Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name - dispute

Options
  • 21-07-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I had a baby girl on the 23rd of last month, and called her Kaylah. My sister has a 15 month out...and it's recently come to light that she is upset at the choice of name we picked. Her little girl is called Nyla...believing that these names are very similar.

We're not sure what to do...we don't think that they similar at al..apart from
    Maybe the ending. Looking for some independent feedback of your thoughts and views on this, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

They're not similar at all! The baby is here now and that's her name. You can't change it at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tell your sister to grow up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

they are somewhat similar but not drastically so. Possibly the reason she has her knickers in a twist is she was planning on naming further children with names ending -lah as a kind of theme and now feels like thats been scuppered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Rugger13 wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife and I had a baby girl on the 23rd of last month, and called her Kaylah. My sister has a 15 month out...and it's recently come to light that she is upset at the choice of name we picked. Her little girl is called Nyla...believing that these names are very similar.

Maybe the ending. Looking for some independent feedback of your thoughts and views on this, thanks!

Do you live next door to each other?
    Will they attend the same school do they have the same surname?

We called our first Sarah it was only about 6 months after my husband remembered his sister said she wanted to call her baby Sarah too.
    He totally forgot
    She had a girl 2 yrs later called her Sarah too.
    She l get over it.
    It does not bother me at all

There's an age gap and there will be children throughout their lives with the same name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

Mothers of babies are frequently hormonal and unreasonable (from personal experience). Don't take it personally, apologise once that she is upset, you didn't think the names were that similar and leave it at that. She'll stew over it and with a bit of time she'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

Hi,

Ask would your sister mind changing her litlle one's name! They are not that similar and she should just get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

Hi,

Ask would your sister mind changing her litlle one's name! They are not that similar and she should just get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rugger13

monflat wrote: »
    Do you live next door to each other?
    Will they attend the same school do they have the same surname?

We called our first Sarah it was only about 6 months after my husband remembered his sister said she wanted to call her baby Sarah too.
    He totally forgot
    She had a girl 2 yrs later called her Sarah too.
    She l get over it.
    It does not bother me at all

There's an age gap and there will be children throughout their lives with the same name!

No, different surnames and we don't live in the same area either. Thanks for ur reply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Get down on your knees, beg her "Darling, please - darling, won't you ease your worried mind?"

Ficheall wrote: »
    Get down on your knees, beg her "Darling, please - darling, won't you ease your worried mind?"

emmm wrong name! (the song is layla! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They're not similar at all! The baby is here now and that's her name. You can't change it at this stage!!

Actually, you can, one can change a name by deed poll.

I am not advocating this, but it is possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Acknowledge that your sister has her feelings, but .......... that's it.

Just one of those things.

I don't think the names are alike myself.

Actually, you can, one can change a name by deed poll.

I am not advocating this, but it is possible...

you don't even have to do that....Ireland recognises common usage of a name. so OP ask your sister what she would like you to change your daughters name to and then start calling her that. Problem solved. cos that wouldn't be weird or unreasonable at sll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

emmm wrong name! (the song is layla! )

I've no idea what you're talking about - I was referring to the OP's problem of how he has a new-born daughter and his sister-in-law has raised the complaint that she don't like, she don't like, she don't like her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Never heard then name Nyla before... Have to say not a fan.. Sounds like one of those old farmer words you hear thrown about now and again.
    Your sister is being an eejit you think she'd be happy she has a (presumably) healthy child instead of bitchin about the supposed similarity of the names.
    Shur there's 4 Sarahs in my family and no one cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I'm guessing your sister has too much time on her hands. Has she always been this self centred??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

She's an idiot who has little to be worrying about. The names aren't similar and if she's going to be as precious about everything to do with her daughter, the poor child is going to be tortured.

By the way, was her child the first grandchild in the family? She might be put out that the attention is on someone else's baby.

Thanks for the replies so far folks, has just backed up our initial thoughts when we first heard she wasn't happy with the choice we had made. Honestly didn't think Kaylah was in anyway too similar to name she had chosen. It's always good to get some imparshal opinions, thanks again.

She's an idiot who has little to be worrying about. The names aren't similar and if she's going to be as precious about everything to do with her daughter, the poor child is going to be tortured.

By the way, was her child the first grandchild in the family? She might be put out that the attention is on someone else's baby.

Yes her child was the first grandchild, but my other brother has since had a little boy (7months)..so ours is the second girl in the family.

Yes her child was the first grandchild, but my other brother has since had a little boy (7months)..so ours is the second girl in the family.

Well, then, I don't think the name is the issue. She's put out that the attention is off her little girl and probably paranoid that they will be compared to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Don't be annoyed or angry with her, personally I do think they sound similar, if I am saying them as I think they sound. Nigh la and ki lah, is that how they sound?
    If I were you I would speak to her, say you didn't see any similarity yourself and go from there. I wouldn't apologise as you have a right to call your child any name you like (within reason ;-) )

Hopefully ye can get over this and not fall out or have any bad feelings over it.

Maybe it's a guy thing but what if they DID sound alike?? What does it matter??

As an aside I went to school with cousins with the SAME name often the grandparent . It used to be the done thing.

Don't be annoyed or angry with her, personally I do think they sound similar, if I am saying them as I think they sound. Nigh la and ki lah, is that how they sound?

I would have assumed they were Nigh-la and Kay-lah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I would have assumed they were Nigh-la and Kay-lah

Yes you're probably right, don't think it will be the last time her name is pronounced incorrectly.

Yes...they are pronounced Nigh-la and Kay-lah. I could possibilty see her point if it was Kil-ah.

But OP why would it matter if they DID sound the same ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I can't see what the big deal with having the same/similar names is :confused: After I had my little boy, I got the third degree from my mother's cousin who had barely announced her own pregnancy because she had picked the same name for her unborn child. She literally assaulted me with questions- when exactly did I choose the name, did it have any sentimental significance etc. She all but accused me of delving into her brain and stealing the name (as nobody except herself knew she was pregnant at the time I gave birth). I told her to cop on and get over herself and that it was none of her business what I called my child, just like it would be none of my business what she called hers. I couldn't give 2 hoots what other people name their kids, why should it matter? :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

To me they would be as alike as Anna and Emma. I.e., not the same at all. Or Johnny and Ronnie. Mary and Marie. I could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thebigblue

I have a two year old and her name sounds familiar to my bothers child name. There was no issue. Your sister needs to grow up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Thebigblue wrote: »
    I have a two year old and her name sounds familiar to my bothers child name. There was no issue. Your sister needs to grow up

I'm similar. We didn't notice until they were old enough to be shouted at to come inside!!

Advertisement