Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pav closing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Upstairs in the Roundy have gigs from time to time.
    Cork Community Print Shop also have good gigs!

Never actually been to Cork Community Print Shop but gonna check it out this weekend for Owensie's gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Add to that Bradley's on Barrack Street. They regularly have gigs on.

I've being hearing that Bradley's are starting to wrap up putting on gigs. Apparently, they are not taking any more bookings and are just going to get through what has already been booked. Shame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I've being hearing that Bradley's are starting to wrap up putting on gigs. Apparently, they are not taking any more bookings and are just going to get through what has already been booked. Shame really.

Is this the Bradley's that was an old man's pub, had the cheapest pint of stout in Cork City, and looked liked a kip from the outside when you walked past it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? :(

I was really excited about what that place was going to become, went to some great metal gigs in there, it was way better than Fred's.
    Is this the Bradley's that was an old man's pub, had the cheapest pint of stout in Cork City, and looked liked a kip from the outside when you walked past it??

That's the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

that was the quinryan a little bit down from bradleys, It looked like it was abandoned from the outside, but lovely inside!

Bradleys was an old mans pub as well tbf.

Ah feck, is that right about Bradley's?

Funny there's a good few pubs opening recently (The Friary, Rising Sons, Goldbergs etc) but gig venues closing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? :(

I was really excited about what that place was going to become, went to some great metal gigs in there, it was way better than Fred's.

Yeah, it was a nice little place and it did manage to put onto some really good gigs. It's a real pity that there are less and less places putting on gigs by bands that are not cover bands.

Haven't been to Cork Community Print Shop yet, but I suppose I'll be checking it out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yeah, it was a nice little place and it did manage to put onto some really good gigs. It's a real pity that there are less and less places putting on gigs by bands that are not cover bands.

Haven't been to Cork Community Print Shop yet, but I suppose I'll be checking it out soon.

I hope those are just rumours, really a nice little venue with something special about it. I liked that they had all kinds of stuff going on. Played there myself once!

I'd be nearly tempted to try open some sort of venue myself, way too many venues where I'm living atm without the level of talent to back it up, and I feel like the opposite is true in Cork-bursting with musical talent, but not enough places where it can be showcased! Not easy to do though.

Not sure if anyone's spotted it but this has been set up be some people who used work in the Pav. There's going to be 2 gig announcements this week. Looking forward to seeing what they are and fair play to them for giving this a go.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernHospitalityBoard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It was a f*cking kip on the inside too. Great pub though. I used to go in there when I was 17 and you could get 8 pints for €20. He also sold naggins of Powers straight over the counter. Bradley was a character like, I was pinting away with him one night and he'd a rake of stories. He lives out in Bishopstown now; I used to deliver milk to him as well.

He was moaning about Tom Barry's no singing rule and was drunk as a lord (he can put them away for a man of his age) declaring there had been "fellas who sung in my place who sung in Carnegie Hall."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This post has been deleted.

They're working on that. They've given a new home to Cork Action League, which used to do board/card games nights in the Pav every other Monday, free pints for game winners and the like. I remember every now and then someone would bring a console to CAL and hook it up to the projector for split-screen multiplayer shenanigans. The Rising Sons has a projector that's just begging for four-way Mariokart. Give it some time, I think they just started with sports because it's a big easy target audience. I bet there'll be table quizzes and other events before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

FTA69 wrote: »
    It was a f*cking kip on the inside too. Great pub though. I used to go in there when I was 17 and you could get 8 pints for €20. He also sold naggins of Powers straight over the counter. Bradley was a character like, I was pinting away with him one night and he'd a rake of stories. He lives out in Bishopstown now; I used to deliver milk to him as well.

He was moaning about Tom Barry's no singing rule and was drunk as a lord (he can put them away for a man of his age) declaring there had been "fellas who sung in my place who sung in Carnegie Hall."

I call shenanigan that any 17 year old could drink 8 pints in a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

gimmick wrote: »

Did it myself many a time when I was that age though admittedly we would have started our nights quite early at 7:30~8pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

gimmick wrote: »

Call it all you want mate. At the age of of 14 I could handily put away three litres of sauce not a bother. By the time I was going to college eight pints wasn't beyond my reach at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

FTA69 wrote: »
    Call it all you want mate. At the age of of 14 I could handily put away three litres of sauce not a bother. By the time I was going to college eight pints wasn't beyond my reach at all.

Sohardcore.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

JohnK wrote: »
    Did it myself many a time when I was that age though admittedly we would have started our nights quite early at 7:30~8pm

Indeed, and on the weekends if not in the pub beofore 6:30 [teatime], one did not have a seat.

Believe me, the figures quoted would be regularly exceeded and doubled at weekends, AND still up for work in the morning.

As I got a little older the effects of drink got worse and hangovers began to be debilitating and non conducive to work.

Advertisement