Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park GAA secured parking spaces ? WTF

Options
  • 21-07-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

GAA secured parking spaces in South park , could some tell me where there a cap park (spaces) in the park are this going on the the pitches ?

http://connachttribune.ie/gaa-ignores-call-revise-pearse-stadium-floodlights-plan/

Dedicated Cycling and Walking Route with ,
    Facilities:
    Pedestrian Walkway
    1 Gaelic Playing Pitch
    1 Rugby Pitch
    2 Soccer Playing Pitches
    Playground
    Claddagh Basin
    Nimos Pier
    Swans
    Dedicated Cycling and Walking Route
    Planting areas with flowers, shrubs and trees
    Description: Local Neighbourhood Park

ITS NOT CAR PARK GAA , where can i complaint to about this ,

it flood area , and Green area for city people ,

any help please

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

the GAA says it has secured almost 4,500 parking spaces at the
    Aras in Salthill,
    Scoil Einde,
    Colaiste Einde,
    St Mary’s,
    T O’Higgins in Shantalla,
    South Park,
    Moneenageisha,
    Thermo King,
    Trappers Inn,
    Mervue School,
    GMIT
    Castlegar Hurling Club.
    Lol..like we'll ever see that in practice

South Park is Council property OP, that's where you complain. Tbh it looks like the Council said 'you must find 4500 parking spaces or we reject your application', this is the result

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

extraice wrote: »
    ITS NOT CAR PARK GAA

But it can be very easily used as such, like the fields in and around the racecourse will be used for parking next week.

Non objection, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    But it can be very easily used as such, like the fields in and around the racecourse will be used for parking next week.

Yes, but does it have planning to be used as a car park?

Are the rugby and soccer players happy to lose their grounds just because the GAA have a match on?

Isn't it locally known as The Swamp for a good reason - which means it's not highly suitable for things that churn up the ground, like car parking?

extraice wrote: »

ITS NOT CAR PARK GAA , where can i complaint to about this ,

it flood area , and Green area for city people ,

any help please

People complain when people park on the streets, people complain when an alternative is found :rolleyes::rolleyes:

People have little for doing apart from complaining about the GAA.

How may people are going to be using the area as a "green area" in the dark when floodlit matches are going to be taking place??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

People complain when people park on the streets, people complain when an alternative is found :rolleyes::rolleyes:

People have little for doing apart from complaining about the GAA.

How may people are going to be using the area as a "green area" in the dark when floodlit matches are going to be taking place??

People complain when people park on the streets, people complain when a rubbish alternative is found...how many people are realistically going to park in Thermo King or Mervue school to go to a match in Salthill?

This crowd have been caught falsifying planning submissions in the past, they have also ignored previous planning conditions, they are a bunch of cowboys. I think it makes sense to question anything they say, they have no credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Yes, but does it have planning to be used as a car park?

A permanent car park no, but then if we went into that kind of shi*tehawking over everything we'd never be able to put any event on.
    Are the rugby and soccer players happy to lose their grounds just because the GAA have a match on?

They'll be delighted to gouge the GAA for the use of their grounds for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

There are proper tarred surface Car Parks in South Park. If anybody ever attended an event in any of the 2 x Club Houses or attended matches down there they would know that.

Hopefully link works:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Claddagh,+Co.+Galway,+Ireland/@53.2669027,-9.0527196,202m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x485b96fb8557c27b:0xed367a2ba253b5bd

sgthighway wrote: »
    There are proper tarred surface Car Parks in South Park. If anybody ever attended an event in any of the 2 x Club Houses or attended matches down there they would know that.

Hopefully link works:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Claddagh,+Co.+Galway,+Ireland/@53.2669027,-9.0527196,202m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x485b96fb8557c27b:0xed367a2ba253b5bd
    Link works for me - that is the parking I thought about when I read the title.

A quick count suggests there are about 60 marked spaces and about twice as many unmarked spaces - so maybe 180 in total.

Being that close to town could encourage some visitors to stay around for longer than the match / have a meal or evening out in town.

