Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Parks in Dublin, is it allowed?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Was cycling in though Herbert Park this morning. I came out the gates on to the path next to the Dodder. Two Gardai were 'patrolling' on foot. One of them told me 'for future reference' cycling isn't allowed in the park. The thing is a sign at the entrance to the park says no unauthorized vehicles and has a picture of a car with a red line across it, no specific mention of bicycles.

I do however accept it probably is against the rules to cycle in Herbert park since there's no designated cycle paths in the park. The 2002 bye-laws states:
    "No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blade's, or other vehicle in any park or open space except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for that purpose"

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/Documents/ParksBye-Laws2D.pdf

South county Dublin's bye laws from 2011 state that:

"The use of bicycles, skateboards, in-line skates, roller-skates, non motorised scooters and similar vehicles are permitted subject to careful use and consideration for other Park users. A maximum speed limit of 20kph shall apply to all such vehicles with the exception of areas designated for cycle training and races by prior agreement with the Council."

This seems more reasonable. I've noticed a sign in Darty Park (next to the Dodder between Orwell Road and Orwell Park) recently which said 'cycle slowly with and consideration' or words to that effect, there was no other indication that the path was a cycle path. This is also in Dublin City council area.

Anyway does anyone know if the 2002 bye laws are likely to be updated. How does the cycle slowly sign fall into the policy framework? At the moment it seems either you can't cycle or you can cycle on a designated path.

Needless to say these rules are seldom enforced in my experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Its legal...as long as you don't get caught! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP if you go to google maps they have a new feature for cycling, you need to select 'Layers' and then 'Cycling' and a from there the map will show you all the cycle paths in Dublin. I've noticed that it shows some parks as having cycle routes and others don't, I guess the ones that don't have cycle paths are those that aren't marked on the map.

I think DCC really need to take a look at their policy on parks. Ideally there should be dedicated cycle paths, separated from pedestrians with warning signs when paths cross over. It seems mad to have these big parks and not make them accessible to cycling IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Muahahaha wrote: »
    OP if you go to google maps they have a new feature for cycling, you need to select 'Layers' and then 'Cycling' and a from there the map will show you all the cycle paths in Dublin. I've noticed that it shows some parks as having cycle routes and others don't, I guess the ones that don't have cycle paths are those that aren't marked on the map.

If we're talking legal paths I wouldn't go looking to google maps, it's very hit and miss regarding cycling routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

OP if you go to google maps they have a new feature for cycling, you need to select 'Layers' and then 'Cycling' and a from there the map will show you all the cycle paths in Dublin.

Where do you find this 'layers' biz?

OP, some parks (eg the Phoenix Park, Blackrock Park) have designated cycle paths. Others are designed with us tottering oldies in mind, and having hulking great cyclists hurtling at us sets us all of a flutter, so they ask you not to. Look at the notice as you come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dc2

South Dublin County Council Bye Laws for Parks and Open Spaces were revised in 2011 to permit the use of bicycles.

Section 3.5 states:
    The use of bicycles, skateboards, in-line skates, roller-skates, non motorised scooters and similar vehicles are permitted subject to careful use and consideration for other Park users. A maximum speed limit of 20kph shall apply to all such vehicles with the exception of areas designated for cycle training and races by prior agreement with the Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Personally I think parks play an essential role in getting young cyclists out practising and would hate to see it banned. Obviously common sense and restarint should be sued but families out for a gentle cycle together should certianly be permitted.

Clowns on the dublin bike scheme bikes hurtling through stephens green are another matter though..

Where do you find this 'layers' biz?

OP, some parks (eg the Phoenix Park, Blackrock Park) have designated cycle paths. Others are designed with us tottering oldies in mind, and having hulking great cyclists hurtling at us sets us all of a flutter, so they ask you not to. Look at the notice as you come in.

On the google maps site hit the menu symbol (it is a box with three horizontal lines inside it) then you'll seen an option 'Layers', hit that then hit 'bicycling' and you'll get a map denoting all the cycle paths and lanes in a given town or city.

The feature is in beta so there are some inaccuracies - one would be that it shows you can cycle all around Herbert park when the OP was told he can't. Nonetheless I've found the feature very handy for finding new routes and trails that I wouldn't of otherwise.

On the google maps site hit the menu symbol (it is a box with three horizontal lines inside it) then you'll seen an option 'Layers', hit that then hit 'bicycling' and you'll get a map denoting all the cycle paths and lanes in a given town or city.

The feature is in beta so there are some inaccuracies - one would be that it shows you can cycle all around Herbert park when the OP was told he can't. Nonetheless I've found the feature very handy for finding new routes and trails that I wouldn't of otherwise.

I can't see this at all! Where is it?

I can't see this at all! Where is it?

