Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving distance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Golfnut77

I was able to hit a few on a simulator recently when I got my new driver, I was hitting my Titleist 910 D3 270 carry and 295 avg total, I got a few just over 300, but when I use the Bushnell on the course and work out my yardages I'd say I can count on one hand how many times I've gotten over 300 so I don't know how accurate simulators are since there's no wind etc. I ended up buying the SLDR, I was carrying it on average about 6 yards further which isn't much but the spin rate was way lower so it was worth the investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Golfnut77 wrote: »
    I was able to hit a few on a simulator recently when I got my new driver, I was hitting my Titleist 910 D3 270 carry and 295 avg total, I got a few just over 300, but when I use the Bushnell on the course and work out my yardages I'd say I can count on one hand how many times I've gotten over 300 so I don't know how accurate simulators are since there's no wind etc. I ended up buying the SLDR, I was carrying it on average about 6 yards further which isn't much but the spin rate was way lower so it was worth the investment.

I think the main thing to look for is clubhead speed, smash factor, and ballspeed. Carry/distance numbers on simulators can be a bit off alright

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

my average would be 255 meters, consistent enough with it, im mid 20's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Golfnut77 wrote: »

I got fit on a flightscope for my old xhot pro and it was showing 260-270 carry and a decent dispersion with an average of 105mph and a top end of 109mph.

Swinging the exact same for the few months I had the driver the highest I seen was probably 260 carry with some minor roll. The PXV shaft always seemed to hit it high in the air when I went for it where as the flightscope showed a lovely arc.

If I'm on a flight scope now I look for spin numbers,launch angle and most important dispersion and contact.

My current driver is the 910 with a Kuro Kage S 46" from a cobra amp pro set to 8.75 and I'm actually seeing that flight. Next time I'm on a launch monitor with a driver it will be looking at shafts and on the range to confirm it.

IMO, use it as a guide not gospel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would rarely ever measure my drives, Partly because i don't want to be let down, but mostly because it does no good whatsoever. I like the 910 driver that I have, and if i'm going to spend hundreds on yards, its going to have a land registry cert.
    Also, I work in meters which makes the numbers less attractive.

Anyway I had a good day on Sunday, i'm guessing average of 205M, absolute max of 245M, (downhill, with the wind.)

But, for instance, Headfort New, 12th hole, 230Meters, out clear past the tree on the right of fairway. The exact same swing on the 13th hole gets no more than 200Meters.
    So why bother measuring..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    What is "this"?

GameGolf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

240 - early 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Haven't a clue how far I hit it. Not really interested either as I know when I hit it right it's grand the distance it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Driver swing speed is 114, can get it up into 120s. Bad one goes 220 good one I guess over 300. Used to keep stats and 272 was average

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ForeRight wrote: »
    Haven't a clue how far I hit it. Not really interested either as I know when I hit it right it's grand the distance it goes.

THis is code for " im really short " ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It really is almost a pointless conversation. I played Portmarnock Links on Monday. 14th hole measures 314 yds off the Greens. I hit a perfect drive right on the line I wanted, slight cut with a strong helping left-right wind. I was long and left of the green, meaning my drive may have went about 330 yds.

I'm guessing, in the conditions, this may have had as much as 100 yds of roll.

It's golf, every day, every course and every shot can give ya something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

Tones69 wrote: »
    I think the main thing to look for is clubhead speed, smash factor, and ballspeed. Carry/distance numbers on simulators can be a bit off alright

I was getting fit for a driver shaft a few years ago. I walked out of two places because the simulator was telling me I was hitting my existing driver about 30 yards further than I do. The third place I went to was pretty much spot on and interestingly the same simulator model as the first place. IMO, a lot of them are set up to massage egos.
    ie Guy comes in and tries a new driver and it tells him he's hitting it as far as the pros (PGA tour average is 270). So guy buys the driver.....hits it 210 yards on the course, but thinks it's going much longer.
    If you're getting fitted, always bring your existing driver and see if the machine is telling you in the region of what you actually do hit it.

A good drive for me is 250, about 50% will be less, 230-240. It's amazing how many 280 yard hitters I've played with that leave it 20 yards short of me. (that said I know several who can hit their 3 wood 20 yards past my driver)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Rikand wrote: »
    THis is code for " im really short " ;)

Haha I wouldn't say I am actually. I know from playing with different people that I hit it long enough. It's just not something I worry about.

No man should worry about length

ForeRight wrote: »
    No man should worry about length

The only men who worry about length are the ones who think they have a reason to.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BOB81

Am early 30's - probably range between 220-250 with the odd one out past that, find my slice/fade off the tee is not conducive to great distance (early 30's). Got a garmin in the last few months which has a distance measure function which has been a good reality check..."that drive must be gone 270....no that's actually 235..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

BOB81 wrote: »
    Am early 30's - probably range between 220-250 with the odd one out past that, find my slice/fade off the tee is not conducive to great distance (early 30's). Got a garmin in the last few months which has a distance measure function which has been a good reality check..."that drive must be gone 270....no that's actually 235..."

