Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just looking for a recommendation for a headset for an 11 year old? Something half decent..
    Thanks

What price range are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Less than €100. He has 360 and xbox one so someting that can be used for both

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Less than €100. He has 360 and xbox one so someting that can be used for both

Here you go, premium built headset that loads on here have bought.

http://www.checkargos.com/product/5713732

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Thanks very much!! What a bargain too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Hi all,

Need some help/advice.

My son got an Xbox 1TB a few weeks ago. He got the Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 420X headset also i.e.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/c-996/xbox-one-accessories/p-19527/turtle-beach-ear-force-stealth-420x-/

All went fine for about a week and then we discovered the headset would not charge and in fact was tripping the Xbox surge protection when plugged in. The charging cable worked with a phone so the cable was fine and the headset would not charge via other methods of power.

So we assumed a faulty power connection or something and returned for a replacement. No stock in Smyths so refund received and new pair picked up in Game.

Now here we are another week or so later and the second set appear to be having the same issue??? My son has a phone and 2 tablets that use the same connection for charging along with other game consoles and controllers he charges and there has never been a single issue like this. Also since the 1st issue he has been extra careful with this 2nd headset.

Are we missing something with this headset? Or are there known reliability issues? Given the cost I am surprised this has happened again...

Any ideas?

If this set gets returned we will need to source an alternative headset - what would you suggest?

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Need some help/advice.

My son got an Xbox 1TB a few weeks ago. He got the Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 420X headset also i.e.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/c-996/xbox-one-accessories/p-19527/turtle-beach-ear-force-stealth-420x-/

All went fine for about a week and then we discovered the headset would not charge and in fact was tripping the Xbox surge protection when plugged in. The charging cable worked with a phone so the cable was fine and the headset would not charge via other methods of power.

So we assumed a faulty power connection or something and returned for a replacement. No stock in Smyths so refund received and new pair picked up in Game.

Now here we are another week or so later and the second set appear to be having the same issue??? My son has a phone and 2 tablets that use the same connection for charging along with other game consoles and controllers he charges and there has never been a single issue like this. Also since the 1st issue he has been extra careful with this 2nd headset.

Are we missing something with this headset? Or are there known reliability issues? Given the cost I am surprised this has happened again...

Any ideas?

If this set gets returned we will need to source an alternative headset - what would you suggest?

Are those the ones with the USB drive that needs to be plugged directly into the console?

I know a few of the lads here have a set so they might be able to help better than me.

Is he charging the headset with the supplied cable through a USB port on the console? If not just make sure that whatever plug and cable he is using isn't over/under rated to charge the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Need some help/advice.

Any ideas?

That's a strange one, i wonder does the headset require more power than a phone or tablet and as such the port isn't tripping when charging these? Because to get two dud headsets, from different suppliers, which would in all probability be from different batches, would be highly irregular. Then again, if the headset won't charge from another source it is possible that the port has shorted the battery?

EDIT- i have had two of these headsets, the first one had some issues with the mic boom, but the second one is spot on. I know two of the other lads have them too, and i haven't heard them say anything about charging issues- the denominator here is the xbox i'd say

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are those the ones with the USB drive that needs to be plugged directly into the console?

I know a few of the lads here have a set so they might be able to help better than me.

Is he charging the headset with the supplied cable through a USB port on the console? If not just make sure that whatever plug and cable he is using isn't over/under rated to charge the headset.

That's the one, i'm thinking that the port itself might be wonky and has possibly shorted the battery in the headset?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    That's the one, i'm thinking that the port itself might be wonky and has possibly shorted the battery in the headset?

Unlikely with two separate headsets.

I thought the headset battery might have been fried if to much current had been allowed in.

Unlikely with two separate headsets.

I thought the headset battery might have been fried if to much current had been allowed in.

But that's what i'm thinking, that the headsets draw more power than say a phone or tablet, and that the port itself is damaged, and has shorted the battery in both headsets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So from researching on Google prior for related issues I had come across users saying the usb connection to similar headsets can be temperamental so have been playing around with them plugged into various different chargers and I noticed the odd flicker on the ear pieces when wiggling the cable in and out. Eventually when trying via the usb ports on a twin double socket I seen the greenlight flicker again and then heard "charging" from the earpiece and they turned red to show charging.

So it appears I can now get a charge just need to see how flakey this process is over the coming days to hit the sweet spot to make the connection in order to charge.

On the console I had swapped various other usb items into different ports and they did not trip the surge protection which made me rule out the console as being at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Astro a50 currently €169 in Argos

Astro a50 currently €169 in Argos

I bought the newer version of these about a month ago and the sound and comfort are well above my TurtleBeach Stealth 500x.

