Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old still wont sleep through the night

Options
  • 21-07-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi my 8 month old baby girl will still not sleep through the night goes to bed at 8/9pm and then wakes at 12/1am and starts crying for her bottle then falls back to sleep until around 4am and same thing . I know I shouldn't be feeding her through the night but she will not sleep otherwise and I am scared of trying the cry method I would feel terrible is there any other things I could try do .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you tried to pick up and comfort, give a dummy rather than a bottle, and put her down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

I give her a cuddle but that seems to make her think that its play time so I just usually stand at her crib rubbing her head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Some sleep and some don't. Welcome to parent hood :)

Our first didn't sleep through the night till well over 12 long months.

Does she have a soother? The crying out method work for some and not so much for others at the end of the day you do what you can just to get some sleep. So you're doing nothing wrong per se just maybe try and leave her cry a bit longer before you go in each time and eventually she will figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

have you tried watering down the bottles? or just giving water? if shes actually hungry maybe introduce a supper before you put her down - porridge foe eg would fill her up well to last the night.

Excuse my language but she is a tiny animal! Lol she gets porridge before bed I tried 4spoons of powder and 8 oz water but she rejects it wants the real stuff .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Excuse my language but she is a tiny animal! Lol she gets porridge before bed I tried 4spoons of powder and 8 oz water but she rejects it wants the real stuff .

sounds like its purely habit then. but in a way you WANT her to reject the watered down formula so that she puts 2 and 2 together that its not worth waking for. I would say stick to your guns with the watered down formula moving to water only. she will figure out that its all shes getting. it will be torturous for s week ot two til she cops it but worth it in the long run. and fill her more in the day if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi my 8 month old baby girl will still not sleep through the night goes to bed at 8/9pm and then wakes at 12/1am and starts crying for her bottle then falls back to sleep until around 4am and same thing . I know I shouldn't be feeding her through the night but she will not sleep otherwise and I am scared of trying the cry method I would feel terrible is there any other things I could try do .

Do you use "Grobags"? We stopped using them in the summer as they were 2.5tog and baby kept waking up as he was rolling all over his cotbed. I swear it is a form of torture! Anyway we got him a summer grobag and hey presto he is back sleeping through! And can't really roll around to the same extent! If that didn't work I was going to get a sleep consultant in because I couldn't take it much longer!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My lad didn't sleep more than 2 nights through in a row until he was nine months old. We found that pushing his dinner time a bit later got him through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Would you consider putting to bed no later than 8pm

I have a little one who has broken sleep if bed time is later than 8pm.

However yours is still very young yet

You might master this and then go through waking up at 5am phase.
    It's all phases my 4 yr old still is a very light sleeper always was and we had major sleepless nights until she was two

Bear with it try the pick up put down method either we found that really worked

My lad didn't sleep more than 2 nights through in a row until he was nine months old. We found that pushing his dinner time a bit later got him through the night.

I actually tried this last night feeding her at a later stage and omg she was asleep for over 6 hours I couldn't believe it! I hope it wasnt a fluke she even just took small few sups of her bottle but thank you everyone for the advice I will also try the pick up method if she starts waking up upset , I think the weather is playing towards her sleep patterns as she keeps tossing and turning and her hands seem to wake her up so might give grobags a chance I used to swaddle but thought she was too old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hope it's sorting out for you!

How long as it been going on? Has she always been on night feeds or is it just recently. If it's just recently could be a phase for a couple weeks, growth spurt and needs more food during the day.

They really go through crazy phases because of their development and their wee brains on overdrive...

and then there's the teething...

and the growth spurts...

Advertisement