Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhinoplasty surgeons in Ireland

Options
  • 21-07-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello all,

I'm a male in my late 20's, I've been researching rhinoplasty surgeons in Ireland, one name that keeps popping up (his name popped up in 2 boards threads) is Munish Shandilya, but some of the sites he's on seem very commercial, has anybody had any experiences with Mr Shandilya.

(I'm not sure what boards rules are regarding post about specific surgeons so maybe be careful what you say)

(I have removed the www. from the beging of the links due to this being a new account)

Also I read this article: irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/yourhealth/treading-a-thin-line-with-cosmetic-surgery-234640.html

Which suggest selecting a surgeons who is a member of the Irish Association of Plastic Surgeons: plasticsurgery.ie

I may be wrong, but I couldn't find Dr Shandilya on that website.
    But is that a cause for concern?

Some places suggest that because cosmetic surge in Ireland is not regulated that it's best to travel to the UK for surgery, has anybody got any opinion or experience with traveling to the Uk?

This sort of surgery is obviously a massive decision for anybody to undertake, Any input or information would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annoyingnose

Hi there! I am also looking to get a rhinoplasty here in Ireland. I've been researching and am thinking about booking a consultation with Dr Munish Shandilya. I have seen a few reviews and tho one or 2 sound very commercial I still believe that he is a good well known surgeon in Ireland.
    Some of the reviews I saw looked very legit and there wasn't any bad ones.
    I figure that having a consultation can't do any harm and if I am not satisfied then at least I'm a little bit closer to finding the right surgeon! I can't find much about rhinoplasty in Ireland and I have researched the surgeons found on that website you gave in your post and I couldn't really get good feedback on any of them? There was some but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 awkwardnose

What surgeons on the website I linked to did you find good feed back?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Oh come on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annoyingnose

Dr Michael J Earley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Johanna3

Hi pps, any please recommend a good rhinoplasty surgeon in Ireland. I am getting this done for cosmetic reasons.

I never really got any good information on this, or any reliable referrals. I wont be looking into getting it done for at least another year, so hopefully there will be more information readily available for me then. I still think traveling for this procedure might be the best option, but were to travel to... I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johanna3

Thanks for the response. Yes it seems to be very difficult to get good info on irish based surgeons. I had booked to have this done with an English surgeon in 2012 but the logistics of it became a bit of a nightmare. I would have had to stay in a hotel in London for a week and then the trips over and back. At the time finance wasn't the issue but I did not want to tell anyone I was getting it done so I would have had to come up with an excuse to disappear for a week. In the end I cancelled it. I would consider going to this surgeon as he seemed very good but could not afford him at the mo
    I was hoping to find an irish surgeon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I've got a consultation scheduled with Mr Eoin O'Broin in the Elysian in Cork in August. He works between the CUH and the Elysian.

From his page on the CUH website he would appear to be very experienced but I will be asking plenty questions as to how often he does the procedure and how many times over all and how many times has he done one like I will need.

I will let you know how I get on.

Personally I would rather have it done in ireland just in case there were any complications overseas travel back and forth would be a very inconvenient addition to the mix and add cost to an already large outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

I've got a consultation scheduled with Mr Eoin O'Broin in the Elysian in Cork in August. He works between the CUH and the Elysian.

From his page on the CUH website he would appear to be very experienced but I will be asking plenty questions as to how often he does the procedure and how many times over all and how many times has he done one like I will need.

I will let you know how I get on.

Personally I would rather have it done in ireland just in case there were any complications overseas travel back and forth would be a very inconvenient addition to the mix and add cost to an already large outlay.

I did have the same issue when I first started looking but I'd be comfortable anywhere in the UK. I have some friends in Scotland that offered me a place to sleep if I happened to get my nose done over there.
    Flights to the UK are pretty cheap with Ryanair (€20 return:eek:)

I hope he's everything you want him to be. You can tell us how amazing he is and then we'll all follow suite :p

I never really got any good information on this, or any reliable referrals. I wont be looking into getting it done for at least another year, so hopefully there will be more information readily available for me then.

You'll be in the same situation next year I believe. I've been poking my nose around since 2012, trying to find someone that won't butcher my nose and I'm still looking. I'm starting to think an extra year for information will just leave you disappointed again. It's been disappointing me that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I hope he's everything you want him to be. You can tell us how amazing he is and then we'll all follow suite

What?
    What's that supposed to mean? :confused::confused:

I'm only giving my opinion so far, I don't understand you PA tone?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

What?
    What's that supposed to mean? :confused::confused:

I'm only giving my opinion so far, I don't understand you PA tone?

If he's good and you're pleased with the result, I and I think others will be more confident in getting it done/seeing him. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is that he doesn't just do Rhinoplasty. He seems to do a bit of everything... so how well do you expect him to treat your nose?

I'd be more confident in someone who was used to noses and has an extensive background in just Rhinoplasty.

You'll be in the same situation next year I believe. I've been poking my nose around since 2012, trying to find someone that won't butcher my nose and I'm still looking. I'm starting to think an extra year for information will just leave you disappointed again. It's been disappointing me that's for sure.

Yeah, you're probably right, I'm actually poking around again at the moment, the lack of information is astounding, I can only assume this boils down to Ireland not being a great place to get it done.

I'd love to hear how that goes.

Yeah, you're probably right, I'm actually poking around again at the moment, the lack of information is astounding, I can only assume this boils down to Ireland not being a great place to get it done.

I'd love to hear how that goes.
    Thanks for the response. Yes it seems to be very difficult to get good info on irish based surgeons. I had booked to have this done with an English surgeon in 2012 but the logistics of it became a bit of a nightmare. I would have had to stay in a hotel in London for a week and then the trips over and back. At the time finance wasn't the issue but I did not want to tell anyone I was getting it done so I would have had to come up with an excuse to disappear for a week. In the end I cancelled it. I would consider going to this surgeon as he seemed very good but could not afford him at the mo
    I was hoping to find an irish surgeon

Who was the surgeon in the UK you were considering?

@Chemical Byrne

How did the consultation go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I am male. I had badly twisted nose and septum for many years. I had surgery done by Eoin O'Broin in 2017. It made a massive improvement and I was mostly happy with the result. However, such was the invasiveness of the surgery I was very swollen afterwards for a week or so. Bones had to be broken, trimmed and reset and the septum was so deformed it had to be totally removed, cut up, stiched to a dissolvable scaffold and then reinserted.

Unfortunately it seems that the swelling displaced some of the tip cartilage downwards and I ended up with a slightly drooping tip to my nose. Nothing anyone would notice or think was abnormbut it was a lower tip than what would be considered the ideal male nose. Nothing major and in the main, I was very happy with the result and it was a huge improvement.

At a follow up appointment a year later we discussed a revision procedure to improve the shape of the tip and lift up the displaced cartilage. I decided to go with this and the fee was very reasonable. Although it was another open rhinoplasty, it was far less invasive by comparison as only the tip cartilage was adjusted and the post operative swelling was minimal compared to the initial surgery.

This surgery was 6 weeks ago now. So far, it looks like a good success. My nose is straight, the tip is in it's intended position, the horrible big hump I had on my nose is gone, I can breath through both nostrils fine and swelling has mostly subsided now. I'm much more confident in my appearance.

It all cost me about €7,500.

Advertisement