Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

JoyPad wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to XBox, and haven't opened my son's Christmas present (Xbox One 1TB). From what I understand, the console comes with a chat headset, and game audio plays through the TV speakers.
    What do I need to buy for him to enjoy game audio in headphones/headset, and what would be my cheapest option?

I'm not stingy, but he breaks a pair of headphones every 30-60 days, so I can't buy him expensive stuff. Right now, I got him these simple over-the-year headphones in Harvey Norman for €10, but there's no microphone.

Any help appreciated.

For the moment I highly advice you to carefully open the box, assemble the Xbox and download console updates, install any games that came with it and then package it up again.

This will ensure everything goes perfectly on Christmas morning and you don't have a child looking at updates and game install progress bars.

Regarding audio, what age is your son? Will he be chatting on Xbox Live with other members?
    It will determine what we can recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Any recommendations for earphones that will fit over the ear? I currently use standard Seinheissers as only just got back into Xbox but now looking for something more comfortable, good sound/mic. Will be mainly using it for Hal and similar games if that helps.

I dont want to spend too much, maybe £50 max.

cheers

frAg

frag420 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for earphones that will fit over the ear? I currently use standard Seinheissers as only just got back into Xbox but now looking for something more comfortable, good sound/mic. Will be mainly using it for Hal and similar games if that helps.

I dont want to spend too much, maybe £50 max.

cheers

frAg

With your budget the Turtle Beach XO1 is a great purchase.

€50 in Argos.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2889298/Trail/searchtext%3ETURTLE+BEACH+.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

For the moment I highly advice you to carefully open the box, assemble the Xbox and download console updates, install any games that came with it and then package it up again.

This will ensure everything goes perfectly on Christmas morning and you don't have a child looking at updates and game install progress bars.

That is very sensible, but I'm not sure when I will be able to do that without his knowledge.
    Regarding audio, what age is your son? Will he be chatting on Xbox Live with other members?

He's 11, going on 12. He wanted GTA5, but he's not getting it. I got him the LEGO Dimensions game, might also give him the Halo 5 that came with the console (despite being rated 16), and, most importantly, he will want Minecraft, which he currently plays on his computer. From what I understand, he won't be able to chat with other players using a keyboard, like he currently does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I know nothing about headsets, but I can't recommend advice this enough. Almost certainly, there'll be a console update, around 1 GB in size, and then any games that you get in the box might be download codes only, so they can range for 15 GB up to 40 or even 50GB.

Then there's updates for any games that do come on disk, which range into the GBs as well.

If your broadband isn't great, then this can take ages. You could bring the Xbox to a friends house with better broadband if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CatInABox wrote: »
    I know nothing about headsets, but I can't recommend advice this enough. Almost certainly, there'll be a console update, around 1 GB in size, and then any games that you get in the box might be download codes only, so they can range for 15 GB up to 40 or even 50GB.

Then there's updates for any games that do come on disk, which range into the GBs as well.

If your broadband isn't great, then this can take ages. You could bring the Xbox to a friends house with better broadband if that's the case.

If your downloading games make sure you do not log into your sons Gamertag as he will get a notification that he has just got the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

That is very sensible, but I'm not sure when I will be able to do that without his knowledge.

He's 11, going on 12. He wanted GTA5, but he's not getting it. I got him the LEGO Dimensions game, might also give him the Halo 5 that came with the console (despite being rated 16), and, most importantly, he will want Minecraft, which he currently plays on his computer. From what I understand, he won't be able to chat with other players using a keyboard, like he currently does.

I think, I am not sure as I havent really looked for it, that you can get a sort of mini keyboard like you could with the 360 that attaches to your controller and you can use that to send messages or I would assume also chat in Minecraft but most people tend to chat via the headphones than that.

Halo would be a good choice. IMO it's perfectly fine for a 11/12 yr old.

He won't have the ability to use type chat since it isn't a feature on consoles. Xbox have just built a text chat into their party system only it's not as simple or effective as type chat on the PC.

if you don't want him to use the voice chat I believe it can be turned off via parental controls.

Xbox recently released a new controller with a 3.5mm Jack. This is handy because if you have it you can use any standard headset which is great when on a budget.

What many of us regulars have done is take our controller to CEX and trade it for cash €30 something at the moment and then buy the new controller in Argos on special for €45.

Next option is the stereo adapter €25. This lets you hook in any ear phones like the controller above. It's for the orginal controller which by the sound of things you may have. Look at the base of the controller. If you do not see a regular headphone 3.5mm port it's an orginal controller.

