Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fear I may be at risk at having my betting account closed. Any advice?

• 21-07-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I've seen a few threads on here about betting accounts being closed, but they don't seem to answer the specific questions I have about my own situation. Apologies if some of these questions have already actually been answered multiple times.

I've had a online betting account with one of the big bookies for probably 10 years. Mostly bets on English/European football, but I'd have a flutter on all sports quite regularly. Never tried to bash the bookies with a system, just tried to assess each event and use my sporting knowledge to see if I could win for the craic. I'd maybe stake 25/50 quid per event and sometimes bigger wedges like 100 or 200 if I felt confident. End result was sometimes I won big, sometimes I lost big, so I was definitely a mediocre low risk punter from the bookies perspective and betted for fun as much as anything.

However last year my wife and I moved house and we have been very tight financially since. I stopped the casual gambling and put time into exploring ways of ensuring more consistent profit. I started following horse tipsters on twitter and over time I've started to tell the good from the bad and begun to make long term profit from daily singles and the odd Trixie etc. I then tried a new approach where I would place small stake trebles across all my daily selections. It started paying off quickly. I now put a euro per treble on about 14 selections which costs about 364 for the total stake. On a bad day I lose it all, but I frequently win over a grand, and a couple of times over 2k if about 4 or 5 winners come in. I think it's not impossible that I may get a return of over 10k if I have a really good day but it hasn't happened yet.

It's only recently I became aware of the possibility that my account could be closed if I make too much profit. I spoke with someone on twitter and they advised me that I should deliberately place bets that I'd expect would lose for fun and I've been doing that in recent weeks. However I'm probably still about 7 or 8k in profit since the start of June. I've withdrawn about 5k to pay off some debt and I'm still playing with about 3k.

Does the above sound like a situation where I'll see my account closed soon if I keep making profit in the way I have been doing (maybe on average 3k a month)?

Is the fact I have the account 10 years buying me a little extra time as they think I'm just on a lucky streak?

If I open accounts with other bookies will they shut me down quickly if I try to replicate the same approach because I will be too profitable too soon?

Is my casual betting approach outside of the trebles doing anything at all to mask the profitability of the trebles?

How profitable can you be per month without drawing attention to yourself?

Is it better to withdraw regular small amounts, occasional large amounts, or withdraw it all but make immediate and regular deposits?

Should I look to play these trebles at 10c across 10 bookies per day instead of 1 euro at 1 bookie? This would be time consuming but I'd do it if it meant I could continue to make the type of overall profit I'm seeing?

Should I look to play the trebles across a different bookie each day so the long term profit is more gradual?

I sometimes see people posting online betting receipts where they placed 5,000 on some market. How do these people not have their account closed if they are placing these types of sums?

I appreciate there are a number of questions being asked there so it would be time consuming to respond to every one, but all advice and opinions on any of the questions are welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

open more accounts with other books. if you keep winning those bets its just a matter of time before you are reduced to peanuts. especially if its with someone like pp. i cant win more than 10 euro per event with them. been limited to 1% for a few yrs now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

For curiosity, could you post the twitter names of your recommended tipsters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

It's often not about profit you make but about continually beating the Sp , I think a book would be more concerned if you where doing this. You are taking 14 horses at the same bookie so I doubt you are even getting best price on each selection. Tbh only going on what I have read here in your post if I was a bookie I would happily lay your bets. Just because you are up 8k since June doesn't mean you are betting on value selections or beating the SP its a small sample size , large stake 364 a day and not a huge profit.

I would be more concerned that you don't lose all your money with this system than been limited or closed tbh. I'm not doubting you have made profit but i'm a bit weary of Twitter tipsters and why these guys are giving free horse racing tips. How quick are you getting the tips? Are you getting the recommended price tipped at ( I would guess not here as you are only using one bookie) if you are taking 8/1 on a horse and its 10/1 on another site but you don't have that site you are likely just been lucky and will lose long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Yeah you won't be closed betting 364 quid a day on a head of trebles. Bookies will lay these bets all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

As already stated, you shouldn't be closed for backing Trebles even if you are making money from them but you will be restricted if you are beating
    SP on a lot of the selections.
    There are a few (BIG) bookies around who will close your account after
    a run of successful bets.
    Nothing you can do about it, just move on and open another account.
    Don't forget you can always open an account in the OH name
    (not sure if that's a runner or not for you).

• Advertisement
Advertisement