Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

astro A50's are reduced to €212 at argos

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...EASTRO+A50.htm

stock is low, but a few of the lads have reserved some in cork if anyone on here needs a code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

stock is low, but a few of the lads have reserved some in cork if anyone on here needs a code.

I got the PS4 pair. Theyre amazing if anyone is thinking of getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is that the a50 headset that comes with a charging stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I also have a reservation valid until tomorrow night for portlaoise if anyone wants it

Is that the a50 headset that comes with a charging stand?

Yes. That's them.

• Advertisement

I also have a reservation valid until tomorrow night for portlaoise if anyone wants it

Is it an Xbox one headset? If yes I'll take it if you don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Is it an Xbox one headset? If yes I'll take it if you don't mind

Already passed onto someone else, sorry dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

That's only for the Xbox set. The PS4 pair are 309.99. It's a large discrepancy between them. More than likely it's a pricing error considering the PS4 SKU price so fair play to whoever grabs a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm going to throw something out which may influence a perspective buyers decision, and i must preempt it by saying i haven't heard it firsthand, and have only had a few hours experience- the voice quality in Xbl party chat is not spectacular. That's not to say it's terrible, but it appears to sound, at least from some of the other lads opinions, hollow/tinny. Looking around the Astro forums, this is a common enough issue specifically relating to Xbox party chat.

The best way i can describe it is like watching a standard definition channel on a mid range LED TV. It's not brilliant, but it is passible. It entirely depends on the individual whether they are comfortable in party chat with a less than stellar sound. I am by no means suggesting it's a terrible product- just coming from the 420x it is noticeable, it's not as rich or as warm, it's a bit like listening to someone across the room with sparse or no furniture- you get the message and can understand what you're hearing but it's not the best, however it's not echoey as such.

On the flip side, the 7.1 is astounding, in fact game/movie/etc volume and clarity is simply brilliant, tested in Destiny and Mass Effect 3 and on Star Wars Ep 7, and it was just fantastic. They are extremely comfortable on the head, very light and roomy, and the build quality looks to be fantastic. The design of the base means that there needs to be a little bit of force when laying them in to charge, however there is a micro usb port for charging too so, again, not a major issue.

It's really a matter of whether a hollow sounding voice is acceptable to you and the people you play with, as i said it's not inherently awful, it's just not spectacular for a headset with a €300 price tag. Probably worth €200 from Argos currently, and hopefully if there's enough noise made then there will be a fix put forward as there appears to be no issue with PC or PS4 voice chat, so i would suspect that it is something to do with how the Xbox and the headset shake hands, specifically relating to how Xbox Live translates voice.

All in all, i am reasonably happy, i wish the voice was better but if i'm not the only one with the issue then it's at least not something wrong with the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm having a few similar issues with my Gen 3 mic. Its not great, and keeps turning "robotic" according to friends on PC & Xbox. They sound amazing though.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    I'm having a few similar issues with my Gen 3 mic. Its not great, and keeps turning "robotic" according to friends on PC & Xbox. They sound amazing though.

This is, apparently, a common issue on Xbox. There's a huge thread on the Astro forum (link in my previous post) with plenty of folk saying they are having that exact issue, significantly less folk claiming no issues at all, and the Astro reps saying "nope, nothing to see here, everything is as it should be"

I guess if enough folk make noise about it their hand may be forced into some kind of update or fix, but currently it's not looking good. Which is a shame because if the voice chat was crystal or near crystal then it'd be a hunert center, no doubt. As it stands it's high 70's to mid 80's, ticks a lot of boxes to a very high standard, but let down by the chat issues.

I'd be very interested in getting into a party chat with yourself miralize and anyone else who has the headset to contrast and compare.

Yea, it seems to only be an issue with Xbox as PS4 has no such problems at all in my experience.
    I think it's a lot harder with the Xbox and headset mic quality because of the tech used by MS. Probably why most headsets need the chat cable on the system to somewhat make things a bit better. That Astro forum is full of whiners though at the best of times. If they've all had bad experiences with their headsets they should take their money elsewhere. I know Astro headsets are very expensive and you should get a top quality experience for that but if you're not happy you should move on and spend your money on a different make.

Argos holding one of the xbox one headsets for 219 for me til end of day..

Nervous seeing what's being said re mic sounds tbh.

