Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Pc from the USA

Options
  • 21-07-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

In the coming month, I plan to purchase computer parts and send them to a friend in the states, his going to be building me the computer and sending it over to Ireland, what sort of vat am I liable to? and how will they charge me if they have to look inside the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I think so long as you can prove to customs that you paid VAT already on the parts you should be fine.

I'm only going by what I read on the revenue website. Could be entirely wrong, might be a good idea to ask them perhaps?

Have a look at part 5.4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In the coming month, I plan to purchase computer parts and send them to a friend in the states, his going to be building me the computer and sending it over to Ireland, what sort of vat am I liable to? and how will they charge me if they have to look inside the case.
    Honestly with the added shipping cost of it going there AND back I'd say you can probably get someone local to do it for the same price or a site such as Hardwareversand.de. I mean a decent PC chassi is easily going to be 10kg (going beyond double that in some cases), add in components (which may take damage during transit being thrown around esp. when mounted in a PC) and you're looking at 15kg + a very big size which is going to be costing a pretty penny (and that's assuming nothing gets damaged in transit).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Head over to the PC building and Upgrading forum, there's a few guides around on building a pc, and even a few people who'll be able to build it for you for a small amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You might as well buy the parts, get them shipped to you then smash them with a hammer and burn an extra €100.

Someone in the PC upgrades forum will do it for a few beers.

<SNIP> you can do it yourself. (I meant that with the greatest respect perhaps <SNIP>).

If for what ever reason the OP felt attacked I sincerely apologise that was not my intention in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I assume that you are going to buy the parts online in the US and have them shipped directly to your friend? So you won't have paid any Irish VAT on the parts.

When your mate ships the PC to you the courier/customs will assess a value for it and charge you VAT at 23% on the assessed value plus the shipping cost. Also there will be administration charges as well. There is no duty on computers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement