Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pav closing

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Just read the news on Social Media (Twitter and Facebook), the Pavilion has closed!

I'm very sad to hear this, they've put on some quality gigs over the past few years and will be missed a lot in Cork I think. Seems a bit of a shock too, they'd gigs booked for future dates...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Was literally about to start this thread, was there on Saturday night and would head in there for lunch once or twice a week. Terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What?! I always liked the Pav - such a shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dice3344

I genuinely don't know where could be a replacement for the place..

Fingers crossed they're going along the lines of the Brog and it's for publicity. (Have a feeling they wouldn't go that way though- clutching at straws)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No way are they doing what the Bróg did - they wouldn't be that crass (I hope).

I'll be honest, I rarely went to the pub part at night in the last few years because (old woman alert) the music volume was too damn high. Even at 8pm when the place was empty, you could barely hear the person next to you. But it had great gigs, and it's an excellent spot to pass the afternoon with some food and maybe a few drinks. I'm really sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Faith wrote: »
    No way are they doing what the Bróg did - they wouldn't be that crass (I hope).

I'll be honest, I rarely went to the pub part at night in the last few years because (old woman alert) the music volume was too damn high. Even at 8pm when the place was empty, you could barely hear the person next to you. But it had great gigs, and it's an excellent spot to pass the afternoon with some food and maybe a few drinks. I'm really sad to see it go.

I'm the same, if I'm honest, I haven't been there in a while but it is a nice spot and it's a shame it's going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Saturday nights in the bar with Jim Comet were just brilliant. Best music of any pub in the city bar none.

Shame to see a proper venue like this close Always thought the place was doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it is a bloody shame. The management and owners were really helpful to local musicians and film people. A lot of bands were allowed to use the venue as a practice space during the day and a lot of local films were allowed to be shown with no charge for the use of the venue.

it will be a huge miss in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh no I was thinking of that night club down the road at first saying is this a bad thing but yes it is, what a shame.. Are they just gone bust

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

No! Love the Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Pav was a great gig venue, of which there isn't many in town. Sad times, wonder what caused it to happen all of a sudden... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Many a weekend afternoon was spent in there with a pint and a crossword, or the board game nights they hosted. Really saddened for the staff, although they were really friendly and talented folks so I bet they'll get snapped up by other bars soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Some great staff in there alright. Sad to see it going, felt the bar could have done with an ol re-jig, seemed to have lost the crowd from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What the fucck??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Feck, really liked the place. :(

:( Always liked the bar and tomorrow night was gonna be my first time going to a gig in the upstairs part. Shame to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dice3344

Between the bands and djs there'll be a void in the Cork pub scene for a while I think. I remember seeing Quadrophenia in there for the first time a few years ago, upstairs was a great setting for movies too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was a great spot in the 90s,tough to get into though!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Only place that put on good dance music regularly, also super friendly, great gigs and the best Sunday night in town often with amazing live music for free.

It's pretty much the only place I went out in the last year, quite upset about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

ofcork wrote: »
    Was a great spot in the 90s,tough to get into though!

I thought its only been the Pav since 2004 with it being Club Renaissance before that ?

• Advertisement

No was deffo the pav back then,a friend was working on it as it was done up and showed me around before it opened.One of the lads used to have a hard time getting in iirc the lord mayors driver/ex driver was on the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It was The Pav before Renaissance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It was Coopers at one point as well, don't remember the years. Presumably the theatre/cinema was originally called "The Pavilion" so it goes back quite a bit! Only heard recently the Golden-Disks/ex-HMV store was actually the entrance to this theatre.

Opened in 1919 I believe,coopers was only the bar iirc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it was All Bar One after cooper's for a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I presume the rates man struck again...

My best night in there was seeing the Buzzcocks. I bumbled in there Saturday night and feel quite sad it will have been my last time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

cantdecide wrote: »
    I presume the rates man struck again...

My best night in there was seeing the Buzzcocks. I bumbled in there Saturday night and feel quite sad it will have been my last time :(

Rent, rates, the price of drink, cash flow, competition, the rise of the new chain bars, supermarkets, customer habit changes. All these things go can against a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

ah bollocks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

evilivor wrote: »
    the rise of the new chain bars

If they were struggling, I'd say the prospect of Wetherspoons opening next door was a serious blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Faith wrote: »
    If they were struggling, I'd say the prospect of Wetherspoons opening next door was a serious blow.

And they weren't even one of the chains I meant.

Advertisement