Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying a little something new

Options
  • 21-07-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This year, so far, I've made a concentrated effort to do new dishes as often as I can. I started by adding one new dish to my repertoire each month*. Some have joined the list for repeat use, some haven't, but I'm interested in whether I'm being too conservative. How often do you accomplished chefs change around your meals and try something brand new?

And related, when you add a new dish, is it because it's something you've tried elsewhere and liked, or is it reading a recipe and thinking 'hmm, sounds alright'?

* I say one per month, but the new dish is generally the first one to go if I have to reorganise my plans. According to my notes, I've actually done 4 new dishes this year so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

:eek:

Personally, I'd rarely cook the same thing twice. I suppose I have things that I'd cook a lot of and keep in the freezer - for instance I have about ten portions of ratatouille in the freezer at the moment.

I might occasionally get a longing for 'comfort' food - like roast chicken with all the trimmings, or Cottage Pie that I'd freeze portions of. But on the whole it would be a new dish every two or three days. I might use the same kind of ingredients for a few weeks - usually whatever is in season (aubergines for the last few weeks) and then I probably wouldn't eat it again until next year, when I'd look up new and interesting recipes that I'd never had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

A brand new dish every 2-3 days?! Maybe I'm just a picky eater; once I find something I like, I will cook it 2-3 times a year at least. That didn't seem like too much repetition to me, but I doubt you're the only one with an :eek: face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

LOL, I am so sorry! I wrote that post and then went off thinking 'what on earth is wrong with me? I have no commitment....':(

I live alone so have only myself to please; love cooking; am easily bored and just like to experiment. I am sure that you are the normal one, not me and I am sorry if I made you feel inadequate with your new dishes this year - I really didn't mean to!

The perfect cook is probably a combination of us both!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Animord wrote: »
    LOL, I am so sorry! I wrote that post and then went off thinking 'what on earth is wrong with me? I have no commitment....':(

I live alone so have only myself to please; love cooking; am easily bored and just like to experiment. I am sure that you are the normal one, not me and I am sorry if I made you feel inadequate with your new dishes this year - I really didn't mean to!

The perfect cook is probably a combination of us both!

I just create when I feel like it. Some weeks I might do three or four new dishes other times I might do one or two a month.

It's the nice thing about cooking - please yourself and eat well. :)

Advertisement