get a trainer in the gym to go through the weights with you and get them to put together a program for you rather than go around aimlessly.

Of course, if weights aren't your thing you might not stick it long term but give it a try. I never thought I'd enjoy weight training but I do.

The key is to find something you enjoy doing.

You're probably used to interval training, shuttle runs, etc from your MA training so you might mix a bit of that in as well.

Advertisement