Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/easiest way to get around in Dublin w/ dog?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Ashbx wrote: »
    The Luas don't let you on with dogs unfortunately! Its ridiculous that nearly all the public transport in Dublin do not let you bring on bring dogs. Even just to have a specific seating area or section of the luas that IF people come on with dogs, that they stay in their designated area. That way people with allergies or scared of dogs wont have to sit near them.

The Luas allows dogs as long as they are in a carrier. There used to be a banket ban on dogs travelling but that was changed a couple of years ago.
    http://www.luas.ie/faqs.html#faq10
    Are animals allowed on Luas?

Guide Dogs are allowed on Luas. Other dogs and animals are allowed on the tram provided they are in an appropriate enclosed pet carrier case / box. Their travel is at the discretion of Luas Staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure they do. I know a girl who travels with her dog very regularly on the Luas. She has him in a bag most of the time and has never had trouble. And wasn't there a dog killed recently when the door closed on the lead leaving him on the other side of the door to this owners.

A designated area for dogs sounds like a great idea.

Oh really? I didn't hear that about the dog! That's awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

mosi wrote: »
    The Luas allows dogs as long as they are in a carrier. There used to be a banket ban on dogs travelling but that was changed a couple of years ago.
    http://www.luas.ie/faqs.html#faq10

Its great they changed it! If only Dublin Bus were a bit more obliging and we would all be happy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh really? I didn't hear that about the dog! That's awful!

I think that's what happened anyway. I vaguely remember reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

It's an awful shame that they're so sticky about animal travel in Ireland. I've been to Germany a good few times and dogs can go with you everywhere - trains, buses etc once they're on a lead & muzzled on a bus! I do understand how they need to be in a carrier on the likes of the LUAS especially when it's packed for the safety of the dog being stepped on & the person who steps on it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 phoenixx90

Its great they changed it! If only Dublin Bus were a bit more obliging and we would all be happy! :)

Ha, yes! :( Maybe it'll happen.. someday!

Misschoo - it's the same over here. We can basically bring our dog on any form of public transport providing that the dog behaves. I think it would be harder if you have a big dog (say a German Shephard) but if you have a small dog everyone's mostly OK with it. I'm definitely going to look for a pet carrier for Bo!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

I never had any issues with bringing my two Westies (not in a carrier) on the dart or luas or dublin bus. For the bus I have always asked nicley the driver and never got refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 phoenixx90

I never had any issues with bringing my two Westies (not in a carrier) on the dart or luas or dublin bus. For the bus I have always asked nicley the driver and never got refused.

Good to hear a positive response! One can always try of course, there's no harm in trying ;) I suppose it also depends on the size of the dogs, I can fully understand they are more inclined to let a Westie on than a massive Shepherd (no offense to any Shepherd owners obviously!).

Just a few more days until I can give it a shot! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

misschoo wrote: »
    It's an awful shame that they're so sticky about animal travel in Ireland. I've been to Germany a good few times and dogs can go with you everywhere - trains, buses etc once they're on a lead & muzzled on a bus!

The mad thing is that this is a relatively recent change in Ireland; until perhaps 15 years ago the norm was that dogs could travel on buses, if they were upstairs (which was also the only area where people were allowed to smoke).

It's really lousy, and I have no doubt that it increases traffic -- some people keep cars mainly so they can travel with their dogs, who'd take them on buses otherwise.

And the occasional leeway for small dogs is equally silly - I can't bring my old softie of a collie-labrador mongrel on the bus because she's a big(gish) girl.

Advertisement