Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaying Credit Card to Increase Limit

Options
  • 21-07-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hello. I have a credit card with Ulster Bank. It has limit of €800. I am renting a car with my nephew in Galway for a few days and they say they will need to block €1000 on the card. I am just wondering if I prepay my credit card by say €400 will that mean that they will be able to block it (effectively increasing my limit to €1200?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Maybe ask the bank to increase your limit.

Generally if you have the card a while, there is no issue with this for small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Obviously I have thought about increasing the limit.

Just wondering if anyone has a more helpful answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well there is not an awful lot to answer with:

800EUR limit + 400 EUR = 1200 EUR to spend :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

BuffyBot wrote: »

Woah, slow down a minute!

+400
    _____

Okay, I get it now. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

userod wrote: »
    Hello. I have a credit card with Ulster Bank. It has limit of €800. I am renting a car with my nephew in Galway for a few days and they say they will need to block €1000 on the card. I am just wondering if I prepay my credit card by say €400 will that mean that they will be able to block it (effectively increasing my limit to €1200?)

Please be aware (depending on your card issuer) there is a risk to having your card in credit, generally your card has some fraud protection, but only to the credit limit.

So for Example, if you Credit limit was €800, and you extended this with a €400 'deposit' and you were scammed €1,100, the bank might only give you the €800 back.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »

Woah, slow down a minute!

+400
    _____

Okay, I get it now. Cheers!

Thanks for replies, even if they were sarcastic.

But I was worried the limit was also considered like a 'transaction limit'. So even if I had €50k pre paid on the credit card, transactions over my €800 limit will decline?

Please be aware (depending on your card issuer) there is a risk to having your card in credit, generally your card has some fraud protection, but only to the credit limit.

So for Example, if you Credit limit was €800, and you extended this with a €400 'deposit' and you were scammed €1,100, the bank might only give you the €800 back.

I am not worried about the risk of being scammed against so much (they are a reputable car rental agency). My main worry is if the single transaction for greater than my limit will approve assuming I have the funds available on my card. Thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The €1000 is obviously to cover the excess. Can you not just insure against it? Only €3 a day...

homer911 wrote: »
    The €1000 is obviously to cover the excess. Can you not just insure against it? Only €3 a day...
    a) it is €18 per day.
    b) No. I dont want to buy that product thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

a) it is €18 per day.
    b) No. I dont want to buy that product thanks anyway

If you insure sepeeately (not with car renter, with third party) it's a lot cheaper.

Still need the high card limit though. Do you have a debit card.

• Advertisement

3DataModem wrote: »
    If you insure sepeeately (not with car renter, with third party) it's a lot cheaper.

Still need the high card limit though. Do you have a debit card.

Yep I have a debit card but don't think they take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭guscon

I have a CC with ulster bank. Preloaded with 1500 to make a big purchase. Guess what?
    Purchase was declined because my limit was 1000, they said even if preloaded I can only still spend my limit in one go. You need to ring them to clarify. This happened june 2013.

Advertisement