Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ibFoxer wrote: »
    For whom it may concern, I ordered the Steelseries Arctis 9x...

Cheers for the tip, got a set delivered today and it's working as a WFH headset Bluetooth on Windows (yet to try Mac). Also yet to try Xbox, but I assume that'll work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Idleater wrote: »
    Cheers for the tip, got a set delivered today and it's working as a WFH headset Bluetooth on Windows (yet to try Mac). Also yet to try Xbox, but I assume that'll work.

SNAP! I literally just got mine in the door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

As an aside to this, I set up a realm so my son could play against his school pals. My daugher likes to join in too on the same xbox. She wanted to join in on the chats so I bought a second headset. I can invite her to the party, and she can play with them in the realm, but they can't hear her. Have the feeling she'd need her own xbox live gold sub?
    But she is able to play in the realm with the others so I'm not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

For whom it may concern, I ordered the Steelseries Arctis 9x from Steelseries for €159.99 after signing up, free shipping.

That's a saving of well over €40 over the likes of Amazon and Argos- headset is, for those that don't know, designed specifically for the Xbox and connects the same way (via 2.4ghz) as the controllers. Been looking into it for a while so it's a win in my book.
    Just ordered the headset. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

the corpo wrote: »
    As an aside to this, I set up a realm so my son could play against his school pals. My daugher likes to join in too on the same xbox. She wanted to join in on the chats so I bought a second headset. I can invite her to the party, and she can play with them in the realm, but they can't hear her. Have the feeling she'd need her own xbox live gold sub?
    But she is able to play in the realm with the others so I'm not sure!

No she wouldn't need an xbox live sub as you only need one per xbox. I would imagine you just can't have 2 headsets working from 1 xbox tho I've never tried. Not sure would 1 wireless and 1 wired work out. The only way around this that I can think of is to have your son sign into the xbox app on his/a phone and join the party there using his headset (because he has live sub) and then have your daughter join on the xbox.

• Advertisement

Are you saying they work on PC via bluetooth? Is this true even for gaming?

Nevermind, it needs an xbox wireless dongle to work on PC for gaming.

I'm actually looking for a headset that works on both PC and Xbox. This could be the best route, to get the dongle and then can move between Xbox and PC with the same headset.

I'm actually looking for a headset that works on both PC and Xbox. This could be the best route, to get the dongle and then can move between Xbox and PC with the same headset.
    I don't have the Xbox wireless dongle for the PC (surface pro 4 win 10 pro insiders). It connected via Bluetooth and showed up as a headset and microphone. Played music, video call and system alerts. I have game pass for PC but nothing too much other than age of empires installed. Now I'm not sure what the dongle brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have my Astro A50 Gen 2 working on both. Base station is connected via optical to Xbox and then the base station is connected to the PC via USB.

If I want voice chat on XBox I just need to plug a USB cable from the Xbox into the base station.

Just need to swap a micro USB in the receiver to get voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

No she wouldn't need an xbox live sub as you only need one per xbox. I would imagine you just can't have 2 headsets working from 1 xbox tho I've never tried. Not sure would 1 wireless and 1 wired work out. The only way around this that I can think of is to have your son sign into the xbox app on his/a phone and join the party there using his headset (because he has live sub) and then have your daughter join on the xbox.

Thanks kindly, will try that!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I have my Astro A50 Gen 2 working on both. Base station is connected via optical to Xbox and then the base station is connected to the PC via USB.

If I want voice chat on XBox I just need to plug a USB cable from the Xbox into the base station.

Just need to swap a micro USB in the receiver to get voice.
    Thanks, will look into them as an option. But my xbox and pc are in separate rooms so whatever I go with I'm going to need either 2 dongles or the arctis 9x would work with just the one dongle needed for PC.

