Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new business

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I am a sport management student looking to start a business over the summer period, Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Stick to what you know its hard enough starting a business let along one in an industry to which you are unfamiliar. Think about what you are good at then work out if you think there is a market or not and then ask yourself what you can do to give people a reason to buy from you rather than existing companies in the area.

Are you planning on starting something for the long term or just something from the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mkearn15

I am starting to think about and come up with new ideas. I am going into my final year in college in september, so i wish to test my entreprenurial skills now with a simple business for the summer months and hopefully i will have the option of becoming a self starter when i finish my degree next summer. Any ideas on what i can do now with little cost? in essence this will be a dry run of what i eventually will pursue

mkearn15 wrote: »
    I am starting to think about and come up with new ideas. I am going into my final year in college in september, so i wish to test my entreprenurial skills now with a simple business for the summer months and hopefully i will have the option of becoming a self starter when i finish my degree next summer. Any ideas on what i can do now with little cost? in essence this will be a dry run of what i eventually will pursue

This doesn't really compute, unless you are talking about selling something seasonal. Setting up a business is a serious undertaking, the reality is anything of any real value can't just be set up and shut down over 3 months. What you need to do is go work for a company in your industry, see what they do, find an angle and prepare for that once you've got your degree.

yes that is what i meant. I would continue to gain experience and run the business throughout my college year and move on to expand it when i am finished college with help from expertise in the field i choose. I can design a simple website, create flyers and use facebook, twitter and word of mouth now, before i grow the business into something more substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

You misunderstood what El Rifle said. He advised you to get a job and learn a bit before you open any business. Good advice because unless you have a particular skill or hobby that can be monetized you will waste your holidays waiting for someone to drop a viable business idea in your lap.

• Advertisement

ok i will create my own idea. It's up to me at the end of the day

i've plenty of jobs before and am passionate about sport so i want to start something in that area after i have researched it thoroughly.

ok i will create my own idea. It's up to me at the end of the day

That's more like it.

In other posts you mentioned setting up a 5 kr 10k run. The whole cuntry is awash with them and thousands are participating. Why not research becoming a personal trainer to newbies interested in this kind of running. Eg.. trains session, fitness levels, advice, schedules.

yes thanks john any other suggestions aswell?

yes thanks john any other suggestions aswell?

The 1st one was free. €50 each after that. I accept PayPal or bit coin. .😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You cant expect people to give you the ideas. You have experience in the area, you say you are passionate about sport. You need to use this knowledge to find your niche or something you see that can be done better. You talk of being a self starter and such, if thats the case then start thinking and writing ideas down on paper and doing some reasearch, dont sit around waiting for someone to drop an idea on your lap - it doesnt work like that. Put your passion you have for sport into everything you do and you will be driven to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

As John says aout the running - there's a massice niche there. My OH is training for half marathon and he'd buy supplements, protein shakes from anyone that knew what they were talking about - but he wont go into Holland and Barrett and get them as he doesn't know enough about what to get or why.
    Paleo and training is also v popular.

i've plenty of jobs before and am passionate about sport so i want to start something in that area after i have researched it thoroughly.

One of the reasons you get a job in the industry you want to go into, is thats where you get your inspiration. Business is not created in general by sitting down and going ok lets start a business whats the ideas! Its pretty ridiculous that your even coming on here asking that. It shows a general naivety and lack of real entrepreneurial spirit. Im not having a go at you just giving you a perspective of someone who has started many businesses good and bad, and know how such things come about. They dont come about the way you are going about it.

Ideas come from getting inspired to do something and that inspiration making you work all the harder to make it happen.

When you work in a place thats where you will see your angles, your niches to establish your new business. You'll see the gaps and the opportunities. Proper inspiration is very important because business is very tough, and an inspired person is less likely to quit when the going gets tough.

ok. Look here's the deal, i only came on here to share my thoughts on starting a new enterprise and get opininons from other users here. I wanted to get different perspectives, which i have now received and am grateful for. I am not going to jump head first into setting up a business without doing substantial research and getting feedback from experts in the industry, groups i can target etc. Your advice has been clear and honest which i appreciate.Thanks. Has anyone else other advice to give me in terms of finance to start?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Generally speaking you will do better on the forum (and on Boards in general), if you go do your own research and show you have done some work yourself, and then come back to ask questions based on what you know and have learned so far.

There is a tonne of general info on finance on the forum and elsewhere online, so best bet is to do some research first and then come back on the bits you want to ask people about.

If it is just a small summer business then finance shouldn't be a major issue. Again, if we knew what direction you planned to go in then we would be better placed to advise on things like finance.

Advertisement