Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name male, female or both?

• 21-07-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello!

I just wanted to ask you if "Conamara" is only used as a name for females or also males or even both genders?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've only heard of Connemara as the name of a region of Ireland, never heard of either it or Conamara being used as a person's name, but there's no law against it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 timelilie

Hi, no it is for a future dog (next month) ;D I was just wondering, since I have only seen it on the internet as a girl's name! :D But thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Never heard of it as a name, but test it out before you commit.

"Conamara (sp?) come here!"
    "Conamara stop!"
    "No Conamara!"

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I would say more feminine, and keep in mind you will prob end up shortening to to Connie or something of the likes.
    Whenever I name I furbaby I test all the possible shortenings as well because I know I'll end up using them just as often!

Congrats on the impending arrival :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The ideal name for a dog has two syllables and ends in a vowel ...much easier to shout after your dog as it runs a away :D easier to modulate for praise/correction/ getting attention and a much better chance of the dog reacting to it.

co-na-ma-ra is too long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Patch, ye cant go wrong with Patch - except when the dog is white, or black of course, otherwise Patch is yer man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

With a name like Conamara would you just end up saying 'Con' all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I know you didn't ask but I met a lady the other day and her dog was called Dash. I thought it was a lovely name and if I had another pet that's what I call her/him.
    My girls are called breeva, nala and Lara. All short and two syallables.
    Lucky you, make sure to post some pics when she arrives.

Hi, it is gonna be a "he" :)
    A Chihuahua, just about one more month, but already really excited :)

Are there some other name suggestions? :) I also thought about Charlie but it is so difficult to make a decision! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

timelilie wrote: »
    Are there some other name suggestions? :) I also thought about Charlie but it is so difficult to make a decision! :D

We were driving ourselves nuts naming our two. We settled on 2 rules...

1. Had to be 4 letters.
    2. Had to be a persons name.

We have 2 huskies... Hugo and Jack... And their names suit them perfectly!

Jack was supposed to be a girl, so here are the 2 female names we had in the running

Maya

Indi

Like others have said, short and sweet... One or two syllables. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I know you didn't ask but I met a lady the other day and her dog was called Dash. I thought it was a lovely name and if I had another pet that's what I call her/him.
    My girls are called breeva, nala and Lara. All short and two syallables.
    Lucky you, make sure to post some pics when she arrives.
    We had two dogs when I was younger called Dot and Dash! We also had Madra (Irish for dog) I thought that was nice although we did live abroad at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

timelilie wrote: »
    Hi, it is gonna be a "he" :)
    A Chihuahua, just about one more month, but already really excited :)

A Chihuahua HAS to be called "Pablo" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Or Jorge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

peasant wrote: »
    A Chihuahua HAS to be called "Pablo" :D

Or....

Taco
    or
    Nacho
    or
    Salsa

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Mara or con is probably what you'll end up with id say :)
    I called my dog cujo and I just call him cú all the time... That extra syllabal is so time consuming :P
    But cú is also the Irish for hound so it kinda works as a name in it's own right.
    I think Connemara, while being long winded is undoubtably gender neutral since it's such an out of the way and seldom if ever used name

Advertisement