Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To tamp or not to tamp?

• 21-07-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hi

new to this coffee lark but really enjoying it. One question though, I am about to buy a machine (DeLonghi Icona- special offer in Debenhams reduced from E265 to E133!) and the advice for it and all other machines seems to be to tamp the ground coffee.
    However, the advice for my humble and much-loved Moka is that the grounds are NOT to be tamped.

Apart from the Moka getting to about 2 bar and machines getting to the 15 bar mark, can anyone tell me why one should be tamped and the other not. I could put up links but it is the standard advice on all the sites I have looked at. I'd be interested in the thinking behind this.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is it an espresso machine you are buying? If so you certainly need to tamp and consistently with the same amount of pressure.

The Moka doesn't need tamping as it's a completely different system where tampin would result in problems with the steam passing through the coffee. (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

baaba maal wrote: »
    Hi

new to this coffee lark but really enjoying it. One question though, I am about to buy a machine (DeLonghi Icona- special offer in Debenhams reduced from E265 to E133!) and the advice for it and all other machines seems to be to tamp the ground coffee.
    However, the advice for my humble and much-loved Moka is that the grounds are NOT to be tamped.

Apart from the Moka getting to about 2 bar and machines getting to the 15 bar mark, can anyone tell me why one should be tamped and the other not. I could put up links but it is the standard advice on all the sites I have looked at. I'd be interested in the thinking behind this.

Thanks

I have that machine. My first piece of advice is: don't buy it. It's OK but if you think you're going to actually get into making espresso-based drinks it has two features that are meant to make it idiot-proof but are really annoying. One is the Panarello wand, which injects air through an airhole into the milk, making it much more bubbly/frothy than it should be. The other is that it has a pressurised portafilter, which gives you some crema-looking stuff on your coffee but can jam and choke the machine.

If you are set on buying the machine or have already bought it: yes, you should tamp the coffee. For the bigger (double) dose cup, use about 12.5gms of beans ground to espresso grind and tamp them hard. A 51mm tamper is the right size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Too late! I'm due to "Click & Collect" on Thursday.
    I saw those criticisms made alright, but I didn't want to spend big money on a first machine so it seemed that the specs were good enough.
    Anyhow, I still haven't read an actual explanation of the tamping issue- and maybe I am being over-nerdy:) but just can't see why two systems that both involve passing steam through ground coffee at pressure differ in whether the ground coffee should be compacted or not.

Any coffeeologists care to speculate?:D

Advertisement