That's exactly one of the things that some friends of mine found when they went to using GPS a couple of seasons ago. They said that on your own course, on any given shot, it was of very little benefit as you know the club to hit from every angle, distance etc, but they said the real benefit, for them, was over the course of the season, finding out how far you actually hit your clubs. Or, as they put it, how far you don't hit them !

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

PARlance wrote: »
    I actually don't think people over estimate on d'interweb in bad faith, I think it's more to do with blind faith.

This is so true.

I've a pretty good idea how far i can hit the ball on most days. During the winter i'd get between 200m ~ 220m on a good hit. But i was playing with a guy one day and he was actually starting to do my nut in.... "i can hit the ball so far, etc etc." Now i was consistently out driving him on every hole and as i mentioned, i'm not that long. So i asked him on one of the holes on the back nine after we both tee'd off how far he reckoned we both went. He estimated he did indeed break the 200m mark "easily" and i should be around 230m.

Out with the GPS, he was 149m off the tee and i was around 195m. People just don't know, plain and simple.

hades wrote: »
    This is so true.

I've a pretty good idea how far i can hit the ball on most days. During the winter i'd get between 200m ~ 220m on a good hit. But i was playing with a guy one day and he was actually starting to do my nut in.... "i can hit the ball so far, etc etc." Now i was consistently out driving him on every hole and as i mentioned, i'm not that long. So i asked him on one of the holes on the back nine after we both tee'd off how far he reckoned we both went. He estimated he did indeed break the 200m mark "easily" and i should be around 230m.

Out with the GPS, he was 149m off the tee and i was around 195m. People just don't know, plain and simple.

+ 1

The average driving difference on a golf course is very different from the average driving distance on the internet.

It really is almost a pointless conversation.

Couldn't agree with you more, i was playing a par 5 on my home course last week its around 500m long. I measured my drive at 250m, so i had 250 to go, i decided to hit a 7i in so i could practice my short game from around 100m in. Walked up, ball was on the green. So technically i hit my 7i as far as my driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Couldn't agree with you more, i was playing a par 5 on my home course last week its around 500m long. I measured my drive at 250m, so i had 250 to go, i decided to hit a 7i in so i could practice my short game from around 100m in. Walked up, ball was on the green. So technically i hit my 7i as far as my driver.

I can bone a 7i 250 too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm 28 and would hit it about 220-230m. I wouldn't often play with people who hit it much further than me either.

I'm always amazed by how much the variables affect distance though. Wind, a slice, uphill, etc. Even when you think they're mild, they have a significant impact. Similarly, a slight downhill / downwind etc and you feel like a beast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

how long is your drive is like asking how long is a piece of string, everyone is different, on different days and in different conditions, on different courses!! Too many parameters!!

Keano measured one of my drives at 340 yards in Ballykisteen this year, I probably hit it 220 and it rolled down a hill the rest of the way. I also hit one about 30 yards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Agree with a lot of the sentiments above. I have hit a 340 yard drive in Blarney measured on GPS...downhill, downwind, big bounce.

My average over last couple of months is probably (removing knocked down drives) around 225 yards. If I catch it well it can go 250-270 but that is rare. The center of the clubface is less well used than I'd like :rolleyes:

As Fix said earlier the better golfer I become the less I hit driver. 5 times on Sunday for example.

Late 30s, relatively fit, like long walks on the beach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 digginz

I have hit a drive - 10 yards... try to beat that

Tones69 wrote: »
    I can bone a 7i 250 too :)

My point exactly, its a pointless exercise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

I average about 250 - 260 meters of the tee with the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

digginz wrote: »
    I have hit a drive - 10 yards... try to beat that

Playing a society outing once. Second tee...guy stand up, huge swing, ball drops off tee to about 1 inch.

Next guy stands up and does the same - 1/2 inch. :D

I kid you not. We were splitting ourselves. We were wondering was there a shortest drive comp on we weren't aware of :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Keano measured one of my drives at 340 yards in Ballykisteen this year, I probably hit it 220 and it rolled down a hill the rest of the way. I also hit one about 30 yards!!

Played Palmerstown on Saturday.

16th: Hit my drive ten yards past the ladies tee ie about 60 yards.

17th: Hit my drive about ten yards short of greenside bunker which equates to almost 330yds. It ran about 80 yards of that on the hard fairway.

18th: Hit my drive to the middle of the fairway. 220yds, no run.

I'd settle for 220-240 yards consistently, rather than 300yd once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It really is almost a pointless conversation. I played Portmarnock Links on Monday. 14th hole measures 314 yds off the Greens. I hit a perfect drive right on the line I wanted, slight cut with a strong helping left-right wind. I was long and left of the green, meaning my drive may have went about 330 yds.

I'm guessing, in the conditions, this may have had as much as 100 yds of roll.

It's golf, every day, every course and every shot can give ya something new.

Having said all of that, I'm having great craic guesstimating how far certain recent drives of mine went now that you guys have shown me how to do it on Google Maps! Hours of fun! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

I'd settle for 220-240 yards consistently, rather than 300yd once in a while.

Same here.

Advertisement