Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One eyed horse

Options
  • 21-07-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a white cob that I got about 3 months ago, I was told she was bombproof, even with her blind eye, I do not know how she became blind, she had not been ridden since she lost the eye. I've just been riding her around a sand ring, mostly walking, trotting and cantering. On her blind side there was a tiny bit of eye but recently that has sunken and completely gone. She's always been quite spooky looking at certain things but lately since the eye fully went she shys for no reason and at little things that shouldn't bother her, I don't know what to do! I don't know if she's suitable anymore but I don't want to let her go :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Did you have her vetted before you bought her?

It sounds like you really need to get her eye or the socket that remains checked out to make sure she isn't in any pain. I don't really understand how she had 'a bit of an eye'. Either it was removed properly at some point, or she was born with a deformity like microthalmia, I've never heard of it in a horse, but in small animals, 'the small eye' often needs to be removed to prevent complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Reebeccaoleary

Rips wrote: »
    She was given to me by a man my neighbour knows, she had been going around a field with a few other horses for 2 years, whether she was kicked or she poked the eye with a stick or it was a fungus or something like that I am not sure. My aunts a vetinary nurse and she looked at it, she doesn't think the horse is in pain with it.

How do you tell by just looking at it whether the horse is it pain or not?
    The horse may have pain at some point and not at others? It this was an injury, there may have been damage to internal structures which are still causing pain while the socket has healed over?

Where has the 'eye' gone???

I'd suggest that if the appearance of the socket or 'eye' is changing, as in, there was an eye, and now - there isn't, its highly likely there is some pain there.

Does the horse have eyelashes? Did it have eyelashes? Do you have a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Reebeccaoleary

Rips wrote: »
    How do you tell by just looking at it whether the horse is it pain or not?
    The horse may have pain at some point and not at others? It this was an injury, there may have been damage to internal structures which are still causing pain while the socket has healed over?

Where has the 'eye' gone???

I'd suggest that if the appearance of the socket or 'eye' is changing, as in, there was an eye, and now - there isn't, its highly likely there is some pain there.

Does the horse have eyelashes? Did it have eyelashes? Do you have a photo?

I don't even know when she lost the eye , it could of been when she was in the field or if she lost it before then when she was being ridden by her previous owner, apparently she hunted previously.
    She had a bit of white in the upper part of the socket, now the white has gone and it is just black with a blue cloud. Yes she has eyelashes.
    If it was causing her pain would she not show other physical signs such as her ears pulled fully back etc?
    My problem with her is her looking at things and spooking, other than that she's perfect.

mod edit: <snip>

There are many other diseases and complications of the eye that look the same though.

Even it isn't a painful condition, a clouded eye will cause you more problems then if the eye was taken out altogether, as she may see shapes or shadows which then cause her to spook. And you say she has started to spook since the eye turned cloudy?

If she has had this for a long time then she probably has become accustomed to constant pain and doesn't go round with her ears pinned back. That doesn't mean she isn't in pain though.

I really can't stress enough how important I think it is that this horse is seen by an experienced equine vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I don't even know when she lost the eye , it could of been when she was in the field or if she lost it before then when she was being ridden by her previous owner, apparently she hunted previously.
    She had a bit of white in the upper part of the socket, now the white has gone and it is just black with a blue cloud. Yes she has eyelashes.
    If it was causing her pain would she not show other physical signs such as her ears pulled fully back etc?
    My problem with her is her looking at things and spooking, other than that she's perfect.

Horses can cope with pain. But not so much with fear.
    That's why a horse can go on.for a while after sustaining a broken leg or a serious injury.

Spooking is a major concern then if she's just started it

She's telling you it's not safe there is something there that's bothering me I'm afraid and I hAve you on my back to cope with too

Get thepoor horse checked out by the vet.
    Was this the reason why she was pawned off on you.

It could work out costly but you can't have her in pain

That's why I'd always be dubious about a " free to good home " or a well bred horse for small money.

Best thing is to get treatment for her.

I know of two ponies that adapted well to one sided blindness but then it took time to work up courage and trust

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Just a reminder that we can't give veterinary advice. If in doubt, it is recommended that you contact your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Other than getting the horse checked out by the vet, I'd just like to say that if you plan on working with her again, remember that since she wasn't born blind, then you will most likely have to reintroduce her to everything that she was previously fine with because it's all going to be new to her. She might have been bombproof before, but that doesn't mean she is now. It's hateful being given something that isn't what is was meant to be but she can adapt. It will just take time and patience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 ScienceKing

Mod edit <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

How would you cope if you lost an eye? Things like seemed easy to you before might seem a bit tricker without one eye!

Everyone has mentioned that you should seek vet advice & I think that is the most sensible thing to do in any situation where something has altered with your horse - even if they dont seem in pain, in the long run you should be saving yourself a fortune for a quick consultation to solve something small rather than leaving it & having it escalate into something more serious and costing you thousands.

You say you want to keep her - so therefore you are going to have to be a bit more compassionate to the poor horse who has lost an eye, she is afraid & is looking to you for reassurance and support, not to be told she is being stupid & should cop on. Give her some time & a bit of training & she will blossom again.

Why not spend a bit of time with her on the ground, rewarding her was being brave with some treats & use your voice to reassure her. Then when you are in the saddle, you can use voice commands to reassure her its ok & she will learn to trust you as her extra eye :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement