Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I really liked the quality and the comfort of the A50s, but alas, I gave them to my son, after he ruined his by accidentally sitting on them.
    I have now a pair of A20s, which cost less than half the A50s, are quite comfortable, and sound well enough. A very acceptable replacement, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    For completely wireless, no chat cable connection (but maybe a base station or dongle - bypassing the controller either way) your options are:

Astro A50
    Astro A40 (connects to a mix amp which connects to the Xbox, bypasses the controller)
    Plantronics RIG 800lx
    Lucid Sound LS35X (I unfortunately had bad experience with these)
    Razer Thresher for Xbox One
    Turtle Beach Elite 800x
    Turtle Beach Pro Elite 2 (same set up as the Astro A40s)

Now I may be mistaken, but those are fresh in my mind as I recently did a huge amount of research.

Maybe there are more that others can ad?

I don't suppose there are any of the headsets that are completely wireless for the Xbox and ps?

If I'm going to spend 300 on something, I'd love to have just one set here.

I think I've probably no hope of finding a completely wireless solution that works on both

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

amadablam wrote:
    I don't suppose there are any of the headsets that are completely wireless for the Xbox and ps?

If I'm going to spend 300 on something, I'd love to have just one set here.

I think I've probably no hope of finding a completely wireless solution that works on both
    Not to the best of my knowledge. The closet you'll get is the LS30 and it's ilk. A dongle that will work on both but a chat cable for Xbox.

If you didn't mind that set-up and fancied an upgrade, I reckon the LS41s would be well worth a punt.

Best we can hope for is for Xbox to drop the proprietary connection BS next gen.

Very tempted to pick up the A50s at the moment. They are between 220-230 sterling.

Anyone know if the Gen 4 are being released soon or if there is any point waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

amadablam wrote: »
    Very tempted to pick up the A50s at the moment. They are between 220-230 sterling.

Anyone know if the Gen 4 are being released soon or if there is any point waiting?

Keep in mind its a bastard to swap out the batteries when the wireless headsets eventually go. They solder the battery directly onto the boards unless there has been some recent changes I am not aware of. Turtle beach wireless headsets are also the same.

Just something to keep in mind. The charge becomes less and less until it won't charge. Most people get about 3 years before needing another battery/headset.

• Advertisement

Keep in mind its a bastard to swap out the batteries when the wireless headsets eventually go. They solder the battery directly onto the boards unless there has been some recent changes I am not aware of. Turtle beach wireless headsets are also the same.

Just something to keep in mind. The charge becomes less and less until it won't charge. Most people get about 3 years before needing another battery/headset.

Thanks dude.

My main concern is that with the new A40 on pre order, the A50 might drop a good bit once the start taking pre orders for the A50 Gen 4 but it's impossible to get any potential release date online.

Might take the plunge on the Gen 3 as its probably going to be a lot cheaper in the short term.

Anyone come across any info on the Gen 4? Seems to be a few new features on presets, charging station, accelerometer for on/off, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Can anyone help ..

When I plug my headphones into the xbox controller, the sound is very low, and can still be heard over the tv speakers?

Wtf ??? :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Can anyone help ..

When I plug my headphones into the xbox controller, the sound is very low, and can still be heard over the tv speakers?

Any specific headset or just regular headphones placed into the controller 3.5mm jack.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Can anyone help ..

You can turn the volume on your headset up, and you can turn the volume on your TV down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    That's cool!
    ZiabR was singing their praises on here recently as well so it's safe to say they're a deadly headset!

Yup, for the price, you cant really go wrong. They are a super headset and so light.

• Advertisement

NEW Arctic Steel Series 9X

Another completely wireless solution for the Xbox One.

Nice to see a bit more choice although top tier price.

Would be nice to see their mix amp and wireless pro features (extra battery, stand, etc) being available even at a premium.

Review is ok

https://gizmodo.com/there-arent-a-lot-of-good-wireless-xbox-headsets-this-1834297219

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Can anyone recommend a headset around 100 euro or less? I play a ton a of apex these days so hearing audio direction would be great.

Outside of that, I'd like to be able to use them with a phone/tablet when needed.

I was looking at the plantronics 800xl but they only have usb as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi

I suspect through rough handling, but my son has been using turtle beach plugged into his controller and they seem to just stop working. I suspect its the connector plug on the controller that gets broken.

I was looking to get him the Plantronics RIG 800LX wireless and it 'looks' as though there are just a couple of connections from the Xbox to the transmitter & that's it !

Is it really as easy to set up as it would eliminate the wired element that i think is causing so many problems.

I got these, https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3-bluetooth

The battery life is excellent, use them with the phone mostly, charged them when I got them and once since. Seriously impressed and you don't know there a gaming headset which I like.

joe123 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a headset around 100 euro or less?

I would recommend the HyperX Cloud II, which usually sells for 100 euro, but you can grab it cheaper when on sale.

