Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/easiest way to get around in Dublin w/ dog?

• 21-07-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

What is the cheapest and easiest way to get around in Dublin with a dog? I know they are not allowed on buses (most of the time, at the drivers discretion). Taxi do allow them, provided you "warn" them beforehand as far as I've understood, but they are quite expensive. Unfortunately I don't have the means to buy a car right now..

Anyone have any other ideas I've never thought of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What size is the dog?

If small enough you can put them into a bag like carrier and bring them on the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 phoenixx90

It's a miniature schnauzer and he's roughly 10kg so 20 pounds. He looks very cute, does that help?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

phoenixx90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

What is the cheapest and easiest way to get around in Dublin with a dog? I know they are not allowed on buses (most of the time, at the drivers discretion). Taxi do allow them, provided you "warn" them beforehand as far as I've understood, but they are quite expensive. Unfortunately I don't have the means to buy a car right now..

Anyone have any other ideas I've never thought of?

To be fair its not at the drivers discretion,its company policy for Dublin Bus and bus Eireann.Its not the drivers decision.

Oh right, sorry. I thought I read on their website that it was at the drivers discretion. *Googles

"Animals other than guide dogs are carried on Dublin bus services at the discretion of the driver. According the by-laws governing Dublin Bus, you cannot bring an animal onto the bus if an authorised person (i.e., driver or inspector) asks you not to do so."
    According to the citizens information website. I'm not allowed to post links so I cannot give you the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

An enclosed bike trailer?

• Advertisement

It's a miniature schnauzer and he's roughly 10kg so 20 pounds. He looks very cute, does that help?! :D

He sounds really cute.

What about something like this

casual-canine-ultimate-backpack-pet-carrier-blue-1.jpg

or if he's a bit heavy to carry for long

Wheel_Around_Pet_Carrier.jpg

I'd imagine that if you trained him to like it, you could bring him on busses in it too, so long as he's not out of the bag and is quiet who'd know :D

Rips wrote: »
    *picture*

That looks awesome! Only problem is.. I'll be moving to Dublin by plane so I cannot bring my bike. I could buy a new one while there, something I was planning on doing anyway, and then I might as well look at a bike trailer!

Cannot quote the link.. not enough posts

Whispered wrote: »
    He sounds really cute.

What about something like this

*picture*

or if he's a bit heavy to carry for long

*picture*

I'd imagine that if you trained him to like it, you could bring him on busses in it too, so long as he's not out of the bag and is quiet who'd know :D

Haha that looks epic! He wouldn't have any trouble staying inside any sort of bag or carrier because he's been trained to stay in a crate and a stroller (when he was very young and we'd go on very long walks).

Are bus drivers really that "difficult" (for lack of another word) or are they more willing to let a small dog on board providing that I keep him in my lap? I know that over here, in the Netherlands where I'm moving from, dogs are also let on at the drivers discretion but I've never come across one that told me "no, I do not want you on this bus with your dog".

That looks awesome! Only problem is.. I'll be moving to Dublin by plane so I cannot bring my bike. I could buy a new one while there, something I was planning on doing anyway, and then I might as well look at a bike trailer!

Cannot quote the link.. not enough posts

You can also bring small dogs on Irish rail trains (if leaving the city)
    Not sure about the Dart (intercity train)

• Advertisement

Well its good to know I can bring him on Irish Rail trains, that's at least something :D

I also found dog strollers, how about those? He'd be in a sort-of-cage... haha

I don't think they would be happy for you to have him on your knee and would probably allow him on in the bag so long as they didn't notice :( It's not ideal really.

Are you familiar with Dublin? The city centre isn't really that big and a lot of places in the centre are within walking distance. The LUAS is handy for getting to some places and again you can bring dogs on, some people do bring them on just leads, but I'd recommend a bag just in case. Also they can get quite crowded so a bag would be safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dublin Bus and any other operater must take a Guide Dog and it is up to the driver whether they allow any other type of dog on.

I had a guide dog on before and had this one giving me grief about it and another one screaming down the back. I drive for db.

I don't think they would be happy for you to have him on your knee and would probably allow him on in the bag so long as they didn't notice :( It's not ideal really.

Are you familiar with Dublin? The city centre isn't really that big and a lot of places in the centre are within walking distance. The LUAS is handy for getting to some places and again you can bring dogs on, some people do bring them on just leads, but I'd recommend a bag just in case. Also they can get quite crowded so a bag would be safer.

Fair enough! I am, I will be staying in Templelogue for the first week and from there I'll be looking at places I could possibly be staying. Some of them are in Swords but walking from Templelogue to Swords isn't really ideal, I guess? It seems quite far!