Although still not sure if it's even needed at all as other poster seems to be saying it works in PC via bluetooth, but not sure if he/she has tried out a game via bluetooth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Anyone recommend a good budget headset for the kids and any deals on them please.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

Lads I wouldn't know too much about this but I have a question.
    When I played FIFA 19 without a headset online nearly everyone I played had a headset that they would talk into without me resoinding because I didn't have a head set..
    But now in FIFA 20 I never hear a thing from anyone playing online ?
    Is the chatting option gone in FIFA 20 or have I got it turned off somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Lads I wouldn't know too much about this but I have a question.
    When I played FIFA 19 without a headset online nearly everyone I played had a headset that they would talk into without me resoinding because I didn't have a head set..
    But now in FIFA 20 I never hear a thing from anyone playing online ?
    Is the chatting option gone in FIFA 20 or have I got it turned off somewhere?

EA have disabled chat in all games except for friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these. My LS30s have been bothering me for ages now, what with cables going missing all the time, and the charging being ultra fiddlely.
    Just ordered the headset. Thanks

How is everyone finding the 9x?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Love them. Nice sound out of them, USB port on Xbox freed up, very comfortable on my head thanks to a lower weight and the strap that goes across, charging that doesn't require me to struggle for twenty minutes or so, mic is built in so no chance of losing it.

Have to admit that I wasn't sure how comfortable it'd actually be with that strap, I've never liked anything on top of my head, but it's a lot better than my LS30s, maybe it's just because it's a bit lighter.

Now, this might just be me, but after using the LS30s for a couple of hours, I used to get a really hot head, and really sweaty ears. It'd get to the point that I've feel sick afterwards, something like motion sickness or something. Happy to report that I don't get any of that with these, so all told, I'm delighted with them, thanks for the recommendation.

Working great for me too, I have to confess to using them longer as a bt headset in the home office than on the Xbox.

They're as comfortable over the ears as my Aiaiai's and the sound is good - though I wouldn't say audiophile good. I like the headband, it distributes the weight evenly, fine for walking but probably not for running. Haven't tried that!

Having downloaded project cars, the OH is delighted with a headset as the sounds from driving games are annoying for someone in earshot but not participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm pleased that you both are pleased gents. Another member of this illustrious forum has also purchased and is very satisfied, so that's good. Honestly, I just found it very difficult to walk past them at the price, as I had heavily considered them at full anyway.

The one thing I have found, if you're like me and you are a fan of mic monitoring, is to scroll the volume wheel to full and find your personal level on the mix wheel- I go for heavier chat than game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hi folks,
    Quick question if ye don't mind. I'm completely new to a this and I'm trying to get a system set up for my daughters 10 birthday next week.

Well two questions really

1. In order to chat and play with friends do I need to subscribe to x box live.

2. Would I need to buy a ear phones/mic for that? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I really want to be able for her to connect with her friends who she is missing badly.

Thanks in advance

sideswipe wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Quick question if ye don't mind. I'm completely new to a this and I'm trying to get a system set up for my daughters 10 birthday next week.

Well two questions really

1. In order to chat and play with friends do I need to subscribe to x box live.

2. Would I need to buy a ear phones/mic for that? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I really want to be able for her to connect with her friends who she is missing badly.

Thanks in advance

I think you can chat without a Live Gold subscription, but if you want to play, you definitely need a subscription.

Most phone earphones with a microphone would work, just plug them into the controller. Might be a cheaper way of getting started.

More info on Live Gold, and Gamepass, can be found in this post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think you can chat without a Live Gold subscription, but if you want to play, you definitely need a subscription.

Most phone earphones with a microphone would work, just plug them into the controller. Might be a cheaper way of getting started.

More info on Live Gold, and Gamepass, can be found in this post here.

Very helpful, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

hi all, my son has xbox 1 s and he plays fortnite. The problem im having is with his headset, sometimes it works and then the next day it just stops. I think ive tried every setting or video on utube to sort it but I cant get it. Even if he cant talk, he can hear the game and his friends talking. some of the setting I have tried:
    xbox home screen - mic pix with no line through it
    Audio - setting -mic on
    Setting - General -audio - headset - stereo
    Device - controller assigned to his account

Game: settings - Audio - on, open mic , party , on.
    also tried resetting xbox by holding power button down for 10 seconds. I also tried changing his settings to teenager, but still nothing.