Link works for me - that is the parking I thought about when I read the title.

A quick count suggests there are about 60 marked spaces and about twice as many unmarked spaces - so maybe 180 in total.

Being that close to town could encourage some visitors to stay around for longer than the match / have a meal or evening out in town.

But presumably those car parks are generally is use by the people who are using South Park already, and thus not available just 'cos the GAA decides to hold a match. They are also a drop in the ocean of the 4500 car parks requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

If you look at the Google Maps View you will notice only a small amount of spaces are in use because the rest is not available to the public but the GAA must have got the okay to use the other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I cannot recall any complaints about legal and appropriate parking.

Sconsey wrote: »
    People complain when people park on the streets, people complain when a rubbish alternative is found...how many people are realistically going to park in Thermo King or Mervue school to go to a match in Salthill?

This crowd have been caught falsifying planning submissions in the past, they have also ignored previous planning conditions, they are a bunch of cowboys. I think it makes sense to question anything they say, they have no credibility.

Parking on the other side of the city makes sense if the locations are served by Park & Ride.

However, my bet (based on years of experience) is that parking arrangements will be ignored and not enforced.

Four years on we are still waiting to hear the findings of the official "probe" into the forged Garda signature: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pearse-plans-hit-skids-as-gardai-to-probe-forged-signature-26624329.html

If you or I were guilty of something like that we would have been tried and convicted already.

Pearse Stadium parking plan by GAA described as ‘laughable’.

http://connachttribune.ie/pearse-stadium-parking-plan-gaa-described-laughable/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium parking plan by GAA described as ‘laughable’.

Am I reading things right from that piece in the connaught tribune? Are the people around pearse stadium kicking up a fuss about concerts held there?

There's feck all concerts being held there. Last one I remember was the washout of summer of 2008 and I think westlife played, not that I attended or like westlife but I remember because I was very sick and had to go into westdoc and I remember the non stop rain.

In relation to parking, I don't see a problem. There's plenty of parking in salthill. There is the parking along the prom, the aquarium, the school on threadneedle road, leisureland and all those are walking distances to pearse stadium. There's plenty of parking too in the city and salthill has a regular bus service. I don't see a problem with a park & ride service either.

I don't see a problem with a park & ride service either.

Except that there isn't one.

Next time there's a bit match at Pearce Stadium, go for a walk around there. Ideally accompanied by a child in a buggy.

You'll see soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Except that there isn't one.

Next time there's a bit match at Pearce Stadium, go for a walk around there. Ideally accompanied by a child in a buggy.

You'll see soon enough.
    The same could be said for walking around the area of any stadium the day of a big match.

h2005 wrote: »
    The same could be said for walking around the area of any stadium the day of a big match.

And therefore we conclude...?

And therefore we conclude...?

Not in my back yard would seem to be the conclusion.

I don't follow. NIMBYism is "a pejorative characterization of opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development because it is close to them, often with the connotation that such residents believe that the developments are needed in society but should be further away" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY).

What has that to do with illegal parking, which is equally illegal everywhere?

I don't follow. NIMBYism is "a pejorative characterization of opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development because it is close to them, often with the connotation that such residents believe that the developments are needed in society but should be further away" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY).

What has that to do with illegal parking, which is equally illegal everywhere?

I'm responding to some one saying they can't push a buggy around the area on match day. If the match is held in another stadium someone else will face the exact same problem.

• Advertisement

So what is the right thing to do in such circumstances?

So what is the right thing to do in such circumstances?

Try and find solutions like they are doing. I lived beside Fenway Park for 5 years. That's over 80 games a year and bigger crowds. Stadiums have to go somewhere and there's always going to be someone put out.

So who should be "put out" and how?

So who should be "put out" and how?

In this case it's obviously a number of residents around Pearse Stadium. I would have thought that's pretty clear considering what the thread is discussing. I presume parking and access are the issues.