Thanks for the help so far, everyone! :D

Dublin Bus and any other operater must take a Guide Dog and it is up to the driver whether they allow any other type of dog on.

I had a guide dog on before and had this one giving me grief about it and another one screaming down the back. I drive for db.

Thanks, punisher5112! It's a shame people behave like that, even if it's a real guide dog. They should be allowed into/onto anything as far as I'm concerned. I could always try, give them my best smile and make my doggy wag his tail I suppose..

Maybe calling a cab is a safer bet! Although more expensive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks, punisher5112! It's a shame people behave like that, even if it's a real guide dog. They should be allowed into/onto anything as far as I'm concerned. I could always try, give them my best smile and make my doggy wag his tail I suppose..

One thing you could try is calling the garage specific to the bus route and just ask would it be ok on such a bus at such a time it would be worth a try if worried you would be left standing there.

One thing you could try is calling the garage specific to the bus route and just ask would it be ok on such a bus at such a time it would be worth a try if worried you would be left standing there.

I've heard of that happening to people so it's definitely worth a try! Thanks for the idea :D

Just in case you are moving to the city there is a pet taxi service, unfortunately I don't know the number.

The driver is called 'Patsy' and he has little business cards called 'Patsy's Pet Taxi'. He's not available but he covers north and south and usually helps out people bringing their animals to the vet. He tends to help out the elderly and so charges reasonably...

Good to look into to have a phone number in case of emergency.

Just in case you are moving to the city there is a pet taxi service, unfortunately I don't know the number.

The driver is called 'Patsy' and he has little business cards called 'Patsy's Pet Taxi'. He's not available but he covers north and south and usually helps out people bringing their animals to the vet. He tends to help out the elderly and so charges reasonably...

Good to look into to have a phone number in case of emergency.

That's grand, thanks so much! I did a quick Google search and I found his phone number, I'll save that in my phone and quietly hope I'll never need it. :D

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    *amazon link*

Woops, missed your post! We have something like that at home unfortunately my dog is just too big to fit in there :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

...... Only problem is.. I'll be moving to Dublin by plane so I cannot bring my bike.......

A bit O/T but why not ? Has a airline refused it as baggage ?

Another O/T aside, if you are new in Dublin would http://www.gocar.ie/ have any attraction to you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Well its good to know I can bring him on Irish Rail trains, that's at least something :D

I also found dog strollers, how about those? He'd be in a sort-of-cage... haha

Just to add to this re Irish Rail.
    I recently enquired about travelling with 2 miniature dachshund puppies.
    Their website is very vague so I e-mailed them the following: Could you please explain what is meant by "if a pet is found occupying a seat you will be fined"? Does this mean that even if I buy a ticket for the seat beside me to keep my dog crate on I could be fined? It is unclear from the information on the website.

Could you also advise if there would be any possibility of being refused travel on the day? As I'm sure you can imagine it would be a huge inconvenience, when travelling with pets, to arrive at the station and be refused for some reason."

I was told that even if you have paid for a seat to put the crate on you can be asked to move it at any time for any reason.
    I was also told that travel is at the discretion of the station staff and they can refuse travel without having to give a reason.

Their website is very vague so I e-mailed them the following: Could you please explain what is meant by "if a pet is found occupying a seat you will be fined"? Does this mean that even if I buy a ticket for the seat beside me to keep my dog crate on I could be fined? It is unclear from the information on the website.

Could you also advise if there would be any possibility of being refused travel on the day? As I'm sure you can imagine it would be a huge inconvenience, when travelling with pets, to arrive at the station and be refused for some reason."

I was told that even if you have paid for a seat to put the crate on you can be asked to move it at any time for any reason.
    I was also told that travel is at the discretion of the station staff and they can refuse travel without having to give a reason.

Personally, I think its probably just to give them a bit of leeway in case they get someone trying to bring on a dog that's badly behaved or going to cause a nuisance to other passengers.

I've travelled with both cats and small dogs on the train many times and I've never had an issue.

I have avoided peak times/trains (where its difficult to get a seat for yourself!!) but otherwise I've never had an issue.

No-one even bats an eyelid.

My cat I usually keep in the carrier on the seat beside me, I always ask the other passengers if they mind and I'd move if someone needed the seat, small dogs were happy to sit on my lap or lie at my feet under the table.

I've also boarded with both carrier and litter box (which looks like a carrier) and stored the litter box in the luggage rack at the end, and again, no-one has said anything.