I bought him a new headset thinking that was the problem, Trust T22207, but the same problem.

really hoping you can help me...he's driving me mad!! :)

gaz wac wrote: »
    hi all, my son has xbox 1 s and he plays fortnite. The problem im having is with his headset, sometimes it works and then the next day it just stops. I think ive tried every setting or video on utube to sort it but I cant get it. Even if he cant talk, he can hear the game and his friends talking. some of the setting I have tried:
    xbox home screen - mic pix with no line through it
    Audio - setting -mic on
    Setting - General -audio - headset - stereo
    Device - controller assigned to his account

Game: settings - Audio - on, open mic , party , on.
    also tried resetting xbox by holding power button down for 10 seconds. I also tried changing his settings to teenager, but still nothing.

I bought him a new headset thinking that was the problem, Trust T22207, but the same problem.

really hoping you can help me...he's driving me mad!! :)

Same problem here....no rhyme nor reason to it. One of my kids will have no issues, while the other can't talk with anyone. The next day it's fine.

I'm pretty sure it's tied in to all the cross-platform stuff. I don't think they have issues when they're just in an xbox live party with other xbox users.

Are you plugging into the controller audio port by any chance? My lad has been through multiple controllers with the 3.5mm audio port constantly breaking.

If so, go through the Microsoft support steps and when you get to the part where you tell them what the problem is the 3.5mm port will be an option you can select. As soon as you select that it goes straight to issuing you a return label, no questions asked. 2 weeks later you've a brand new controller. I think Microsoft are well aware there is a flaw in the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

can you use the Arctis 9x wirelessly with bluetooth on PC? Its says on the site you need to buy the dongle, but you can use it wirelessly with your phone over bluetooth?:confused:

can you use the Arctis 9x wirelessly with bluetooth on PC? Its says on the site you need to buy the dongle, but you can use it wirelessly with your phone over bluetooth?:confused:

I use it daily with bluetooth to windows 10 (no dongle). Tried it to android phone worked fine too.

I haven't figured out what the wireless dongle brings on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Thanks Mr Grumble, ill give that a go! pain in the hoop but sure ill see if that fixes the problem. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Have to agree with the comments on the 9X, as I bought a set before Christmas for 130 when they were on offer in Argos. Very comfortable but not amazing volume compared to other head phones but the features and comfort make up for that. Unfortunately mine developed an issue and when I returned them, they didn't have any left in stock at the time.

Also using Philips Fidelio x2hr with Vmoda mic and its got a lovely sound stage due to being open back but they leak a lot of sound and even though rated at 30ohm, they really do benefit from an amp/dac. Recently saw them on offer for 89 sterling but they are back at full price. They are heavy though, but comfortable with the floating headband and massive in size but the velour ear pads are really warm but they can be changed easily.

Lucidsound Ls35x were my latest ones. Really good sound with Dolby Atmos even on stock atmos settings, incredible volume but lacking an EQ like the LS30. Quiet a bit of compression from the clamping force of headband on each side of your head compared to the Ls30. Also the headband design appeared a bit fragile. Even with the latest firmware, they randomly would give an incredibly loud static type crackle and no matter what I did, it came back, randomly. So they are gone back to Amazon. I prefer the fit of the 30's on lowest size but as CIAB said, they get warm.

Looking for something new maybe Audeze wireless or Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser 599,ect or something different but if get a pair of 9x at the right price I might try them again as they were super comfortable and I really liked being able to BT my phone at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Whats a good cheap headset for kids? wired is fine, cheap and chat is all i need

Scruff wrote: »
    Whats a good cheap headset for kids? wired is fine, cheap and chat is all i need

Some good cheap Turtle Beach one's that should do the job. Or a pair of Hyperx Cloud Stingers.

• Advertisement

Some good cheap Turtle Beach one's that should do the job. Or a pair of Hyperx Cloud Stingers.

I second this. Have had Turtle Beach Recon 50 and 70, as well as HyperX Cloud Stinger and Stinger Core. All have served the kids pretty well, but it's probably worth the few extra quid for the more expensive variants, rather than the absolute cheapest.

Advertisement