Are they worth the 219 or is there a better headset available for that kinda money

Are they worth the 219 or is there a better headset available for that kinda money

Every bit of it. A steal at that price.

There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with the voice chat, more that it's going to sound different to someone on the other end.

But yeah, totally worth €200 quid for the Surround, comfort and build wuality.

Why €219? Did they go up again?

EDIT- I need to clarify for clarity's sake, iv just been chatting to Stone and one other and they both said it sounded horrible. The Missus just happens to be at home this morning and I asked her to hop on and check them out- she has been asked if she is sick or has a headcold.

Interestingly a non boards mate of mine managed to nab a pair in Dublin yesterday and He has just text me to report similar issues, folks on the other end not happy with what they are hearing.

I feel like these are going to cause some issues going forward so I'm going to return them.

@DARK-KNIGHT if you're currently on a split leave them be, the 420x might be a better option, speaking from experience they just work better in party chat, I'm going to go back to them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ibFoxer wrote: »
    There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with the voice chat, more that it's going to sound different to someone on the other end.

But yeah, totally worth €200 quid for the Surround, comfort and build wuality.

Why €219? Did they go up again?

EDIT- I need to clarify for clarity's sake, iv just been chatting to Stone and one other and they both said it sounded horrible. The Missus just happens to be at home this morning and I asked her to hop on and check them out- she has been asked if she is sick or has a headcold.

Interestingly a non boards mate of mine managed to nab a pair in Dublin yesterday and He has just text me to report similar issues, folks on the other end not happy with what they are hearing.

I feel like these are going to cause some issues going forward so I'm going to return them.

@DARK-KNIGHT if you're currently on a split leave them be, the 420x might be a better option, speaking from experience they just work better in party chat, I'm going to go back to them now.

I was going to get a set in Waterford tomorrow. Think I'll leave them now.

Cheers for the heads up.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I was going to get a set in Waterford tomorrow. Think I'll leave them now.

Cheers for the heads up.

It's a pity but no point in wasting money, I'll bring mine back over the weekend.

These ain't showing up as in stock in any Argos i check online. How are you lads finding them in store?

These ain't showing up as in stock in any Argos i check online. How are you lads finding them in store?

They weren't showing up yesterday morning either but started showing in different stores during the day.

Argos carlow just confirm my headset is ready to collect God will I buy or not :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Just reserved an 500GB XB1S Minecraft bundle in Argos for collection tomorrow.

Deal 1 said to add additional controller at £15 off.

When it hit the basket, the additional controller is only €20.00

So, €319.99 for the lot.

Thought that was worth mentioning :)

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Just reserved an 500GB XB1S Minecraft bundle in Argos for collection tomorrow.

Deal 1 said to add additional controller at £15 off.

When it hit the basket, the additional controller is only €20.00

So, €319.99 for the lot.

Thought that was worth mentioning :)

It'll look funny wearing the console and controller on your head to get sound though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

emmetkenny wrote:
    It'll look funny wearing the console and controller on your head to get sound though

Damnit!

Meant to be in the BA thread....sorry!

Argos carlow just confirm my headset is ready to collect God will I buy or not :(

Do IT!!

I'm taking mine back so i suggest no, don't do it.

Out of all the headsets i've owned it's the comfiest to wear which is a big draw for me. I give up on headsets that hurt my ears after a while which is most of them. A40 TR's on my Xbox One and Gen 3 A50's on my PS4. Sorted!!

Out of all the headsets i've owned it's the comfiest to wear which is a big draw for me. I give up on headsets that hurt my ears after a while which is most of them. A40 TR's on my Xbox One and Gen 3 A50's on my PS4. Sorted!!

Aye, they are awesome to wear but theres no comparison between the PS4 and XB1 versions- PS4 chat works perfectly, or a helluva lot better than XB1.

Seen a YouTube video review of the headset and apparently settings can be tweaked on the pc settings to fix the chat sound

You can select different mic settings so I'd say thay will sort it somewhat. They'll probably release a new Firmware update soon I'd say. €212 is so tempting though. Arghhh

• Advertisement

You can select different mic settings so I'd say thay will sort it somewhat. They'll probably release a new Firmware update soon I'd say. €212 is so tempting though. Arghhh

I'll play around with it until i take it back but i can't see myself hanging on to it.

Advertisement