Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance price for full EU licence vs Irish licence

Options
  • 21-07-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

As a french citizen living and driving / cycling in Ireland for 8 years I wonder why wherever I look for car insurance I have to pay more only for the fact that my license wasn't delivered by Ireland. I have had no claim (other than my car being broken into 4 years ago), I drive a normal car, I hold my licence for 10 years, I was a named driver in France and never had a claim there either, I am over 25 and I can see my insurance still costs an additional couple of hundred euros higher than if I was holding an Irish license.

Is there any particular reason or just a way for insurance to get more money whenever they can?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Blame Thierry Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Some companies justify this with the claim that experience driving on the "wrong side of the road" does not count, but then they do not give discount For Japanese/Singaporean drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Penalty points can't be added to an eu licence either which is a factor too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jimin

I had the same issue (although I am Irish) and here is the reply I got today from the European Commission's independent advice agency ECAS:

From our point of view, this indeed contravenes the principle of non-discrimination which is a fundamental right under EU law. Following article 2 of the Directive 2006/126/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 on driving licences, driving licences issued by Member States must indeed be mutually recognized. Thus, your car insurance company should recognize your Belgian license as if it were an Irish one. The rules on driving licences facilitate the free movement of persons taking up residence in a Member State other than the one issuing the licence. Thus, it would be discriminatory if your insurance would add an extra 95 EUR only because you have a Belgian driving license.
    However, please note that you will have to prove that there is discrimination. In other words, it is only if your insurance has put in writing that it was adding an extra 95 euro because of your Belgian driving license that you will be able to sue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

If you exchange your French licence you will not lose your driving history, meaning the start date of your categories (over ten years ago) will be shown on the licence. If you are living here for 8 years, it would make sense to exchange it.
    taille60 wrote: »
    Hi,

As a french citizen living and driving / cycling in Ireland for 8 years I wonder why wherever I look for car insurance I have to pay more only for the fact that my license wasn't delivered by Ireland. I have had no claim (other than my car being broken into 4 years ago), I drive a normal car, I hold my licence for 10 years, I was a named driver in France and never had a claim there either, I am over 25 and I can see my insurance still costs an additional couple of hundred euros higher than if I was holding an Irish license.

Is there any particular reason or just a way for insurance to get more money whenever they can?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Vologda69 wrote: »
    If you are living here for 8 years, it would make sense to exchange it.

No it wouldn't. Hang on to it for as long as you can, they can't put points on your foreign licence, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taille60

roadsmart wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. Hang on to it for as long as you can, they can't put points on your foreign licence, yet.

Yeah besides the time and price needed to convert the license, I have got fines with points 4-5 years ago which will get valid when I get an Irish license (I was hoping that after 3 years they get forgotten). The RSA itself told me I shouldn't convert my license for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 taille60

This was exactly my reaction to them and they said that in theory that could happen but there could be exceptions if the points are very old. I guess it's a case by case process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

You may not get points on your foreign license, but they do keep them warm, and as far as I understand, you may get problems with your insurance if you know you have points and withhold that info from your insurer. Dunno if it actually invalidates your insurance, wouldn't want to find out, either.

Also, at least for Germany, they can check your insurance history, as German insurers issue an international form that proves your claims status.

I wouldn't exchange the license as here you have to renew every few years (cost!) whereas mine is valid indefinitely, also I think the categories are slightly different, on my license I'm still allowed to drive trucks up yo 7.5 tons, not sure if there's an Irish equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

galah wrote: »
    You may not get points on your foreign license, but they do keep them warm, and as far as I understand, you may get problems with your insurance if you know you have points and withhold that info from your insurer. Dunno if it actually invalidates your insurance, wouldn't want to find out, either.

Also, at least for Germany, they can check your insurance history, as German insurers issue an international form that proves your claims status.

I wouldn't exchange the license as here you have to renew every few years (cost!) whereas mine is valid indefinitely, also I think the categories are slightly different, on my license I'm still allowed to drive trucks up yo 7.5 tons, not sure if there's an Irish equivalent
    I have a Uk license,was delighted to see that it covered for the c category (up to 71/2 ton)when I was going to buy a 7 1/2 tonner.
    You think that they could recind this if I was to change to an irish/EU license?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, back on topic. If you want to discuss licence categories and what you can/can't do on them, I'd suggest starting a thread in Motors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Points over 3 years old are not taken into account. NDLS will confirm that for you

taille60 wrote: »
    Yeah besides the time and price needed to convert the license, I have got fines with points 4-5 years ago which will get valid when I get an Irish license (I was hoping that after 3 years they get forgotten). The RSA itself told me I shouldn't convert my license for this reason.

Advertisement