Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with boss.

Options
  • 21-07-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I just want to get people's opinions on how best to deal with my boss. Before I start, it is probably important to mention that I work for a small company, with no HR department.

So, a few months ago, we undertook a new project in partnership with another company. On commencing this project, my manager was extremely positive, claiming that this product was going to be the solution to all our project management problems. It transpired later that the product had never been evaluated or even seen prior to undertaking the project. As part of the project, we have to liaise with another company. Alas, our point of contact in that company has proven to be extremely difficult to deal with, for him. The other day, I mentioned that he needed to get certain information about the product from the company. He then requested that I contact the other company, as "he doesn't really want to deal with them anymore".

As time has progressed and the realization that the product doesn't really meet our needs has come to the fore, he has been distancing himself from the project more and more. He constantly keeps asking questions about what this product can and cannot do, even though he knows it's limitations. It has less functionality than the existing product.

Finally, last month I requested a day's leave to go for a medical check-up. I included a brief explanation in my request. He called me into his office and asked for the real reason why I wanted leave. He asked me if I was going for an interview for a new job. I explained my genuine medical reason in detail, which he accepted. He said he was concerned that I was going to move on elsewhere.

Any advance would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Advice on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It's none of your boss's business what you take your annual leave for. So what even if you were going for an interview?

With regards to your project, have you had a meeting to discuss how the product is not suitable now that everyone knows more about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Regarding the leave other posters are right. It's really none of his business why you are taking it. Really by explaining it your setting the expectation that in future you'll explain all leave, I'd disagree with that.

Regarding the project. Have you spoken openly to your manager about your observations. Have you documented in detail what you see as the downsides if this project. Maybe they haven't your insight and still haven't realised it's a pigs ear rather than a silk purse. If he won't listen is there a next step up you could bring your concerns to?? You could CC an email to a higher manager as a curtsy to them an that would get a dialogue going.
    I'd consider it as a failure on your behalf if you just plough on and don't escalate the issues with the project!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

_Brian wrote: »
    Regarding the leave other posters are right. It's really none of his business why you are taking it. Really by explaining it your setting the expectation that in future you'll explain all leave, I'd disagree with that.

Regarding the project. Have you spoken openly to your manager about your observations. Have you documented in detail what you see as the downsides if this project. Maybe they haven't your insight and still haven't realised it's a pigs ear rather than a silk purse. If he won't listen is there a next step up you could bring your concerns to?? You could CC an email to a higher manager as a curtsy to them an that would get a dialogue going.
    I'd consider it as a failure on your behalf if you just plough on and don't escalate the issues with the project!!

I would not recommend performing a curtsy in the workplace. However, sending an email to your manager as a courtesy sounds like a good idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

Kirby wrote: »
    I would not recommend performing a curtsy in the workplace. However, sending an email to your manager as a courtesy sounds like a good idea. :)

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Kirby wrote: »

Were all saved lads.
    The grammar police are at hand !!

Advertisement