Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ibFoxer wrote: »
    For what it's worth I got the 420x recently and I can't fault them. Could be a cheaper option than the above two?

nah the cost isn't a problem, I'm getting a refund for the a50s and the a50s are more expensive than the 800x.

For what it's worth the A50s are awesome when they work. For me it was a shame that they didn't work often enough and they had this insane design flaw where you can't hard reset them and have to wait for the battery to drain every time they freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

awec wrote: »
    The mic is the only thing that is making me not certain of buying them. The 500x look really good too, though I like the idea of the noise cancelling and the bluetooth on the 800x.

Just how bad is it?

Is there much difference sound quality wise between the 500 and the 800?

personally I couldnt use a headset without mic monitoring, its too easy to get all shouty without it.
    I've only 3 flaws with the 500's

1. the material on the cans themselves is a kind of cloth mesh as opposed to that fake leather stuff, the mrs has commented that she can hear a lot more sound bleeding through than my older cheaper set.
    2. one of the buttons on the side of the headset is kind of loose, and if you turn your head quickly you can hear it rattle - its done this since day 1.
    3. the audio preset / chat mute etc - on another headset I had, when you changed the profile a burly american would say 'preset 1, 2,' but now its all a series of beeps. no big deal but I'd prefer the old way.

havent tried the 800's, but the sound quality on the 5's is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

as a matter of interest - how do you judge the mic quality? any time we've been in a party you sound crystal clear to me? do you just make a skype call to the test service or soemthing?
    Feedback from the guys in party chat. Also before you send an Xbox voice message you can play the recorded audio back to test it. Strangely enough the mic quality in Skype is perfect.

With the 800x being wireless I noticed the mic quality improved when I moved the base station a little bit away from the router.

The mic is the only thing that is making me not certain of buying them. The 500x look really good too, though I like the idea of the noise cancelling and the bluetooth on the 800x.

Just how bad is it?

Is there much difference sound quality wise between the 500 and the 800?

You can always join me in party chat to hear its quality. The mic monitoring is quiet compared to the 500X. I like that I can take a phone call while in a gaming session and it instantly mutes my mic in game/party chat and when the call ends it unmutes me and returns the game sound to a normal volume.

Feedback from the guys in party chat. Also before you send an Xbox voice message you can play the recorded audio back to test it. Strangely enough the mic quality in Skype is perfect.

With the 800x being wireless I noticed the mic quality improved when I moved the base station a little bit away from the router.

you'd be amazed what can be sorted by just altering the position of your mic, too close and you sound like a telephone pervert and too far away and no one can hear you.

people are often too polite to tell others if the sound is off as well, its a 2 second fix.

microphone_handling_big.jpg

• Advertisement

You can always join me in party chat to hear its quality. The mic monitoring is quiet compared to the 500X. I like that I can take a phone call while in a gaming session and it instantly mutes my mic in game/party chat and when the call ends it unmutes me and returns the game sound to a normal volume.

Does it sound muffled or anything?

If you had known the mic quality before you bought them would you have still purchased?

Does it sound muffled or anything?

If you had known the mic quality before you bought them would you have still purchased?
    I don't think it sounds muffled, it sounds like its needs an audio gain to boost the volume of my voice.

I did know the mic was an issue when I bought it. When I say issue I mean I knew it wasn't going to be has crystal clear as my previous headset mic.

I bought mine during the black Friday sales for €220 so I was getting it at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Did you try flashing new firmware?

[url=
    This just happened to be on reddit yesterday

maximoose wrote: »
    Did you try flashing new firmware?

[url=
    This just happened to be on reddit yesterday

I haven't updated my software since I got it, too much of a hassle to go pulling it out of the entertainment centre to connect the two usb leads. A job for the long weekend maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

nah the cost isn't a problem, I'm getting a refund for the a50s and the a50s are more expensive than the 800x.

For what it's worth the A50s are awesome when they work. For me it was a shame that they didn't work often enough and they had this insane design flaw where you can't hard reset them and have to wait for the battery to drain every time they freeze.
    Would you not go for another set of 50s? Honestly think you will be really disappointed in the difference between Astro and tb
    I had a set of the 500 model and the difference in sound was massive, Astros were head and shoulders above,
    The ease of use between ps4/Xbox is another great point for the Astros, just need a digital splitter to change between systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

+10000

I got rid of the 800x to get the A50's back after selling my old pair on Adverts. Far superior product

No, won't consider it. Experience with my astros was just too poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I changed from the 500x to A50s both are good the A50s are a bit heaver on your head then the 500x

Sound quality is good on both maybe slightly better on the A50s possibly due to the ear cuffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Son got XB1 500gb FIFA16 pack from Argos on Saturday with his Communion money.

Should there not be a basic headset in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kleefarr wrote: »

Not all the SKU have them bundled anymore. Check the back of the box.