The only thing is the lads have said I do sound a little more 'robotic' in a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Argh!!!! Still can't get the mic to work on my X11's. What am I doing wrong? The mic works fine on my pc but on Xbox One S it's not recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Argh!!!! Still can't get the mic to work on my X11's. What am I doing wrong? The mic works fine on my pc but on Xbox One S it's not recognised.

thats an xbox 360 headset yeah? do you have the chat adapter for your controller?

thats an xbox 360 headset yeah? do you have the chat adapter for your controller?

I don't have the chat adapter. I thought I could just plug it straight into the 3.5mm socket on the controller?

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I don't have the chat adapter. I thought I could just plug it straight into the 3.5mm socket on the controller?

Do you have a Kinnect hooked up? If so you don't have that set for voice chat.

Do you have a Kinnect hooked up? If so you don't have that set for voice chat.

Yeah I have Kinect off for chat, I can hear people through the headset but they can't hear me.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Hey peeps!

Thinking about getting a headset for my daughter for Xmas to go along with the XB1S.

She's currently recording videos of Minecraft PE and Roblox on her tablet and uploading them to YouTube, so I guess she'd like to do the same on the Xbox.

Basically, decent enough mic and stereo sound. In and around €50.

Thanks a mil...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Hey peeps!

Thinking about getting a headset for my daughter for Xmas to go along with the XB1S.

She's currently recording videos of Minecraft PE and Roblox on her tablet and uploading them to YouTube, so I guess she'd like to do the same on the Xbox.

Basically, decent enough mic and stereo sound. In and around €50.

Thanks a mil...

Argos item number 288/9298

the links dont work all the time, but it should be here

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2889298/Trail/searchtext%3EXBOX+ONE+HEADSET.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I'd seen that one in the other thread alright, looks the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Argos item number 288/9298

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2889298/Trail/searchtext%3EXBOX+ONE+HEADSET.htm

Got a set of them last week and really impressed. I've got a big head and they're still very comfortable and the sound quality is ridiculously superior even to the iPhone headphones I was using.

The one thing I'll say is that whilst I don't mind and probably prefer wired (just can't be arsed with more charging etc), the actual cable itself is pretty short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Ok so last night I finally tried the LS30 I got in Argos during the Black Friday sale.
    I wasnt going to use them until after Christmas as it was my gift to me but I just needed to try them and my god they are amazing!
    The cushions on your ears are like clouds, so soft and smooth.
    The sound is amazing, i could hear everything, EVERYTHING, that was happening in my room from my tapping the button, the mouse scuttling under the floorboards, my heavy breath sister coughing 3 floors below!!

I like that they are wireless and I dont have to have them connected to my controller, I like that I can just press a button on the side of the earpiece to mute my mic or game, feels a little futuristic :)
    Glad I got them for only €99.99, well worth the money, better than the Elite controller anyway lol :p

Anyone know when or if the LS40s will be available in Europe?
    Available in the US right now but can't find any details about other regions.

Anyone know when or if the LS40s will be available in Europe?
    Available in the US right now but can't find any details about other regions.

To answer my own question are for anyone interested I FB messaged Lucidsound about availability in UK and Ireland and they responded with:
    "They're on the way right now, so very soon but I don't know the exact date retail will have them in stores. Thanks!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

If I'm looking for a completely wireless solution, is the Turtle Beach 800x still the only real option? Anything else on the "incoming" list?

Basically, I'm looking for something that is wireless, is pretty multifunctional (works with phone, tablet, Surface. Decent for watching films, listening to music). Noise cancelling would be a bonus for travelling, but it seems like not many headphones can do a decent job of it. Any views on how the noise cancelling works on 800x?

I've an amazon.com voucher that needs spending, although I'll obviously be stung for import fees.

druss wrote: »
    If I'm looking for a completely wireless solution, is the Turtle Beach 800x still the only real option? Anything else on the "incoming" list?

Basically, I'm looking for something that is wireless, is pretty multifunctional (works with phone, tablet, Surface. Decent for watching films, listening to music). Noise cancelling would be a bonus for travelling, but it seems like not many headphones can do a decent job of it. Any views on how the noise cancelling works on 800x?

I've an amazon.com voucher that needs spending, although I'll obviously be stung for import fees.

The new Astro A50 is fully wireless. I upgraded from TurtleBeach Stealth 500x which were fully wireless as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I had the 800X and returned them. They were uncomfortable after a while. Lots say they are comfortable but not with my ears. I tried the noise cancelling and it did work though but it felt as if your eardrums are getting sucked out of your head for some reason when you turn the noise cancelling on i thought but in fairness it did work well. I have the new Astro A50's now and they destroy the TB's in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Cheers both. Something else to consider! No Bluetooth with the Astro, so wireless pairing with phone is out, I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Cheers both. Something else to consider! No Bluetooth with the Astro, so wireless pairing with phone is out, I assume?

Correct. There's not many gaming headsets that do have it though.

Advertisement