Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pav closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Faith wrote: »
    If they were struggling, I'd say the prospect of Wetherspoons opening next door was a serious blow.

Hadn't thought of that but could have had an impact. Think I read they'll be taking up 3 floors or something? Obviously wouldn't have been competing in terms of gigs but would def affect their Saturday trade for instance I'd imagine. Guess that's the downside to competition.

In case people missed it the Samaris gig that was meant to be in the Pav tomorrow night has been moved to the Crane Lane at around 11.pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/271549499695603/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is it definitely closing because of financial problems - or could it have been sold? I don't know what business was like, but it definitely has a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

who_me wrote: »
    Is it definitely closing because of financial problems - or could it have been sold? I don't know what business was like, but it definitely has a lot of potential.

And English story:
    Wetherspoon pub chief attacks Jamie Oliver over claims his Italian restaurants push high street rents up forcing pubs out of business JD Wetherspoon has announced it had closed five pubs in ten weeks Jamie’s Italian comprises of more than 40 restaurants across the UK Tim Martin says chef's restaurants causes rent for other operators to go up

From here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2695575/Wetherspoons-chief-attacks-Jamie-Oliver-claims-Italian-restaurants-push-high-street-rents-forcing-pubs-business.html

Rent rates and Rates wee discussed on the Prendeville Show this am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Faith wrote: »
    If they were struggling, I'd say the prospect of Wetherspoons opening next door was a serious blow.

There's also the possibility that the Newport building being revived would increase footfall in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Was walking past today and overheard a waiter from the place next door mention something about nama were behind it closing. Staff only found out Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dice3344

God, that's tough on the staff.. Hopefully there'll be a few openings in the various new pubs opening around the city.

So Jim x Comet has a dj slot in Goldbergs, Stevie G has his radio show and Fish Go Deep I'm presuming will head to the Savoy for their gigs. Is there anywhere that will take over from them regarding putting on gigs/djs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

dice3344 wrote: »
    God, that's tough on the staff.. Hopefully there'll be a few openings in the various new pubs opening around the city.

So Jim x Comet has a dj slot in Goldbergs, Stevie G has his radio show and Fish Go Deep I'm presuming will head to the Savoy for their gigs. Is there anywhere that will take over from them regarding putting on gigs/djs?

Stevie only has 1 slot a week so I'd imagine he'll kick his djing at the weekends up a few gears, I know he does The Bróg but not sure if he does any where else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Afaik steve g is on red fri,sat and sun nights,article on echo yesterday about the pav ernest cantillon may be interested benny McCabe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

to be honest, I think we have enough pizzas & pitchers places in Cork now.

I think that if the Pav is to be opened by someone else it will be without the venue upstairs. It costs too much to keep that part going and I'd say it was a drag on what was a pretty busy bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

to be honest, I think we have enough pizzas & pitchers places in Cork now.

I think that if the Pav is to be opened by someone else it will be without the venue upstairs. It costs too much to keep that part going and I'd say it was a drag on what was a pretty busy bar.

As a regular club it costs too much, if they use it as just a venue then it's nothing but a revenue generator. Only opening for gigs booked through a promoter. Probably wouldn't even need a late licence for anything but EDM gigs.

I'm not so sure. I imagine the venue is included in the square footage of the entire complex and that doubles the rates charges before you even start. For it to pull it weight you'd need sold out gigs 3 nights a week. Not going to happen in Cork.

ofcork wrote: »
    Afaik steve g is on red fri,sat and sun nights,article on echo yesterday about the pav ernest cantillon may be interested benny McCabe not.

Hadn't spotted that. Wonder is there much to that about Ernest Cantillon being interested. Already has Sober Lane, Electric, Voodoo, Brog, Barborossa. Would be surprised if he took on another venture so soon.

Think I'd nearly prefer the Pav to be left alone rather than someone opening up a bar without any gigs and trading off the name/reputation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hadn't spotted that. Wonder is there much to that about Ernest Cantillon being interested. Already has Sober Lane, Electric, Voodoo, Brog, Barborossa. Would be surprised if he took on another venture so soon.