You may have a music headset about the house that will work with either option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

frag420 wrote: »

I picked up one of these in Argos last night after recommendations here (for my 10 year old). I had a quick look at it - looks quite sturdy and I believe Turtle Beach are a good brand.

Very few left in Argos at this price though. I got the last one in the Pavilions, Swords and nearest to that with stock was Ashbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Xbox recently released a new controller with a 3.5mm Jack. This is handy because if you have it you can use any standard headset which is great when on a budget.

What many of us regulars have done is take our controller to CEX and trade it for cash €30 something at the moment and then buy the new controller in Argos on special for €45.

I've opened the box, and the update is downloading as I type this. The controller that came with the console has a 3.5mm jack next to the chat headset port. NOTE: this is the Argos 1TB console that was on offer for €350 for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've opened the box, and the update is downloading as I type this. The controller that came with the console has a 3.5mm jack next to the chat headset port. NOTE: this is the Argos 1TB console that was on offer for €350 for a while.

cool,
    you'll be able to use most earphones that come with mobile phones so.

Lads, just been to PC World in Blanch and seen these, read the box and they will work on PS4 and Xbox One.
    Almost wish I didn't have mine so I could get them
    http://imgur.com/iSIwyGk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'll get me coat quickly after someone answers this...

Have plugged my turtle beach into my 360 via the cable with red and white lugs into another cable with red and white, with blue at the other end. Where does this end go? I've it plugged into the head phones port on the t.v, can see the headset icon in the games rooms, icon changes colour when I talk,but not sure if the can hear me. Should this go into the Xbox itself?

I've no Santa as I'm 43, and recently pulled the trigger on a bike upgrade, so won't be getting an XB1 past the wife. Unless the 4 year old asks for one...

Have plugged my turtle beach into my 360 via the cable with red and white lugs into another cable with red and white, with blue at the other end. Where does this end go? I've it plugged into the head phones port on the t.v, can see the headset icon in the games rooms, icon changes colour when I talk,but not sure if the can hear me. Should this go into the Xbox itself?

I've no Santa as I'm 43, and recently pulled the trigger on a bike upgrade, so won't be getting an XB1 past the wife. Unless the 4 year old asks for one...

Go to the the TurtleBeach website and look for your model. They will have instructions there.

Try recording a voice message and see if you can hear it when you play it back

Try recording a voice message and see if you can hear it when you play it back

Hat tip
    That worked!

Hat tip
    That worked!

Cool, it's just that your headset doesn't have Mic monitoring (or its not turned on) it lets you hear your own voice through your earphones so you're not shouting like a madman cause you think people can't hear you.

Cool, it's just that your headset doesn't have Mic monitoring (or its not turned on) it lets you hear your own voice through your earphones so you're not shouting like a madman cause you think people can't hear you.

im getting plenty of abuse about being the worst sniper ever; was worried they weren't hearing me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Sister wants to get a headset for her 10year old, any recommendations? Nothing to fancy.

Xbox one.

• Advertisement

Sister wants to get a headset for her 10year old, any recommendations? Nothing to fancy.

Xbox one or Xbox 360 ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Xbox one or Xbox 360 ?

One.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

One.

on offer for €50

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2889298/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|14419738/c_2/3|cat_19780877|Headsets|28081695.htm

ok entry level headset

includes the chat adapter.

the headset just plugs into the controller

dunworth1 wrote: »
    on offer for €50

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2889298/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|14419738/c_2/3|cat_19780877|Headsets|28081695.htm

ok entry level headset

includes the chat adapter.

the headset just plugs into the controller

Excuse the ignorance cause I never use a headset personally but is this type of one just to chat with other people or can the games sounds be picked up on it as well or how does it work?

Excuse the ignorance cause I never use a headset personally but is this type of one just to chat with other people or can the games sounds be picked up on it as well or how does it work?

You can talk to people and hear game audio through these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

It does both game audio and chat

It all works through the controller for both game sounds and chat no long cable to the tv needed

Is it possible to use a Xbox 360 Bluetooth headset with the xb1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hi guys i am looking at getting a wireless headset that all the you know volume from the TV will come trow the headset i am wondering whats the best headset for this ?.

Hi,
    Go to this link, there is info on headsets there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97836794#post97836794

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MOD NOTE:

Headset threads merged

CIAB

Advertisement