If the controller has a headphone port(3.5mm/2.5mm) you can plug any earphones in. My Samsung ones work but not my apple earbuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah seems like only the 1tb bundle comes with the headset in Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

kleefarr wrote: »

Includes - xbox one console with 500gb hard drive, fifa 16 (digital), 1 month ea access, 3 x fifa ultimate team loan legends (dlc), wireless controller with 3.5mm headset jack, hdmi cable, power supply, 14-day xbox live gold membership.

^^ no headset with the new controllers, but you can plug any old set of headphones+mic in there, even those 2 euro phone ones with the inline mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

tripperman wrote:
    hi guys looking at getting new headset since the mic on my day one headset gave up over the weekend, can any one recommend any good ones, I'm looking at these two any opinion's?

I've got the Tb StarWars version which is basically the recon rebranded.
    While the sound is ok from them the lack of padding on the headband makes the top of my head hurt after a while.

The xo ones are a nice set lots recommend them here

What's your budget? Do you want total wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I've got the Tb StarWars version which is basically the recon rebranded.
    While the sound is ok from them the lack of padding on the headband makes the top of my head hurt after a while.

The xo ones are a nice set lots recommend them here

What's your budget? Do you want total wireless?

I would say about 70 to 80 is the budget, does wireless make a difference?? I haven't a clue about tb just seen them on argos and gamestop,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

JoyPad wrote: »
    I can confirm that the new controller can take "regular" headsets. I've initially used the one that came with my Samsung phone, then later bought a cheap gaming headset from Currys, because I can't stand the in-ear thingies.

My son once complained about not being heard by his friend(s). He is using a Turtle Beach headset, so this issue is not necessarily related to the controller or headset, but rather something else. I'm not sure how he fixed the issue, but he did that on his own.

can i ask on this, do you get voice chat only or all the sound from the game?

i play on my laptop quite a bit, streaming from the xbox. not sure if i can use the mic in the laptop with headphones, or the mic on the headphones, to get both game audio and chat.

anyone know, or can suggest an option that would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mossym wrote: »
    can i ask on this, do you get voice chat only or all the sound from the game?

i play on my laptop quite a bit, streaming from the xbox. not sure if i can use the mic in the laptop with headphones, or the mic on the headphones, to get both game audio and chat.

anyone know, or can suggest an option that would work?

You get all the sound.

No idea about streaming though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Kingston HyperX have broken into the console market.

It seems to be based on the ever classic Cloud 1's: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-Mobile/dp/B00JJNQG98/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466042494&sr=8-2&keywords=hyperx+cloud

"HyperX CloudX™ Pro Gaming Headset is designed for Xbox and tested and approved by Microsoft. It works with the Xbox Elite Wireless controller and other Xbox One controllers with a 3.5mm stereo headset jack and provides connectivity from the headset to console and mobile devices1. With additional Windows compatibility, it comes with a 2M PC extension cable with stereo and mic plugs. HyperX CloudX features immersive in-game audio so you can lose yourself in the game while you’re winning."

http://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/headsets/cloudx/hx-hscx-sr

I have the Cloud II's a few months now and absolutely love them. They have completely replaced my wireless Turtle Beaches as my go to headset!

While that looks nice I'm interested in what's coming in a few months with the new controller with Bluetooth will there be new wireless headsets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

dunworth1 wrote: »
    While that looks nice I'm interested in what's coming in a few months with the new controller with Bluetooth will there be new wireless headsets released.

I don't think that will work. The controller will be a Bluetooth slave, to connect to a PC. A bluetooth headset is also a slave, and can only connect to a master.
    The controller will not be able to act as both master (for the headset) and slave (to the PC), unless they put two bluetooth modules in it.

It would be possible, in theory, to have a controller connected to the XBox via the proprietary radio protocol, and also act as BT master for a headset. Remains to be seen if they will actually give it this flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

So, daughter going crazy...
    Cannot get the px24 to work on her xbox one.
    Bought the chat adapter from Microsoft no joy.
    Anyone any ideas? I've been on you tube and Google.
    Head is wrecked, any ideas much appreciated

Anyone any ideas why I cannot get a turtle beech px24 to work on xbox one? I'm losing the will to live with a very cranky teenager 😣

Anyone any ideas why I cannot get a turtle beech px24 to work on xbox one? I'm losing the will to live with a very cranky teenager 😣
    When you say it wont work does that mean you can't hear in game sound or is it an issue with the chat?

Manual is here https://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830517758/

There is a switch on the amp you need to set to xbox for a start.

Also you may have to update the firmware on the controller.

• Advertisement

Manual is here https://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830517758/

There is a switch on the amp you need to set to xbox for a start.

Also you may have to update the firmware on the controller.

Thanks, tried all that already still no joy. Works with everything but xbox 😣

Advertisement