Residents around the stadium are affected by the rampant illegal parking, as are residents in areas further away. Also affected are people not living near the stadium but who are passing through the area and along routes 1-2 km away, including pedestrians, disabled people, parents pushing buggies, and cyclists. Motorists are also affected by traffic congestion, because many people attending matches try to drive as close to the stadium as possible, ignoring public transport and their own two legs.

Are they all Nimbies?

Residents around the stadium are affected by the rampant illegal parking, as are residents in areas further away. Also affected are people not living near the stadium but who are passing through the area and along routes 1-2 km away, including pedestrians, disabled people, parents pushing buggies, and cyclists. Motorists are also affected by traffic congestion, because many people attending matches try to drive as close to the stadium as possible, ignoring public transport and their own two legs.

Are they all Nimbies?

These are all issues which are faced around any stadium on match day in the country. The issue is with the guards not enforcing the law with regard to illegal parking.

Try and find solutions like they are doing. I lived beside Fenway Park for 5 years. That's over 80 games a year and bigger crowds. Stadiums have to go somewhere and there's always going to be someone put out.

And did people just abandon their cars all over the footpath, across your driveway, on top of fire hydrants, on the green areas etc?

Or did they park legally in the spaces available, with many, many of the visitors using public transport? (Hint ... I remember going to a game there and catching a very full train).

The difference is that many people living in this country have trouble understanding that laws actually apply to them, and thus make a particularly bad job of parking.

Part of the original planning conditions for putting housing onto the hill behind Salthill should have been getting the stadium moved to somewhere with more suitable road and public transport options. This wasn't done, so the city now has a mess of a situation.

The GAA are not known for engaging constructively to find solutions, which is making us even more cynical than usual about their suggesting that one part of the solution is putting 200 car-parks into a flood-prone swamp.

And did people just abandon their cars all over the footpath, across your driveway, on top of fire hydrants, on the green areas etc?

Or did they park legally in the spaces available, with many, many of the visitors using public transport? (Hint ... I remember going to a game there and catching a very full train).

The difference is that many people living in this country have trouble understanding that laws actually apply to them, and thus make a particularly bad job of parking.

Part of the original planning conditions for putting housing onto the hill behind Salthill should have been getting the stadium moved to somewhere with more suitable road and public transport options. This wasn't done, so the city now has a mess of a situation.

The GAA are not known for engaging constructively to find solutions, which is making us even more cynical than usual about their suggesting that one part of the solution is putting 200 car-parks into a flood-prone swamp.

If people did abandon their cars, and on occasion it did happen, the police dealt with it swiftly. The issue as I see it here is the Guards not enforcing the law. I agree about the planning but it is where it is at now. Would the south park parking be needed in months when its a possibility south park is flooded?

many people living in this country have trouble understanding that laws actually apply to them, and thus make a particularly bad job of parking.

The issue as I see it here is the Guards not enforcing the law.

Both of the above statements are true, and there is a direct (inter)relationship between the two. The culture of lazy, selfish, anti-social and illegal parking continues because AGS and the City Council take no effective action, and frequently turn a blind eye (often because of laziness, imo).

Or did they park legally in the spaces available, with many, many of the visitors using public transport?

And again there is a direct relationship between the laissez faire AGS/City Council attitude to illegal parking and the under-utilisation of public transport, Park & Ride etc. The photos below from July 2011 illustrate the situation. Motorists were allowed to park as they pleased with total impunity, while the designated car parks were largely ignored and buses ran nearly empty.

316893.jpg

316894.jpg

316895.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

These are all issues which are faced around any stadium on match day in the country. The issue is with the guards not enforcing the law with regard to illegal parking.

The issue is with more than just the guards, its with the stadium management for ignoring planning restrictions placed on their previous planning permission, and to a lesser extent its with he city council for not enforcing the planning conditions (I've no idea what powers the council actually have to enforce their conditions).

So why should anyone believe that the parking plans submitted at the moment are anything other than a fabrication which they have no intention of following once permission has been granted. The current plan would make a bad situation worse in my opinion.

Advertisement