They are extremely comfy, as they come with two pairs of covers for the ear cups, one in leatherette and one in velour (textile), and you are bound to love at least one of these.
    Sound quality is great, and they are very versatile in terms of connectivity. Also, the build is great, I use them every day on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I got these, https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3-bluetooth

The battery life is excellent, use them with the phone mostly, charged them when I got them and once since. Seriously impressed and you don't know there a gaming headset which I like.

Ended up with the Plantronics RIG 800LX and they are great, no wires & really comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Ended up with the Plantronics RIG 800LX and they are great, no wires & really comfortable

Very good choice. Solid headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

ZiabR wrote: »
    Very good choice. Solid headset.

The recommendation came from this thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

JoyPad wrote: »
    I would recommend the HyperX Cloud II, which usually sells for 100 euro, but you can grab it cheaper when on sale.

They are extremely comfy, as they come with two pairs of covers for the ear cups, one in leatherette and one in velour (textile), and you are bound to love at least one of these.
    Sound quality is great, and they are very versatile in terms of connectivity. Also, the build is great, I use them every day on my commute.

I'm still very tempted to go wireless. Would I be paying much more for Wireless and losing out on sound quality?

Wireless with the option for a headphone jack would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

can any one recommend cheap head phones x2?

The kids are looking for them now. so I need to get two. I don't want to spend a ton on Money when I know they won't be used much.

I need them to be able to pick up the game sounds on two headsets one Xbox?
    They want to be able to talk to me when I'm upstairs playing for now.
    They don't have friend at the moment apart from cousins.

comfort would be great as one of the kids gets irritated easily.
    wired is grand.

any help would be great.

gmg678 wrote: »

The kids are looking for them now. so I need to get two. I don't want to spend a ton on Money when I know they won't be used much.

wired is grand.

any help would be great.

What ages are they?

Will they be using a controller each?

• Advertisement

wired is grand.

any help would be great.

I'd recommend the HyperX Cloud Stinger. Well made, comfortable, and I find the flick up to mute handier than messing with a switch on the cable. My kids always go for these ones over the other ones we have in the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-HX-HSCS-BK-EM-Stinger-Headset/dp/B01LRX2DSA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=cloud+stinger&qid=1558521329&s=gateway&sr=8-3

If you want a little bit cheaper, they do a Core version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Stinger-Console-Gaming-Headset/dp/B07BB3PYD8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=cloud+stinger&qid=1558521446&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I'd avoid the super cheap ones that are around, most fall apart pretty quickly with kids using them.

What ages are they?

Will they be using a controller each?

They are 8- twins.

They have their own controllers.

They mostly play minecraft and games like that.

Their cousin is getting a xbox next month and it would be great for them to play with each other and talk.

I also just saw that gamestop are doing a deal on turtle beach recon 200s. these any use?

They are 8- twins.

They have their own controllers.

They mostly play minecraft and games like that.

Their cousin is getting a xbox next month and it would be great for them to play with each other and talk.

I am thinking about headset size for an 8 year old. If they are not using party chat perhaps a simple set of kids headphones sold in Smyths and connected to the 3.5mm jack on the controllers.

I also just saw that gamestop are doing a deal on turtle beach recon 200s. these any use?

Turtle beach budget headsets are always very good. Good audio and microphone quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Lads, is here something different about the Xbox headset audio plug that means some mics won't work on it? The young lad is having trouble getting any of the pairs we have to work with it and I can't find the last headphones we know worked to see if it's a hardware issue. I vaguely remember having a similar issue trying to use iPhone headphones on and Android phone before. I don't want to keep buying new headphones if they aren't going to work or if the audio jack somehow got damage (dunno how that could happen though).

Would the Xbox Headphone Adapter fix the issue if it is a problem with the audio jack? Could he just be doing something stupid? I haven't actually had a chance to look myself.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Lads, is here something different about the Xbox headset audio plug that means some mics won't work on it?

Yes, there is. See on this help page, the "Standards for 3.5mm audio jacks" section.

You should first try to update the controller, if needed. Then try different headsets, see if you find a compatible one. Only buy headset adapter as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

For whom it may concern, I ordered the Steelseries Arctis 9x from Steelseries for €159.99 after signing up, free shipping.

That's a saving of well over €40 over the likes of Amazon and Argos- headset is, for those that don't know, designed specifically for the Xbox and connects the same way (via 2.4ghz) as the controllers. Been looking into it for a while so it's a win in my book.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ibFoxer wrote: »
    For whom it may concern, I ordered the Steelseries Arctis 9x from Steelseries for €159.99 after signing up, free shipping.

That's a saving of well over €40 over the likes of Amazon and Argos- headset is, for those that don't know, designed specifically for the Xbox and connects the same way (via 2.4ghz) as the controllers. Been looking into it for a while so it's a win in my book.

Just ordered one of these. My LS30s have been bothering me for ages now, what with cables going missing all the time, and the charging being ultra fiddlely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these. My LS30s have been bothering me for ages now, what with cables going missing all the time, and the charging being ultra fiddlely.

I got a sound piece of advice from a buddy who has them, get one of those magnetic chargers and leave it in them permanently, to avoid any future issues with the charging port.

Advertisement