Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Parks in Dublin, is it allowed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek wrote: »
    Legal or not... :P

Impossible to better cdaly's reply but the Stephens Green bylaws do not prohibit cycling in the Green, just bringing a bike into the Green! I've seen people walking bikes there being told to leave which seems a bit excessive. Operating a gramophone apparatus is banned too so don't say you haven't been warned.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Re Herbert Park -- are we talking about the path along the river flanked by the two other paths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Operating a gramophone apparatus is banned too so don't say you haven't been warned.

But not mechanical cylinder phonographs!

200px-EdisonPhonograph.jpg

#stickingittotheman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

monument wrote: »
    Re Herbert Park -- are we talking about the path along the river flanked by the two other paths?

I hope not because I have modified my route to go along that path now.

The warning paintings are on pavements inside the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Impossible to better cdaly's reply but the Stephens Green bylaws do not prohibit cycling in the Green, just bringing a bike into the Green! I've seen people walking bikes there being told to leave which seems a bit excessive. Operating a gramophone apparatus is banned too so don't say you haven't been warned.

St Stephen's Green is not run by Dublin City Council, it is under the remit of the OPW, and their rules are stricter, in that you cannot bring a bike in, never mind ride it.
    monument wrote: »

The pathway beside the river (outside the newish boundary wall/flood protection that is the edge of the park) is a shared facility.
    Cycling inside Herbert Park has always been against the (Dublin City Council) bye-laws, but in the last few years, the improvement of the condition of the shared riverside path, the 24-hour opening of the park (used to close at sunset), as well as the removal of a lot of the shrubbery in the park (improving visibility/sight-lines) has meant that a lot more cyclists are taking short-cuts, and are also riding faster than before. The new signs at the gates are in the form of a painted stencil of a white bike inside a red circle, which is actually a representation of the UK/Netherlands road sign meaning no cycling. Seeing as most Irish road signs that prohibit something have a diagonal slash across the symbol, it looks ambiguous at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Type 17 wrote: »
    St Stephen's Green is not run by Dublin City Council, it is under the remit of the OPW, and their rules are stricter, in that you cannot bring a bike in, never mind ride it.

The pathway beside the river (outside the newish boundary wall/flood protection that is the edge of the park) is a shared facility.
    Cycling inside Herbert Park has always been against the (Dublin City Council) bye-laws, but in the last few years, the improvement of the condition of the shared riverside path, the 24-hour opening of the park (used to close at sunset), as well as the removal of a lot of the shrubbery in the park (improving visibility/sight-lines) has meant that a lot more cyclists are taking short-cuts, and are also riding faster than before. The new signs at the gates are in the form of a painted stencil of a white bike inside a red circle, which is actually a representation of the UK/Netherlands road sign meaning no cycling. Seeing as most Irish road signs that prohibit something have a diagonal slash across the symbol, it looks ambiguous at best.

Not to mention that someone will probably graffiti over the signs at some stage.

Was it always prohibited to cycle through Herbert Park, there seems to be conflicting rules and opinions here?

I'll admit I cycled through the park until the new painted signs. My work route takes me through Orwell Park as well, is it ok to cycle through there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Was it always prohibited to cycle through Herbert Park, there seems to be conflicting rules and opinions here?

Well, I moved to near the park in 1999, and there used to be cast-iron signs at the main entrances, listing the by-laws and opening times (they varied through the year to match the changing sunrise/sunsets). The signs' language was very old, so they were around for many decades, and one of the bye-laws was that no cycling was permitted...
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I'll admit I cycled through the park until the new painted signs. My work route takes me through Orwell Park as well, is it cycle to cycle through there?

I cycle through the park too, but I make a point of giving way to pedestrians, and going slowly (taking the short cut through the park is in itself the big saving in distance/time, so going slowly is not an issue).

Advertisement