I don't really know *how* they allow it TBH - imagine someone in the carraige had a cat allergy? So I don't ask too many questions, while they allow it, great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

About 10/15 years ago I had no problem taking dogs on Dublin Bus. However, in recent years it seems that every driver refuses to allow them on. When I found a small dog straying a few years ago (who is now mine), I bought a lead in a nearby shop and was refused by three buses, so I had to hail a cab. I tried with him one other time and was refused so never bothered again. Bus Eireann is a definite no-no in all circumstances.

I've never had a problem on the DART with a small dog. I've had the terriers on it loads of times and it was fine. Info about train travel is on
    http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

I've only ever had positive experiences from rail staff. One time as I arrived into Tara Street station to get a DART with one of the terriers, one of the ticket guys called me over...to advise me to pick up the dog before getting on the escalator (not that I needed to be told that, but fair play to him).

The LUAS allows dogs in crates only. A few years ago they wouldn't allow them at all. I've never had a problem getting a cab either, with one of the little dogs. I've had to hail them on a few occasions with my terrier boy and it's always been fine.

One item that may be useful would be a soft, foldable travel crate. There are a few examples here
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/folding_dog_kennels

That way, you could have it folded up in a bag and then use it when you need it...eg just before getting on a LUAS

0lddog wrote: »
    A bit O/T but why not ? Has a airline refused it as baggage ?

Another O/T aside, if you are new in Dublin would *gocar link* have any attraction to you ?

I looked into gocar, that is such a good idea!! I won't do that from the start because I feel I need to take one or two driving lessons before getting in a left-hand-driven car but once I've done that I will definitely make use of that :D

Haha no they havent but I'll be moving with two suitcases and a kennel with dog so my hands will be more than full, my parents will probably drive over to Ireland sometime later this year and they'll be able to bring it over at that moment.

Ok, fair enough. I could imagine that if I got on the train with a barking, snarling dog they'd kick me off but my dog is pretty well behaved AND he is hypoallergenic (my dad is severly allergic to all pets but does not react to my dog at all and he's lived in the same house as him for nearly two years) :D Fingers crossed in that case and hope for the best. I think it'd be better to travel with pets during off peak hours anyway, there'd be less people on the train :D

EDIT

I hadn't read Rips reply yet.. we basically said the same, sorry :$

mosi wrote: »
    About 10/15 years ago I had no problem taking dogs on Dublin Bus. However, in recent years it seems that every driver refuses to allow them on. When I found a small dog straying a few years ago (who is now mine), I bought a lead in a nearby shop and was refused by three buses, so I had to hail a cab. I tried with him one other time and was refused so never bothered again. Bus Eireann is a definite no-no in all circumstances.

I've never had a problem on the DART with a small dog. I've had the terriers on it loads of times and it was fine. Info about train travel is on *link*

I've only ever had positive experiences from rail staff. One time as I arrived into Tara Street station to get a DART with one of the terriers, one of the ticket guys called me over...to advise me to pick up the dog before getting on the escalator (not that I needed to be told that, but fair play to him).

The LUAS allows dogs in crates only. A few years ago they wouldn't allow them at all. I've never had a problem getting a cab either, with one of the little dogs. I've had to hail them on a few occasions with my terrier boy and it's always been fine.

One item that may be useful would be a soft, foldable travel crate. There are a few examples here *link*

That way, you could have it folded up in a bag and then use it when you need it...eg just before getting on a LUAS

Thanks so much for the info, Mosi! I will try getting on the bus but if I keep being unsuccesfull I'll just stick to cabs. :D I'll look at that link and see if I can find any that fit my dog. He is a miniature schnauzer but still quite "big" for a miniature schnauzer so most of the time he doesn't fit in the crates meant for lap dogs and dogs that are easy to carry.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the help so far, I'm very grateful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

The Luas don't let you on with dogs unfortunately! Its ridiculous that nearly all the public transport in Dublin do not let you bring on bring dogs. Even just to have a specific seating area or section of the luas that IF people come on with dogs, that they stay in their designated area. That way people with allergies or scared of dogs wont have to sit near them.

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    The Luas don't let you on with dogs unfortunately! Its ridiculous that nearly all the public transport in Dublin do not let you bring on bring dogs. Even just to have a specific seating area or section of the luas that IF people come on with dogs, that they stay in their designated area. That way people with allergies or scared of dogs wont have to sit near them.

I'm nearly sure they do. I know a girl who travels with her dog very regularly on the Luas. She has him in a bag most of the time and has never had trouble. And wasn't there a dog killed recently when the door closed on the lead leaving him on the other side of the door to this owners.

A designated area for dogs sounds like a great idea.

Advertisement