Are you accessing Google Maps via their website or an app? When I access it via the app on my ipad when it shows a map at the top left hand corner is a symbol for the menu, it's denoted by three small horizontal lines. Click that and a menu opens up, select 'Bicycling' and you have it.

If you're accessing via maps.google.ie then the menu option is on the top right hand side of the screen on a blue bar with four symbols. It's the one which has three horizontal lines again. Click it, then 'layers' then bicycling.

In order for it to work you gotta have a map already loaded. So search 'Dublin' or wherever and then after you apply the bicycling layer all the cycle lanes and tracks will show up as green lines on the map. Hope this helps.

Nary a sign. Loaded 'Dublin' and this is what's on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Nary a sign. Loaded 'Dublin' and this is what's on the right.

Via laptop:

Hover over the search area in top left, under "getting around", click "bicycling" and you should see thi:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3262101,-6.2341439,16z/data=!5m1!1e3

Ah yes, I see that all right. No layers option, though. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Ah yes, I see that all right. No layers option, though. Odd.

I think "layers" were binned off in the "new" Google maps. Might be still there for some of the iPhone / Android apps but the web based Google maps have the "layers" embedded now ( I think)

blobbie wrote: »
    I think "layers" were binned off in the "new" Google maps. Might be still there for some of the iPhone / Android apps but the web based Google maps have the "layers" embedded now ( I think)

Aaaah. They keep messing with it! The worst is if you make a 'custom map' (for instance, I made one as I read Robert Harris's book An Officer and a Spy, to see where everyone was during the Dreyfus case), you have to open the map, and then click 'Show original map' if you want to add a location.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blobbie wrote: »
    Via laptop:

Hover over the search area in top left, under "getting around", click "bicycling" and you should see thi:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3262101,-6.2341439,16z/data=!5m1!1e3
    according to that, you can cycle all roads in the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

And apparently, you can cycle around the manicured gardens on the grounds of Kilmainham Hospital!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

marcus2000 wrote: »
    And apparently, you can cycle around the manicured gardens on the grounds of Kilmainham Hospital!!!

Cool, new trail for my 29er then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

OP, when the Garda said this to you, did you pop a wheelie? I think that's the official response you're supposed to conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭blackwhite

dc2 wrote: »
    South Dublin County Council Bye Laws for Parks and Open Spaces were revised in 2011 to permit the use of bicycles.

Section 3.5 states:
    The use of bicycles, skateboards, in-line skates, roller-skates, non motorised scooters and similar vehicles are permitted subject to careful use and consideration for other Park users. A maximum speed limit of 20kph shall apply to all such vehicles with the exception of areas designated for cycle training and races by prior agreement with the Council.

Herbert Park falls within Dublin City, not South Dublin County.

The Dublin City Council bye-laws are the only ones that matter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Used to cycle in were the likes of Tymon, Bushy and Marley Park a good bit when I was starting off and never had any hassle, though I never checked whether it was actually allowed. I find that in the majority of park areas, as long as you take it easy on bikes, keep your speed down and stay on the paths very few people if any will have an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Legal or not... :P

316714.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alek wrote: »
    Legal or not... :P

I think not. You could maybe mix the pink and green in the new style boards kit but not the old blue and the new green...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Witnessed a bit of fisty cuffs in Griffith park in Drumcondra in June over this very issue !!

Bloke on bicycle hit some chaps dog , dog was on extender lead etc.

Dog owner even took a swing at the cyclist lol , well deserved at that (and I'm a cyclist myself)

Gardai were there when I was coming back Round and they were telling the cyclist that 'this isn't the Phoenix park' and something about no cycle lanes etc /cycling not permitted here .

So it seems it must be the rule of thumb if there's no cycle lane ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

italodisco wrote: »
    So it seems it must be the rule of thumb if there's no cycle lane ?
    Or the Gardaí not knowing every single law inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

No cycling is now painted onto the pavements of Herbert Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    No cycling is now painted onto the pavements of Herbert Park.

an bhfuil se as gaeilge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

From the Dublin City Council Parks and Open Spaces Bye-Laws (2002)
    4.6 TRAFFIC, BICYCLES, SKATEBOARDS ETC.

(a) No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blades,
    or other vehicle in any park or open space except on such routes and in
    such places as may be designated by the Council for that purpose.

(e) Bye-Law 4.6(a) and 4.6(d) shall not apply to:
    (1) bicycles or tricycles ridden by children under the age of 10 years
    who are accompanied by and under the care of an adult
    (2) bicycles using designated cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Moflojo wrote: »
    From the Dublin City Council Parks and Open Spaces Bye-Laws (2002)

Bye-Laws or not, people will still cycle in parks and wherever else they want.

The Gardai should have slapped him with a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

bazermc wrote: »
    an bhfuil se as gaeilge?

Níl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well that's a pain. Herbert Park is a nice diversion from the WW1 trench reenactment that is the road of the same name.

Advertisement