Think I'd nearly prefer the Pav to be left alone rather than someone opening up a bar without any gigs and trading off the name/reputation of it.

He's working on opening another Sober Lane in Dublin atm so I'm not sure if he'd go for it seeing as he has his hands full, but it'd be great news if it was true because everything he touches seems to turn to gold. Regardless, his Cork businesses are booming.

I agree about someone else opening it. Its current charm is half the reason it has such a loyal customer base and someone else using the name but changing the whole dynamic of the place doesn't sit right with me.

Rent on that lane is apparently huge, two restaurants closed there over the last couple of months because it was just too high. Carey's Lane has had a huge amount of closures over the last couple of months, and the closure of The Pav will reduce footfall, impacting the potential trading of the other businesses. Its really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Rent on that lane is apparently huge, two restaurants closed there over the last couple of months because it was just too high. Carey's Lane has had a huge amount of closures over the last couple of months, and the closure of The Pav will reduce footfall, impacting the potential trading of the other businesses. Its really sad.

Yeah, it's looking a bit bleak now. With the Body Shop gone, the Pav, and the Newport that's a lot of closed up windows on that side of the street. On the plus side, the ex Body Shop unit is adjacent to part of the Pavilion, so if there was anyone ambitious (and with a lot of money to spare) there is potential for an even bigger venue with frontage onto Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Anyone see anywhere taking over from the Pav now that it's gone (don't mean the physical venue itself but a venue which would put on similar amount/style of gigs)?

And kinda related what gig venues are worth checking out in Cork city? Think I know most of them but am I missing any?

Coughlan's,
    Crane Lane,
    Cyprus Avenue,
    Opera House/Half Moon,
    Savoy (not too often it seems),
    Triskel/Gulpd cafe,
    Bowery (Think they mostly used do Sunday gigs but dunno is that still going on)

After that I'm drawing blanks, any ones I'm missing?

Upstairs in the Roundy have gigs from time to time.
    Cork Community Print Shop also have good gigs!

Upstairs in the Roundy have gigs from time to time.
    Cork Community Print Shop also have good gigs!

Knew I'd forgotten some, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Add to that Bradley's on Barrack Street. They regularly have gigs on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

The Sextant have taken over a lot of the dj nights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Every pub/nightclub eventually reaches its natural end. If it happened to Sir Henry's, it can happen to anybody. I remember going to Sweat on Saturday nights during its heyday thinking that its popularity would never decline, and I remember Henry's towards the end when they'd be lucky to get 50 people in the door. The decline of The Pav is merely an inevitable fact of life. Those of us who remember Shandra's, Sir Henry's, The Keg, The Grapevine, Zoe's etc. ain't the least bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Reardens. Minging. Not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The new pizza place is nice, but the rest is the same old cattle mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every pub/nightclub eventually reaches its natural end. If it happened to Sir Henry's, it can happen to anybody. I remember going to Sweat on Saturday nights during its heyday thinking that its popularity would never decline, and I remember Henry's towards the end when they'd be lucky to get 50 people in the door. The decline of The Pav is merely an inevitable fact of life. Those of us who remember Shandra's, Sir Henry's, The Keg, The Grapevine, Zoe's etc. ain't the least bit surprised.

All good things come to an end sometime, but Cork City has turned into a howling wilderness of derelict/vandalised buildings and closed shops/pubs and an unpleasant place to be on a saturday night late. Brings all the ne'er do wells out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What's that new bar opposite the Bodega ?

The only abandoned units I'm seeing in the city centre centre are down to that shopping centre that was going to go into the Capital Cineplex. It included a lot of connected buildings on the Grand Parade and a couple on Patrick's St.

The opposite side of the Grand Parade was supposed to be another big redevelopment.

Both are in NAMA limbo now. I'd rather see them sold off quickly and allow them to get on with development. They're making that part of town look bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What's that new bar opposite the Bodega ?

It's the new Rising Sons brewery. Nice place, actually. Great range of beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Agreed, it's fantastically managed. Shame they use it for evil.

Advertisement